What Creative way have you all come up with in Exercising, Exercising during Covid19 On A Budget lol

Replies

• MaltedTea wrote: »
    I'm in Montreal where it has already snowed twice...this week. You CAN take it outside if you're into it but if you're set on staying indoors then you're going to have to ramp it up.

If you live in a building (like condo or apartment) then run stairs for cardio. There is a ridiculous amount of free, body weight, or calisthenic workouts online. Most of them don't go for an hour, per se, but if you need something to help you follow along, it's out there.

Alternatively, there are pre-made workout programs that you can try.

You didn't mention anything about any exercise equipment you may have access to (for example, resistance bands, dumbbells, kettlebells, skipping ropes, etc) so if you have some, let us know. There may be other suggestions based on that.

Otherwise, just lift heavy stuff! "Put that weight to work" (something I tell myself often). Like you can "Farmer's Walk" your groceries back to your car...which you happened to park 3 blocks away.

Hinge. Lunge. Push. Pull. Carry. These are foundational movements which there's a lot you can do - with or without equipment, with or without gym access - if you want to.

If your budget allows (perhaps it's part of a workplace health benefits package), get assessed by a physical trainer who can make a program for you based on your interests and equipment.

Amen baby girl i am on your level, I work on the 3rd floor so i take the stairs, I park on 4-6 floors so i take the stairs,, I park far so im always doing that and i do squats while cooking lol or play time with my daughter, during the summer i go on the playground and run with her. I have resistant bands i bought from amazon but i wanted them to punch with during taebo or kicks, or even with squats but they are two long and have this detachable hooks, so i havent been using them. I have 5lb Dumbbells which i swear feel like 10 but maybe my arms are still weak . I want to do planks moore and i need to look up the movements you just mentioned. We do have trainers which i think we have to pay something on but i cant work out with a mask so ill wait until covid over, I just cant breath i feel it when i take the stairs to .
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Nykeyacox wrote: »
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    The $940 that I spent on my C2 rower is the best "fitness" $ that I ever spent.

Can exercise anytine 24/7 that I care to row.

Far better $ better dpent than the THOUSANDS of $'s spent on lifting and other exercise gear that I"ve spent $ on.

WHOA 940 Im so glas you are getting great use out of that,, I guess i should have said im in the middle class part of the world lol,, And the gym i did go to is part of the hospital i worked for so it was free for me,,, If i do come into some money i will check that out

If you enjoy rowing, you can get older models used for sub $500 and with the exception of the monitor, anything that needs replacing will be cheap.

I have a model B that I paid $150 for that didn’t need anything and I love it! BUT you need to be vigilant about looking on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, let go, etc

I actually did the rowing machine a few years ago in the gym i wasn't to sure about it, I need to google exactly what it targets.. My main targets is my abs thighs and arms, but i want to lose all over.

Well, you can’t spot reduce so don’t waste time or money trying to lose weight in a particular area. A row machine is a whole body workout.

You can gain muscle in particular areas, so for example: working your abs will help you build muscle so that once the fat is gone you will have some muscle to show off.
  • Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    The $940 that I spent on my C2 rower is the best "fitness" $ that I ever spent.

Can exercise anytine 24/7 that I care to row.

Far better $ better dpent than the THOUSANDS of $'s spent on lifting and other exercise gear that I"ve spent $ on.

WHOA 940 Im so glas you are getting great use out of that,, I guess i should have said im in the middle class part of the world lol,, And the gym i did go to is part of the hospital i worked for so it was free for me,,, If i do come into some money i will check that out

If you enjoy rowing, you can get older models used for sub $500 and with the exception of the monitor, anything that needs replacing will be cheap.

I have a model B that I paid $150 for that didn’t need anything and I love it! BUT you need to be vigilant about looking on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, let go, etc

I actually did the rowing machine a few years ago in the gym i wasn't to sure about it, I need to google exactly what it targets.. My main targets is my abs thighs and arms, but i want to lose all over.

Well, you can’t spot reduce so don’t waste time or money trying to lose weight in a particular area. A row machine is a whole body workout.

You can gain muscle in particular areas, so for example: working your abs will help you build muscle so that once the fat is gone you will have some muscle to show off.

Ok noted. I will work on all over... ok i will see if i can find if not ill use it at the gym that is good to know ,,,I like all over stuff... I miss the stair machine but i walk the stairs every i go . Should i work on my abs muscle before getting rid of the gut,, like thats my issue i lose weight all over then my stomach pokes out and i look 2-4 moth pregnant urks me so bad,,, So am i right in cardio will help this or i need to do abs and cardio i just want to make sure.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Congrats on already losing some of your COVID fluff!!

I'm frugal, aka cheap, so running is my cardio during spring/summer/fall. I'm not "a runner", (a person who LOVES to run). I just run because its free and way better that exercising indoors.

