Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How early is too early for Christmas?

claireychn074
claireychn074 Posts: 1,321 Member
It’s been a hard, odd year, and a lot of people are suffering with country-wide lockdowns, illness or politics. So let’s have a debate which hopefully will not end up getting closed (unlike my last one 😱).

I LOVE Christmas and need the joy and sparkle this year, not to mention helping others is really needed right now. I have broken out my Christmas jumpers, am starting to make Christmas donations, and may have to bake mince pies this weekend whilst playing Michael Buble: is this too early for Christmas joy??

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,091 Member
    I'm not a very Christmassy person, for me I'd say December is appropriate. But hey, whatever floats your boat!

That being said, the situation in our country is making it less and less likely we'll have a proper Christmas, we'll be lucky if we're allowed even small Christmas gatherings. So I'm not sure if we'll get much Christmas cheer here :confused:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I'm not a very Christmassy person, for me I'd say December is appropriate. But hey, whatever floats your boat!

That being said, the situation in our country is making it less and less likely we'll have a proper Christmas, we'll be lucky if we're allowed even small Christmas gatherings. So I'm not sure if we'll get much Christmas cheer here :confused:

I feel like my entire life I've been watching Christmas movies and specials with the moral of "Christmas is a state of mind and what we make of it, even in hard or unusual circumstances." The media has been prepping me for this!

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    For me Christmas doesn't start until after Thanksgiving.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    If starting Christmas early makes you happy, then you should do it.

For me, in a normal year, it has to be after Thanksgiving...usually I put up the tree the first week of December.

This year, everything Christmas is going to depress me, because I know I won't be able to see all my family and celebrate like we usually do. I'm not doing well with the "everything is normal" crowd.
  • janejellyroll
    Well I live in Canada and our Thanksgiving is in October!! And my Christmas decorations came out this week! After the year we've had, it's nice to see the lights and feel the peace and nostalgia that comes with them! I will start baking this weekend and Christmas prep at my parents' house! In my husband's native Dominican Republic, decorations come out the first of October. Soooo I figure it is entirely at your discretion! Happy decorating!

Okay, but your user name is PERFECT for this discussion.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,321 Member
    @janejellyroll I didn’t read that into your comments at all: I think a lot of people (me) are a little tense about stuff right now and I thought this discussion might be fun and get some Grinches to come out and grumble at the overly-festive. But I also didn't think that some people are gutted they can’t see family so I also hope I haven’t upset anyone!
  • janejellyroll
    @janejellyroll I didn’t read that into your comments at all: I think a lot of people (me) are a little tense about stuff right now and I thought this discussion might be fun and get some Grinches to come out and grumble at the overly-festive. But I also didn't think that some people are gutted they can’t see family so I also hope I haven’t upset anyone!

2020's "gift," we all get to be on edge about something. :s

I think this is a good topic, you can't be the only person who wants to dive headfirst into what is often a comforting and cozy time of year.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I don't get Christmasy until after Remembrance day (nov 11) at the earliest
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I still have my Halloween decorations up... welcome to 2020 :laugh:
  • janejellyroll
    I still have my Halloween decorations up... welcome to 2020 :laugh:

Mine are still up too, but that's just because I hate saying goodbye to Halloween!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I'm a curmudgeon who always complains about Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving, because it just seems wrong to me, but it's not something I mean seriously, and really it's more about stores doing it than people. In fact, I like seeing all my neighbors' decorations. I have a fall-themed wreath that I put up and only replace it with the Christmas one (which I will buy) after Thanksgiving, but if others decorate sooner I will enjoy it. Also, a lot of the decorations are not that holiday specific -- my neighbor has had lights in her backyard since it started getting dark so early, and I love them (they aren't Christmas themed, but even red and green colored lights strike me as more for winter than Christmas alone -- I kept my house lights up into February last year).

These days it seems like more and more the rule is anytime after Halloween, and while I joke about this, I absolutely do think you should do whatever makes you happy, especially this year.

I usually get out some Advent things as soon as Advent starts (Nov 29 this year), and put up lights, but actually get my tree later -- this is partially since I do try to avoid having Christmas completely obliterate Advent, but mostly because I have a December birthday (the 7th) and my parents always waited until after my birthday to decorate when I was living at home, so it's now my habit to do the tree in mid December.

On Halloween, I have a scary black cat I took in immediately after, but have the wreath noted above. I had pumpkins out front (real ones) that I think would work for Thanksgiving too, but it turns out squirrels really like them!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

That's how I read it, and I like the thought. And I guess I can't be judgy about pre Thanksgiving (I hope it was clear I'm not really), if you are in the UK!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Weekend after Thanksgiving for me...always been that way. We go get our tree on the Saturday after Thanksgiving unless we have been traveling...but either way, shortly after Thanksgiving. I love Christmas, but IMO, there's such a thing as too much of a good thing. I'd be Christmased out before it even got here if I started now...not to mention the weather is way too nice to be thinking about Christmas...it's 75* today so doesn't remotely feel like Christmas.