Coronavirus prep

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Re Australia question Some people have second homes. They had to stay in one state if the borders were locked.
    There were some exemption for essential travellers, but going to a holiday home was not one of them.

Same for us, here in Italy, you could not go to vacation homes. People would check and report you (everyone knows which homes are vacation). Police stopped cars on the road, and you had to have permission for where you were going--work, humanitarian (helping an elderly relative), etc. This was during Lockdown last spring. We are going into another Lockdown. The numbers keep climbing. My husband's cousins are all down with COVID. Luckily we haven't seen them for over 3 weeks.

Oh no :( I hope your dh's cousins all recover quickly and without issues.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member

Hope everyone stays safe this week. Have a feeling that this will be a very violent and scary week in the US. I plan on drinking quite a bit on Tuesday night. Hopefully, AZ will make pot legal on Tuesday -- we have a ballot initiative for up to six plants or one ounce on Tuesday's ballot. I could use some pot brownies on Tuesday.

Oh, big news too -- the wife's doc appointment went better than expected. The doc seemed pleased with her progress already on her blood work. He wants her to lose a little weight, but overall, was really impressed with how proactive we are related to exercise and diet. Her potassium was just under the "normal" reading but most of the rest of the numbers, including blood sugar, were now decent. So huge relief but we're continuing with eliminating most of our added sugars.

Unfortunately agree with the possible violence.

Did have a question. If legal pot is on the ballot Tuesday where are you going to get the pot brownies on Tuesday :)? In IL it took a while for the dispensaries to get up and running.

Good luck to your wife.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Hope everyone stays safe this week. Have a feeling that this will be a very violent and scary week in the US. I plan on drinking quite a bit on Tuesday night. Hopefully, AZ will make pot legal on Tuesday -- we have a ballot initiative for up to six plants or one ounce on Tuesday's ballot. I could use some pot brownies on Tuesday.

Oh, big news too -- the wife's doc appointment went better than expected. The doc seemed pleased with her progress already on her blood work. He wants her to lose a little weight, but overall, was really impressed with how proactive we are related to exercise and diet. Her potassium was just under the "normal" reading but most of the rest of the numbers, including blood sugar, were now decent. So huge relief but we're continuing with eliminating most of our added sugars.

Unfortunately agree with the possible violence.

Did have a question. If legal pot is on the ballot Tuesday where are you going to get the pot brownies on Tuesday :)? In IL it took a while for the dispensaries to get up and running.

Good luck to your wife.

LOL, teasing about the pot. I didn't react well to it when I was younger. If it passes, we'll be able to grow 6 plants for personal use. I'd have to look more into it, as (I think) they are saying you'd have to have it in a locked cabinet, child proof, even if you don't have kids. And it can't be out in the open, which would actually make it quite easy to grow in AZ if you could put it in the open.

My wife qualifies now (with Fibro) for the pot if we bothered to get it medically now. But growing it would certainly be much cheaper.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Re Australia question Some people have second homes. They had to stay in one state if the borders were locked.
    There were some exemption for essential travellers, but going to a holiday home was not one of them.

Same for us, here in Italy, you could not go to vacation homes. People would check and report you (everyone knows which homes are vacation). Police stopped cars on the road, and you had to have permission for where you were going--work, humanitarian (helping an elderly relative), etc. This was during Lockdown last spring. We are going into another Lockdown. The numbers keep climbing. My husband's cousins are all down with COVID. Luckily we haven't seen them for over 3 weeks.

Thanks. So both Australia and Italy are approaching things similar to parts of the US.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,848 Member
    I’m pretty sure that people all over the US have vacation homes elsewhere. Here (Minnesota) many people winter in southern states, and have summer homes on lakes in Minnesota. At the time of lockdown, there were restrictions, but whether or not they were enforced, who knows. It’s pretty much go where you want within the US. The logistics for enforcement seem difficult. My sister has been to California several times during this to visit her grandchildren. I have a friend who leaves for 6 weeks in Arizona in two days. My husband’s cousin is leaving for Arizona until April on 11/15.
    The airlines are going to be opening middle seating, if they haven’t already. Cruise lines are resuming sailing in US waters, with no passengers, yet. Does anyone remember how this started? It seems kind of hopeless sometimes.

I did not mean to imply that the northeast was the only area. I was just speaking to the region I am in and where people here tend to travel.

We happen to have three homes; Massachusetts, Maine, and Florida keys and have experienced restrictions at times during these months. In the Spring, the keys locked down their access with a checkpoint. To enter, one had to produce proof of ownership/residency. All renters already there, with less than a 1 month lease, were thrown out with couple day notice and one area (Key Colony) threw out anyone with less than a 3 month lease, even if you were already there and had been there since before COVID started. We returned to Mass beginning of May, and was required to quarantine 14 days even though Massachusetts was a higher risk state than where we just came from. Shortly there after, Maine began a moratorium on people coming into the state. If one entered, 14 day quarantine or proof of negative covid test was required. It applied to many states for the first 2 months, then only targeted Massachusetts the last. Now that the summer season is over, Maine has lifted their restrictions, but I fulling expect that they will put them back in place once ski season arrives. Massachusetts continues to have their own travel restrictions that requires anyone traveling from a state of higher COVID risk (not easy to look up - or at least for me) is required to 14 day quarantine or proof of negative covid test. Hubby just went through that last week after bringing his mother back to her home in Florida. He got home that Sunday night, quarantined until Wednesday for an incubation period and make the test useful, and then took his test. Thankfully negative. Current Massachusetts fine, if caught, is $500/day for not quarantining.

For flying, fly JetBlue for now. They are still blocking middle seats until end of year, and one statement sounded like into 1st quarter next year. Now, if they would stop handing my husband cheese-its for their pre-assembled snack. :P
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I started going back to the gym in July. I don't wear a mask. I use common sense and wipe everything down, like I did before. My family and I go out to eat as well. If the establishment didn't require a mask, I wouldn't wear one. The virus is not going away, and I'm going to live my life with common sense.

I hope this means that if you or your family get sick, you will not seek medical attention and just 'live it out' at home.

I'm pretty sure I had it back in February. Yes, if one of us were to get sick, we would stay home. Like I said, common sense. I don't believe in thin paper masks. I don't believe in everyone just staying home. The virus is not going away.

This is WHY it's not going away. It's frustrating that some of us haven't seen our family for months and other people are just going to the gym without masks. You can't even get a sense that "we're all in this together" because some people are acting like there is no "us" to even consider.

So, wearing masks is going to make the virus magically disappear? People should wear masks during Flu season, maybe the Flu virus will go away.