What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• As you size down the pockets in your trousers size down to. Only half my iPhone fits in my jeans now.

Oh the whole pockets on women’s trousers thing frustrates me so much. Even my 6 year old daughter comments on how silly it is that girls trousers have shallow or even fake pockets.

The thing I hadn’t expected or really thought about is how difficult it is to understand your size when you lose weight. Before I knew I was a size 22 (U.K.), I knew which shops I could buy clothes from and what styles would suit me.

Now 33lbs lighter I go into a shop, can’t try anything on because of Covid, and honestly have no idea what size to buy. I look, hold things up against me, but just can’t gauge at all whether something will be too big, too small or just right. I’ve sent back so many clothes recently.

I don't mind shopping online, but I'm running into the same thing. I live in a cold climate, and I'd like some 3/4 sleeve cotton t-shirts to wear around the house, in colors besides white, black, and grey. I didn't THINK that was a big ask. Apparently it is. Of course, when I was fat I could get them in fifteen colors and four or five prints. (sigh) But I'm on the verge of sizing out of that company's line of clothing.

Same thing with my underwear. I love the thick cotton thongs that Cacique makes, but they don't make straight sizes. So when I drop two more pant sizes, I won't fit in their product any more.

• suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    As you size down the pockets in your trousers size down to. Only half my iPhone fits in my jeans now.

Oh the whole pockets on women’s trousers thing frustrates me so much. Even my 6 year old daughter comments on how silly it is that girls trousers have shallow or even fake pockets.

The thing I hadn’t expected or really thought about is how difficult it is to understand your size when you lose weight. Before I knew I was a size 22 (U.K.), I knew which shops I could buy clothes from and what styles would suit me.

Now 33lbs lighter I go into a shop, can’t try anything on because of Covid, and honestly have no idea what size to buy. I look, hold things up against me, but just can’t gauge at all whether something will be too big, too small or just right. I’ve sent back so many clothes recently.

I don't mind shopping online, but I'm running into the same thing. I live in a cold climate, and I'd like some 3/4 sleeve cotton t-shirts to wear around the house, in colors besides white, black, and grey. I didn't THINK that was a big ask. Apparently it is. Of course, when I was fat I could get them in fifteen colors and four or five prints. (sigh) But I'm on the verge of sizing out of that company's line of clothing.

Same thing with my underwear. I love the thick cotton thongs that Cacique makes, but they don't make straight sizes. So when I drop two more pant sizes, I won't fit in their product any more.

Do they have Chico’s in the UK? I go to their outlet store for 3/4 sleeve cotton tees in lots of colors. They don’t pill and hold their shape. And because it is the outlet, they aren’t pricey. I also think LLBean carries them. Sorry, I’m not familiar with UK based stores.

That is all I wear on the winter. I Get way too hot to wear sweaters indoors. Good luck!
  • suzij27 wrote: »
    As you size down the pockets in your trousers size down to. Only half my iPhone fits in my jeans now.

Do they have Chico’s in the UK? I go to their outlet store for 3/4 sleeve cotton tees in lots of colors. They don’t pill and hold their shape. And because it is the outlet, they aren’t pricey. I also think LLBean carries them. Sorry, I’m not familiar with UK based stores.

That is all I wear on the winter. I Get way too hot to wear sweaters indoors. Good luck!

I'm in the USA, so that helps.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,930 Member

I picked up a new with tags still on pair of denim shorts at a second-hand store. They fit fine even though I couldn't figure out the size number. But the pockets were TINY.

I went online to look, and as it turns out it was a boys' size, not a men's size. Go figure. I think they were mislabeled; I shouldn't have fit in them, but I do. But why the tiny pockets?
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member

Have you tried JC Penney? Their ST John's Bay line of Tees come in both women's and missy sizes and they are very reasonably priced and have frequent sales. I love to buy this line as the Tees, sweaters and jeans are inexpensive, come in many colors and last quite well.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,070 Member
    spr931 wrote: »

My body reacts differently now to my cycle. it sneaks up on me because I don't get the achy breasts or the crampiness I used to. I still get the bloating and the PMS just on a much smaller scale. So I really gotta pay attention to my calendar and had to install an app on my phone for reminders that its coming because a couple of my cycles started and I didnt feel Any of the "warning" signs of the cramps, bloat, etc..

I'm at 29 BMI down from 40 - and have noticed less pain and discomfort as well. In fact it's wonderful how much less I have to deal with. I also notice if I lift weights around that time I can't as heavily but cramping is reduced. That's nice.
  • Sand_TIger wrote: »
    spr931 wrote: »

My body reacts differently now to my cycle. it sneaks up on me because I don't get the achy breasts or the crampiness I used to. I still get the bloating and the PMS just on a much smaller scale. So I really gotta pay attention to my calendar and had to install an app on my phone for reminders that its coming because a couple of my cycles started and I didnt feel Any of the "warning" signs of the cramps, bloat, etc..

I'm at 29 BMI down from 40 - and have noticed less pain and discomfort as well. In fact it's wonderful how much less I have to deal with. I also notice if I lift weights around that time I can't as heavily but cramping is reduced. That's nice.

I really can't tell changes in my symptoms from weight loss from the changes in my cycle due to perimenopause. Since I turned 40, it's like every month all the symptoms get put in a box and shaken up, and then a certain number (which has been getting less and less over the years) show up at random times during the PMS and actual TOM itself. So I just never know. I'm at the end of the month and spotting so it SHOULD be any time now. Of course, that has no bearing on anything any more. (sigh)
  • BabyMonkeh
    BabyMonkeh Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2020
    Sitting (particularly in baths) and laying (particularly in beds) will become ever increasingly uncomfortable.[/quote]

Why are these things uncomfortable when you lose weight? Curious!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!