WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Such awesome photos of grandkids by several of you over the last few months I have been on this thread. I love them all and it puts me in a joyful spirit.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    Lanette - the puppy I shared photos of is my daughter’s. We were going to get one of its siblings for ourselves, but that’s not meant to be.

I’ve been corrected about the Halloween costume for the “old lady”, apparently she is a crazy cat lady, it doesn’t show in the picture I shared but her bathrobe is covered with can’t and her slippers are cats. Lol

Tracey
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,959 Member
    Hi!
    Thanks for the new thread, Barbie!

Fae, happy birthday!

My Dad insisted on passing out candy for Halloween. Now we wait two weeks and see if he was careful enough about it.

I told my Mom that I would start doing the evening cooking now that the time has changed. I hope the transition goes smoothly! Last time I tried, she hovered and criticized too much. It was impossible.

Annie in Delaware
  • Faetta
    My friend was having back and leg issues and a bit cranky, so she had my lunch delivered. I missed going out to the beautiful and super sanitary restaurant and girl chatter, but I am having a good day here alone watching bowling and now eating my dessert of espresso ice cream. Not really missing the margarita. I am not much of a drinker except for an occasional glass of local bottled wine or locally brewed beer.

Fae getting ready for a long walk on this cool but sunny day
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    No trick o treaters yesterday, kinda expected that. Oh well, we get to eat the candy!!!!! 😁
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Machka - thank you for putting 2020 into perspective. Last century, countless families were impacted by wars. This virus is a war of sorts, but the vast majority of us will survive and learn from it.

I found Tim Spector on Twitter yesterday, and he's moved from researching the microbiome to Covid. It's fascinating, for me, to read about what's happening in the UK with lockdowns and how the virus is acting there. Looks like they are working on predicting who gets the "Long Covid" (takes a long time - sometime months- to recover, major medical intervention) - and who gets over it quickly with mild symptoms, and in between. Kate and you gals in the UK probably get this info on your nightly news.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Sometimes it takes things like this to advance medical research. One thing I'm hoping for is that because the common cold is also a coronavirus, by pouring research into COVID-19, perhaps it will be possible to find a vaccine or better treatment plans for the common cold.

At the very least, we know that washing our hands, cleaning and distancing works to reduce instances of the flu ... and possibly the cold as well. So perhaps during cold and flu season in the years ahead, we'll be strongly encouraged to wash our hands, clean and distance.

Machka in Oz
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,721 Member
    Fae ... Happy Birthday!

Heather ... Happy Belated Birthday!

I was looking at the photos of grands earlier and my son asked what I was looking at that had put a smile on my face ... all of your photos of course!!

Went to church for the first time today since March. I wasn't real comfortable even though it wasn't crowded. Still, will probably attend regularly (until told otherwise) as there is something different about being with others during worship.

We are under a storm advisory for 4-7 inches of wintry mix snow ... It looks like we're on the edge of the advisory, so I'm hoping it just edges itself away.

Got on the scale this morning ... no more, no less. So, it's time to get back at it to end 2020 with healthy habits that will take me into what will hopefully be a much, much better new year.

Beth near Buffalo
  • Faetta
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka - thank you for putting 2020 into perspective. Last century, countless families were impacted by wars. This virus is a war of sorts, but the vast majority of us will survive and learn from it.

I found Tim Spector on Twitter yesterday, and he's moved from researching the microbiome to Covid. It's fascinating, for me, to read about what's happening in the UK with lockdowns and how the virus is acting there. Looks like they are working on predicting who gets the "Long Covid" (takes a long time - sometime months- to recover, major medical intervention) - and who gets over it quickly with mild symptoms, and in between. Kate and you gals in the UK probably get this info on your nightly news.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Sometimes it takes things like this to advance medical research. One thing I'm hoping for is that because the common cold is also a coronavirus, by pouring research into COVID-19, perhaps it will be possible to find a vaccine or better treatment plans for the common cold.

At the very least, we know that washing our hands, cleaning and distancing works to reduce instances of the flu ... and possibly the cold as well. So perhaps during cold and flu season in the years ahead, we'll be strongly encouraged to wash our hands, clean and distance.

Machka in Oz

The problem with "the common cold" is it can be caused by 200 different viruses all that would require a different vaccine. You are exactly correct that what many have learned during this pandemic will drastically reduce colds and other viruses if practiced by a majority. It is definitely something that I hope will be taught in elementary school health. Interesting read https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/common_cold_causes
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Pip- We had 1 trick or treater. We now have loads of leftover candy. I’d rather not keep it in the house. As they say—Once on the lips, forever on the hips. I’m trying to figure out how to donate the candy & have thought about the food bank & Senior Center. Advice WELCOME!

Katla
  • pipcd34
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Pip- We had 1 trick or treater. We now have loads of leftover candy. I’d rather not keep it in the house. As they say—Once on the lips, forever on the hips. I’m trying to figure out how to donate the candy & have thought about the food bank & Senior Center. Advice WELCOME!

Katla
    If it’s those individually wrapped, I would try the local food bank. Call 1st b4 going and ask them for suggestions if they can’t or won’t. We r going to eat ours. It will take a hella long time. Maybe 1 piece a night. I will add it to my calorie count as usual cuz otherwise I can do some serious damage to a Costco bag of candy
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Did only ½ hr of Wii training games. For some reason, it hurts in one spot every time I step down on my left foot. Well, I go for my annual physical in a few weeks and I think I can manage until then. Then I worked some on the jigsaw puzzle. I swear, it can be so addictive. Won’t do any formal exercise tomorrow since I’m working and then we have bowling. Steve is going to come in the evening.

We only had about 40% of the kids we usually have for t-or-t. The thing that really s***s about this whole pandemic thing is that kids won’t get to sit on Santa’s lap. Thank you China.