I also do yoga (Yoga With Adrienn on youtube) and HASfit workouts (also on youtube). I have some free weights, tubes and bands. Tubes and bands are pretty inexpensive and you can do a lot with them. I say that because it sounds like you'd like to add some strength training to your cardio :)

I have a border collie and a Golden Retriever who need daily walks. We do mostly trails so they can be off leash. I live in Canada so winter is what it is. I'm super fortunate that I live about 10 minutes from a fantastic cross country ski facility that even has a couple of trails that you can ski with your dogs. I also snowshoe with them.

I used to have a gym pass but I realized that I need to be outside daily for my mental health. Especially in the winter.

So I guess ranking suggestions for inexpensive exercise would be:

#1, what others have said "Take it outside", walking, running, skiing, snowshoeing. Keep in mind that there's no bad weather, just bad clothes :)

#2, free youtube workouts. Try to be well-rounded in your choices. For example, one day choose some strength training, another day do cardio (like the dance and Zumba that you enjoy) and try some yoga for your flexibility and balance. It might help you to not get bored with doing the same thing day after day, and help prevent any over-use type injuries.

We can get through this :)
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    A battle rope is great for not much money, and very versatile. Also, TRX bands are another great piece of equipment.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Dusted off my rebounder trampoline back on May 1st. At first, it was all I could do to lightly jog on it for 5-8 minutes. (2-3 upbeat pop songs) I built myself a randomized music playlist and by the beginning of June, I was up to 15 minutes. (about 4-5 pop songs) For me, counting songs was easier that counting time. Just one more song!

Now - 6 months and 60 lbs. later - I jog on the rebounder daily for about a dozen songs - or 40-45 minutes daily. My leg muscles now feel like steel and my saddle bags are completely gone! Best of all, jogging on the rebounder feels completely effortless and burns tons of calories.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I would build muscle while losing weight. I have never seen anyone say they wish they had waited to start building muscle.
  • Congrats on already losing some of your COVID fluff!!

I'm frugal, aka cheap, so running is my cardio during spring/summer/fall. I'm not "a runner", (a person who LOVES to run). I just run because its free and way better that exercising indoors.

I also do yoga (Yoga With Adrienn on youtube) and HASfit workouts (also on youtube). I have some free weights, tubes and bands. Tubes and bands are pretty inexpensive and you can do a lot with them. I say that because it sounds like you'd like to add some strength training to your cardio :)

I have a border collie and a Golden Retriever who need daily walks. We do mostly trails so they can be off leash. I live in Canada so winter is what it is. I'm super fortunate that I live about 10 minutes from a fantastic cross country ski facility that even has a couple of trails that you can ski with your dogs. I also snowshoe with them.

I used to have a gym pass but I realized that I need to be outside daily for my mental health. Especially in the winter.

So I guess ranking suggestions for inexpensive exercise would be:

#1, what others have said "Take it outside", walking, running, skiing, snowshoeing. Keep in mind that there's no bad weather, just bad clothes :)

#2, free youtube workouts. Try to be well-rounded in your choices. For example, one day choose some strength training, another day do cardio (like the dance and Zumba that you enjoy) and try some yoga for your flexibility and balance. It might help you to not get bored with doing the same thing day after day, and help prevent any over-use type injuries.

We can get through this :)

OMG i absolutely love you thank you for responding. Thank you so much,,, I have tried to jog well some years ago and i found it so strange that i could do 45 minutes on the elliptical and couldnt jog 10 houses strange lol,,,, I wanted to try it before cold. I promises you I have no idea why im still in ohio because its one of the coldest states and i am a summer baby but i wanted to jog before it got cold or at least try to lol,, But i would really need to figure out how to dress, i lived here my whole life and i still havent figured it out . I told my husband lets move to Canada but i heard its even harder to move there like it may be for some coming to the states lol .

I do love zumba and Taebo This young lady just told me about a hITT couple that i followed on youtube ill try that,,, and Les see you mentioned Hasfit i will look that up when i get off work ,, i wanted to try yoga to i never have but i have hard wood floors, i have an area rug and a yoga matt, but my knees and back dont like it, I hope to move to a home next year with carpet.

I appreciate you could believe i got that fluff but i know i was eating good, Lol and at this very moment I am doing plant based smiles
  • cgvet37 wrote: »
    A battle rope is great for not much money, and very versatile. Also, TRX bands are another great piece of equipment.

IM Almost positive i have TRX bands but ill let you know when i am home,, HMm i need to google a battle rope but it sounds like the giant ropes i see on tv where people are standing far back moving like jump rope lol
  • Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    I would build muscle while losing weight. I have never seen anyone say they wish they had waited to start building muscle.

Ok love,, I stop doing weights i promise because the scale stopped moving but i would like to tone and stop the darn jiggle
  • MsCzar wrote: »
    Dusted off my rebounder trampoline back on May 1st. At first, it was all I could do to lightly jog on it for 5-8 minutes. (2-3 upbeat pop songs) I built myself a randomized music playlist and by the beginning of June, I was up to 15 minutes. (about 4-5 pop songs) For me, counting songs was easier that counting time. Just one more song!

