Uk lockdown & gym closure - what’s your plan?

Right Uk friends, my gym closes on Wednesday night for the 4 week lockdown. What’s your plan not to backslide?
I’ve just getting into losing the weight I gained during the first lockdown so I need to come up with a plan for this one ☹️

Replies

• lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,710 Member
    Hi, in Somerset here, in the countryside.
    I managed very well during the first lockdown, getting out on my bike every day (when we were only allowed out once a day), walking round the garden and then round the neighbourhood when we were allowed out more than once. The fabulous weather helped, and the longer days. I also found Utube videos very helpful.

I haven't returned to the gym but I was just considering using the swimming pool now that it is getting too wet and windy for cycling. That's out now.

The winter presents a very different challenge this time round.
    I still intend to get outside as much as possible - it's very good for your mental health as well as physical health.
    Apart from that it will be Utube and possibly dig out those old exercise DVDs!

But weight control depends on food intake so I keep busy and don't keep cakes and biscuits in the house.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited November 2020
    I'm feeling you. I was just getting back into my judo (still no contact though *sigh*) and now it's shutting too. Back in the last lockdown I did so little exercise and gain a bunch of weight so even if it is only 4 weeks, I am not looking forward to this one.

I think I'm going to have to start getting back into running, I tried doing youtube workouts previously, but I never found them particularly motivating (or rather, I don't find working out at home very motivating).

I think I'm going to have to book a time in my diary to actually go out and do some exercise/be active, otherwise I'll just find the sofa very comfortable and not do anything.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Try online videos from Nerdfitness or Leslie Sansone.

Walk/Run/Jog outside if you're able. If you have a Nintendo Switch, try RingFit.
  • smallmu
    smallmu Posts: 9 Member
    Hey, I'm in London

I'll be doing running and Joe Wicks (snigger). The HIIT workouts are great - but I'll miss weights so I'll be doing some strength training too. Legged it to Decathlon today to get some weights and bands. It was like the zombie apocalypse - everything had gone. Ordered click and collect for Weds morning!!
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    My preferred exercise was swimming and that has been out for me since the pools shut last time. So since April, I have been doing BodyFit by Amy videos at home, and have bought a rowing machine and also managed to get some light handweights. It's worked well for me.
  • mw00087
    mw00087 Posts: 46 Member
    Hey @JessiBelleW, I'm born and raised Kent, but now live in Canada. Our gyms are now shut so I've been doing a mix of bodyweight circuits (Youtube has a million of them!), and running (I managed to train for 2 virtual races since we've been in lockdown!). Feel free to add me as a friend; you can message me whenever you just need a supportive message back - you/we got this! :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Hugs to all of you in the UK in lockdown. All I can say.. is I regained by eating out of fear of the unknown when the U.S. locked down in March. I have not returned to my gym.. simply because when I thought about it..anytime I've caught something it has been there. So.. I hike and walk outside ...and use the exercise equipment I've purchased over the years in my bedroom. If we get locked down again.. I 'll work on healthy recipes.. workout and not let this thing put weight on me again.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    As I'll be working from home until at least 2nd December, I'm taking the opportunity to run in the light. It means I can get out a bit later first thing as I don't have a commute to take into account, or run at lunch. I need to think about getting some strength work in as well, but still working up the motivation! I use the You Are Your Own Gym app.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    edited November 2020
    Yep another Joe Wicks fan, and also PMA fitness - he has quite a few sessions using dumbbells.
    I've also tried Bodyfit with Amy and recently been suggested Damien Patrick for weighted work outs.

My gym is going to put together some virtual sessions, although I don't know what they will be.

I'll be doing my daily 5k walk and that's about it. I lost weight over the first lock down but did lose strength -I've only really just gone back to the gym and we're in lockdown again. I probably won't leave it so long, depends on how bad my area is I guess. My grip is awful, I've bought some squeezy things to use sat at my desk. I'm on at my husband to buy us a pull up bar!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Here, in Italy, we're in a mini-Lockdown in Rome. My fitness center with pool is closed. I decided that I will mimic my daily exercise as much as possible. I already did a lot of stretching and yoga at home, so will keep that up, substituting running (I'm almost 66, so it's more like jog-walking) for swimming, and on my gym days, I'm working out with 5 lb water bottles, elastic bands, a broomstick, and exercise videos (doing things I wanted to fit in to my routine, but didn't have time before).

During Lockdown, this spring, the park (a 6 block piazza) near us was under restoration, so I had to jog around it on the 10ft sidewalk. When our fitness center closed 2 weeks ago, the park reopened at the same time. It's gorgeous inside with lawns, trees and flowering bushes, all newly planted. There are many walkways with sculptures and fountains, so my husband and I go around 6:30 in the morning at first light, when they open. It's lovely. I don't miss the pool at all. I do 4 turns around the park, and will up that as I can. There's a Chinese group doing Tai Chi and my husband joins them. After, we go for a cappucino and split a roll at our favorite coffee shop. It's been great.
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    I havent been back to the gym since it closed in March.

I have made a decent home gym. Bought a wright's bench, barbell and plates, exercise bike. In the summer I ran outdoors but it's not so tempting on the wet and dark winter months.

I also like to follow online workouts for cardio and strength. My leisure centre does them foc.

Have spent quite a bit on the equipment (plus building work ho convert the garage into the gym..) but there are three of us using it and not paying gym memberships so at some point we may break even
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 911 Member
    I'm in Manchester.I rejoined my gym a week & a half ago & paid 3 months subscription ! Last wed was my last visit.I really miss it for the free weights & equipment.I rejoined MFP as I piled the pounds on in the last lockdown.So I am trying to buy some weights or improvise.I go out for 1 or 2 walks a day but harder when the weather gets bad.
    I have tried a few dance & fitness videos on utube.Some good but some dont have a warm up or cool down so not so good.
    So please add me as a friend to share tips.
    I can hear the wine bottle calling me !!
  • brankaabbada
    brankaabbada Posts: 29 Member
    Instead of driving to work i wake up earlier
    then usual make cafe and walk to work,(3km one way) Weekend usually some hiking or exploring nearby places I didn't know it exsist(like old quarry with caves just 3 min walk from my house)❤
  • vivmiller08
    vivmiller08 Posts: 37 Member
    Hello from Glasgow! Totally support beating Covid but gutted that gyms have closed again - they've even stopped the outside classes. Did well during summer lockdown as I could cycle, walk and SUP but now I can't get out during the day due to work. Feeling the blues.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    As I'll be working from home until at least 2nd December, I'm taking the opportunity to run in the light. It means I can get out a bit later first thing as I don't have a commute to take into account, or run at lunch. I need to think about getting some strength work in as well, but still working up the motivation! I use the You Are Your Own Gym app.

I wish I had the sort of job where I could pick my own times to stop and go out!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    feeling thrilled that the gyms reopen this week!