Evelyn – you’re not the only person with a clock radio. We have one, too.

Barbara
    – I did the flying chicken today. I have done the penguin before, but like I said, my foot is hurting. Almost like I have a plantar wart. I know what the md is going to say “go to an orthopedist” and they’ll do an x-ray first. BTDT.

M
    – your legs not get dinner?....lol

Patti – welcome. That’s OK that you’re feeling “down”. We all get that way sometimes. It just becomes a problem if it lasts too long. Like last night I was feeling “down” but now it’s over

Fae
    – very happy birthday. You certainly have had an adventurous life!

Fed my sourdough this morning, now waiting for it to double in size. We have to go out so I’ll get it ready to rise while we’re out and then bake the bread when we get home.

Luci – was wondering where you were? Are you still babysitting? We only lost power for a few minutes, but it was mighty windy here.

Katla – as you know, I volunteer at the soup kitchen. Every Friday they get a “to go” bag. The idea being that they have something for over the weekend. Many times they put a piece of candy in the bag. The other day we served over 160. Do you have over 160 pieces of candy? Probably not. So if they get just one piece, I don’t think that’ll be too bad. A lot of what is served is what is donated, pizza, hamburgers, cake/cookies. I would say to donate it. Friday they got an M&M ice cream sandwich with their lunch (not in the bag). I’ve seen them get Ghirardelli chocolates, Dove chocolates, all kinds of chips,

Started taking down the Halloween decorations. Vince wants to make a quick cut of the front lawn to get rid of the onion grass, then a little bit of a break and then the Christmas decorations.

Tracey – this year can’t go by fast enough for me. 77 isn’t old! 97 IS, but not 77. Thanks for the pics of the kiddos. So cute!

Cleaned the kitchen floor. Wish I could find something that would put a shine on the floor.

Finished the 1000 piece jigsawpuzzle.

Fae – do you regularly watch bowling??? Vince does. Kyle Troup’s home bowling lanes are Pin Station, where we have our senior bowling.

Michele NC

q1g4kjwtvmzf.jpg

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,284 Member
    bwcetc wrote: »

You all have been talking about cold temps. We had snow flurries all day yesterday and this morning there was a hard frost. Monday we may see some snow land ... we'll see.

My younger son has made the decision to not renew his lease in Nashville, but move home to look for work. He spent all of yesterday showing me photos of beautiful chocolate lab puppies. It was tough, but I stuck to my guns ... no more dogs right now.

Beth near Buffalo

Beth - snow flurries! My DH just found a "woolly worm" on the front porch, it's mostly black with a little orange stripe in the middle like the one at the top of this poster. Looks like La Nina is on schedule - here comes winter!

bof037jzecfl.jpg

Hope your son gets his things moved home safely and quickly if they aren't already. Good job not giving in to a new pup. Labs are so cute... such nice personalities...so friendly, lol. >:)

Margaret - what a nice stone for you son's memory. Every time I see a photo of Drew I think of what a well-timed blessing she is for you. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🤎🖤🤍
  • pipcd34
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family to farmers market- 33.42min, 78ahr, 1.55mi= 158c
    Strava app = 188c
    Zwift bike trainer- 1hr 35sec, 12.4amph, 778elev, 107ahr, 141ahr, calibration was definitely ohh, 12.49mi= 413c
    Strava app = 377c
    Walk- pickup dinner- 14.06min, 3.10ap, .78mi= 78c
    Strava app = 95c

Total cal 649
  • Faetta
    Lanette The wooly worm predictions and your DH's discovery certainly fit with all the predictions I have heard plus what I am seeing with the spider webs around here. It looks like we are in for a bad one. I haven't checked the Old Farmer's Almanac, but I heard it is also predicting a bad winter.

Michele I watch a lot of bowling especially the women. Kyle and his hair pick are a bit much for me lol! Belmonte has always fascinated me. I get tickled at the names like The Big Nasty. I really like Danielle McEwan and Shannon O'Keefe. I go back to the days of Earl Anthony and his smooth style and then Amleto Monacelli that had the awesome high backswing. I was never very good. In the final year, I bowl, I averaged about 187 or so. I did it for the fun and socializing with the girls. I was the only single one on the team, but we all wore short skirts and I was always the best behaved of the bunch. I guess the others with husbands and kids needed to have that time to let their hair down. I bowl on a girls' team during my final year in high school. I threw a straight ball in those days and had a 125 average. I was in my late 20's before I threw a hook after getting a fingertip ball.

Katla I had one candy seeker last night according to my neighbor. I had blinds shut and lights off. O never heard the bell although the neighbor says the teen pushed it repeated before he yelled at him that I was old, mean, and crazy and he best stop and leave. I never heard anything. Sleep great!

Allie You can't be like me when you grow up because I haven't grown up yet and doubt I ever will. I think I am returning to my teens.

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes.

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    Michele - nice puzzle. I have bought another one and will probably start it this week.

Tracey
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    ☘️ Terri
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    edited November 2020
    Fae – a bowling average of 187 is nothing to sneeze at. I’m thrilled when I break 100!!! But then again, I go more for the socialization and to have fun. I have no idea what my average is, I do know that the last time I looked my handicap was over 100…lol You…best behaved??????? Those gals must have really been a handful….lol I throw a backup ball. I have one mean curve, only I can’t control it. I’m Miss consistently inconsistent. I can bowl a strike, then get 2 gutter balls. After over 40 years I got a new ball. Why did I get it? Because it was pretty, that’s why. Is there a better reason for getting a new ball?

Katla
    - Remember, that's 160 for one day and they serve 5 days/week. That's 800 meals/week (about, some days it's less, some days it's more). One piece of candy won't hurt.

Michele NC