WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)<3Lisa, happy that you are feeling well enough to post a bit more. Best wishes for continued recovery.

:) Still no haircut for me. I may have to trim my bangs soon.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    In the first vol of my memoir I wrote about how my bestest friend Derek, who was four years older than me, told me that there was no such thing as Father Christmas when I was four years old. It was just daddy dressed up. I felt nothing but relief that the world wasn't some weird place where supernatural beings could materialise. I preferred reality.
    I remember telling my parents that I didn’t believe. I was on the floor playing with something and had my back to them. "I don't believe in Father Christmas" "Derek says....." I could feel them freeze. Then very calmly they said, "Don't tell Richard", (my little brother.) "You can still have your stocking. It doesn't make any difference. "
    I remember the relief that they didn’t try and argue with me. :D My world was all the safer.

Had my hair trimmed. B)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,962 Member
    Very windy here today.

I gave up cutting my hair years ago and now it is down to my waist. Thinner than I would like, but I don't stress about it. It's not hard to care for at all. I put henna on it myself to cover the grey sparkles.

Last night I broke my eating window for the first time. I was feeling woozy. Probably not real hunger as I had a very big lunch. But I had some popcorn and then quit. So the damage wasn't too bad.

Annie in Delaware
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited November 2020
    Thanksgiving Sucks Also

It is not a female friendy day. The round table sharing of what we are thankful for was always my favorite. Just a bunch of steaming bull poo. I was always honest which didn't go over well.

"I am thankful that I have the brains to plan ahead of time. I am thankful that I get up early so I can get things going while the old man sleeps in. I am thankful for the Christian Brothers brandy that is in my fourth cup of mocha. God bless those brothers coming to my aide. I am thankful for my mouth stuffed with mid-morning gooey heavy saturated cinnamon roll while I bend over the counter cutting celery and preparing a bread stuffing to shove up the highly chemical raised, blue-colored, over sodium infused turkeys butt.

I am thankful the old man put on fresh boxers this morning while he wanders around the kitchen looking for something to eat. I am thankful for my refrigerator with an open door buzzer that brought to my attention he didn't close the door after his fourth attempt looking to locate the gallon milk jug which he finally found in the same place it has always been. I am thankful it was empty. I am thankful that Wal Mart is open so he can go buy more milk. I am thankful that I remembered to take his only pair of sweats out of the dryer so he could dress for Wal Mart shopping. I am thankful for my dog Spot that found his football slippers where he left them yesterday.

I am thankful he was gone for an hour so I could put on some old rock and roll and twist with Chubby Checkers instead of that barroom hangover poor me puke crap he calls music. The happiest song they play is a lie. Something about waltzing across Texas. No woman has ever had time to waltz across her yard, let alone Texas. I am thankful that I have a low gag factor and watching all the food being shoved down like it was a timed event with the resulting belching and farting, doesn't phase me. I am thankful for my earplugs to block the blaring football game with all the arguments over calls by the refs. I am thankful I hid the last of my cash so, in the event that the old man loses, they will take his old Hog that takes up storage space in my garage.

I am thankful that no one found my last bottle of Jose Cuervo. Forget the salt and lime, it is straight out of the bottle baby! I am thankful Jose will help me through the massive cleanup after the meal is devoured while others argue about how to divide the leftovers during game breaks. I am thankful for those that keep their pants buttoned. I am thankful I am single and this prayer is offered on behalf of all unappreciated women across the USA, may God bless them each and every one. AMEN!!!"

Fae that always helps girlfriends with all the Spanksgiving preparations and clean up
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    1756773k3idbu3mjk.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Michele- I am aware of a Meals on Wheels program sponsored by the senior center in our city. Homebound seniors or disabled get their meal delivered and those who are mobile can get it a meal at the senior center. I don’t know if there is a fee. Our school district feeds children in need. Portland is a much larger city and had drop in locations for homeless people for many years. I’m not sure whether that is up and running due to the pandemic and rioting that occurred there. We haven’t had a hard frost in our area so far this season. Forecasts are calling for change. There has been a forecast for possible snow next week. I’ll be among those who are surprised if it actually happens. :star:

Heather- I hope things turn out well for people in your area. We’ve been in “lockdown” mode for a long time. It appears that will continue. Grocery stores are open, and some restaurants are open with social distancing in place. Other restaurants are offering take out. :ohwell:

Terri- We had a zoom meeting for a city meeting in our town that was hacked by outsiders. I briefly saw an oriental face. I refuse to use my own computer for a public zoom meeting. I don’t want anyone “mining” my computer for financial or other information. :noway: You are lovely & your hair is nearly as long as mine. I’ve been trimming my own bangs since January. The rest of my hair is getting longer & longer. It hasn’t been this long since college days. :star:

Barbara- It has always been our plan to drop off the remains of our candy at the food bank in the next few days. We regularly donate beverage cans to them. The cans can be redeemed for ten cents each and used to buy food to give to those in need. We certainly don’t need candy! “Once on the lips, forever on the hips-“—

Lisa- It is wonderful to see you posting again. You have been missed!!! :heart:

Faetta- I’m not in favor of dirty old men who put on a costume so they can grope children. Most of the Santas that I have seen in recent years are outside of the grocery stores and ringing bells to help feed the hungry. I haven’t been inside a mall since the CoVid pandemic came along. :heart:

Pip- Beautiful photo! :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    edited November 2020
    Katla - We've been on covid restrictions for many months, this lockdown is much stricter, basically stay at home unless you have to go out. Don't meet more than one person and only in a public space, not a garden. No restaurants open.
    It starts on Thursday, so we may try to fit in a meal sitting outside at Fatto a Mano on Wednesday lunch time when the weather might be better. Chilly, but sunny. DH and I have not been out together since March. We can wrap up. :D
    DH is hoping to walk on the hills with his cricket friend on Thursday.
    On Friday we still hope to meet the kids at a loooooong distance in the park as they come home from school. Either side of the path is possible. Then either side of the road. ;) We can shout!

DH has made the Christmas cake. He consulted me about technical issues with the KitchenAid, but otherwise managed perfectly. The cake is in the oven now. :)

The hairdresser was busy as everyone was trying to best the deadline for lockdown. I just had a very quick trim, no washing or drying. Mask and visor were worn by the cutter. I was in a mask. Everything sanitised, temp taken. Hands washed.
    I'm feeling a bit conflicted about the national lockdown as cases are still fairly low here and nearly all of them are at the two universities. Locally almost nothing and no deaths at all for the whole city.

Cake smells deeeevine! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Faetta
    edited November 2020
    Practicing cell phone posting from eye docs. Wore wide leg jeans and heel booties for a change. 2jbvc0yferp4.jpeg

• Katla49
    edited November 2020
    Heather- DH had a hair trim with the beautician October 1. Everyone was masked, and distances were 6 feet apart. They took temperatures before they'd let a customer into the shop. My dentist's office did the same a few months ago. Our county is doing much better than average in Oregon at taking care of public health with the Covid pandemic. We're hoping things go as well in round two. I haven't had a professional haircut since New Year's. I've been cutting my own bangs and letting the rest grow.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • winsby
    winsby Posts: 2 Member
    Totally new to this page, so good to see the encouragement flowing all around this page. We, no matter where we live, all have the same kinds of problems, dreams, fears and successes in our lives and it is great to hear/see some of the best here. Am probably a little older than some on this page but this doesn't matter to me because it is so nice to see the sharing. Have been using MFP for about 4 months and have found faithfully logging in every day is working very well. Down 25 pounds since first of 2020 and now hubby, recently diagnosed with diabetes, has joined me and is already down about 15 pounds (why do men lose weight faster than women...doesn't seem fair, huh?). It makes losing weight much easier if your partner is also watching what they eat as it makes cooking/shopping so much easier. We try to plan foods that are high in vitamins and low in fats. We live in the heart of the Sonoma/Napa wine country where wine is served everywhere with lots of great foods...gave up alcohol completely which really helps in weight loss....but we're no fun anymore!

One tip: saw someone had posted a list of menopause problems, one was breast pain. I've had breast pain since I was a young woman and had a doctor tell me to take 400 mg of vitamin E every day and it would go away. Tried this and found it to be true. When I have to stop taking it the breast pain returns in a few days, restart the vitamin E pills again and it's gone in a few days. Can make your life more comfortable. Doctor said not to take more than the 400 mg dose though.

Hope all have a wonderful day today.
  • Katla49
    Rita- So many people are locked down that chatting here is an important connection for many of us. Speaking for myself, you don't have to keep up when you are busy. I'll be happy to see your posts when you're able to find time. :heart:
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)<3Lisa, happy that you are feeling well enough to post a bit more. Best wishes for continued recovery.

:) Still no haircut for me. I may have to trim my bangs soon.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Oh, yes. I honestly don't remember the last time I had an actual hair cut. It must be at least a year -- I think it was well before COVID. I have been trimming it myself. Even gave myself some wispy bangs, which I had to trim again this morning. But I do badly need a good cut. For another time, I guess.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    On Friday we still hope to meet the kids at a loooooong distance in the park as they come home from school. Either side of the path is possible. Then either side of the road. ;) We can shout!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

All that locked down and such small gatherings, even outside, and the kids are still going to school?

I get so confused by all of this -- I can't follow the logic of not allowing a group of four or five to gather outside and yet allowing kids to sit indoors in a classroom with a bunch of other germy kids.

Here, I can go to work and be in a classroom with germy college kids with masks and socially distanced, but my 14 year old has to attend his school virtually.

I am curious to see what our state ends up doing. Our cases are up, but not as bad as the rest of the country. I don't think the US has the stomach for another lockdown like we had in the spring. So I will be surprised to see it.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • Faetta
    Pressures great at 10 both eyes, but test show damage in right eye that may be problem in the test as it doesn’t’t make sense so repeat test in Jan. No more drops for now but waiting for blood test to check for eye health necessary vitamins. Big delay as the tech doesn’t understand docs orders and waiting for reply. My stomach is growling. Missed my brunch and late for lunch
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,639 Member
    Afternoon ladies
    Its quite the blustery day today.. ran some errands, but sm back with Alfie and Homer...
    I called the insurance company holy moly there is all sorts of hoops and bells and whistles to be able to genetic testing..so here is hoping that the drs office can contact the insurance company to find out what i really have to pay for this..
    Oh well..Homer giving me what for..
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,962 Member
    I did two minutes on my mini stepper. Last time I started this, it didn't last. But maybe this time will go better. I can feel it in my quadriceps which is much better than knee pain. Maybe all those lunges did some good.

Annie in Delaware