Now - 6 months and 60 lbs. later - I jog on the rebounder daily for about a dozen songs - or 40-45 minutes daily. My leg muscles now feel like steel and my saddle bags are completely gone! Best of all, jogging on the rebounder feels completely effortless and burns tons of calories.

OMG Congratulations love thats awesome,,, I am proud of you, I kind of do the same with im doing these aerobics if im not doing the full 52 minutes,, But man im trying to hit that inner thigh and the arms so this is positive. I even try to do that football run when i can
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Here's another good list. Even OrangeTheory is offering free classes online for people like yourself during the Pandemic.

https://www.wafb.com/2020/03/23/free-online-fitness-classes-you-can-join-home/
  • TurquiseTurtle7
    TurquiseTurtle7 Posts: 16 Member
    To lose my Covid lbs, I dusted off an old workout DVD (Jillian Michaels) that had sat on my shelf for a decade. I do those workouts every day, working my way through all the levels. It was free, since I already owned the DVD. The only equipment I use are 3 lb and 5 lb weights (Walmart). Luckily, I already have a padded rug in the living room, which provides a soft(ish) surface.

I haven't had much luck finding free Youtube videos I like, so right now I'm sticking with used or cheap workout DVDs.

Eventually, I added in running around my neighborhood too. The cold weather has been hard on my motivation, because it looks so grey and uninviting outside that I don't want to go out. But once I do, I only feel the cold for 5-10 minutes. Then I start getting warm, and before I know it, I'm peeling off layers.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    edited November 2020
    like you and everyone else I gained weight during Covid and in California we had a double whammy because of the unhealthy air due to the forest fires, so we couldn't even go outside. What it came down to for me was trying on a pair of my favorite jeans as the temps dropped, and the end of stretchy shorts season, and the jeans which in February were loose and falling off, would not button up, I guess someone must have washed them in hot water too many times, ha ha that's when I realized it's 90% diet, remember the easiest calories to burn are the ones you don't put in your mouth in the first place. As far as exercise I went to my mom's house and borrowed her towel rack aka the stationary bike I got her years ago, and I and my daughter would spin on that inside the house for 30 to 60 minutes each day. Now I swim because our HOA Club facility allows access to the pool by appointment.
  • ONUnicorn
    ONUnicorn Posts: 41 Member
    If you have an Xbox download "Your Shape Fitness Evolved". They have several exercises at various intensity levels. Some are quite fun, some are challenging, and one Ican't move my arms for a week afterwards. They tell you approximately how many calories you've burned both real time and cumulative. It's not free, but it's something like $5.00, and worth it.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited November 2020
    muszyngr wrote: »
    like you and everyone else I gained weight during Covid and in California we had a double whammy because of the unhealthy air due to the forest fires, so we couldn't even go outside.

To be honest, not everyone has gained weight during Corona. There have been many posts on this forum of people reporting weight loss due to increased time to cook, more mindful eating, more time to exercise, etc.

Accept personal responsibility and move on. If one has gained weight during this and doesn't like it take steps (eat less and move more) to get rid of it.
  • AliNouveau wrote: »
    I gained the covid 19...too much baking, i got lazy

Check out youtube. I've been liking team body project lately. They have some good workout videos and some programs that are great. I just joined their app because I was enjoying them so much but there's lots for free

I wanted to tell You i Did 64 Minutes of Project Lately, and I really liked it , I was out of breath by 30 minutes so im going to try that 2-3 Times a week. Thank you so much for telling me about it
  • To lose my Covid lbs, I dusted off an old workout DVD (Jillian Michaels) that had sat on my shelf for a decade. I do those workouts every day, working my way through all the levels. It was free, since I already owned the DVD. The only equipment I use are 3 lb and 5 lb weights (Walmart). Luckily, I already have a padded rug in the living room, which provides a soft(ish) surface.

I haven't had much luck finding free Youtube videos I like, so right now I'm sticking with used or cheap workout DVDs.

Eventually, I added in running around my neighborhood too. The cold weather has been hard on my motivation, because it looks so grey and uninviting outside that I don't want to go out. But once I do, I only feel the cold for 5-10 minutes. Then I start getting warm, and before I know it, I'm peeling off layers.

Im so proud of you for doing so ,, I have turbo fire i think her name Chalene, but i didnt want to do it,,, The young lady above told me about Body Project on youtube which i tried today and i liked it, its like a HITT... LOl I bought 5lbs weights from walmart to ,,, I will try jogging when spring come back its to cold... thank you for sharing im happy you could get it off ,, I only lost 20 of the 30 so i have 10 plus 10 more since i want to be under 200 By December lol Hopeful thinking
  • muszyngr wrote: »
    like you and everyone else I gained weight during Covid and in California we had a double whammy because of the unhealthy air due to the forest fires, so we couldn't even go outside. What it came down to for me was trying on a pair of my favorite jeans as the temps dropped, and the end of stretchy shorts season, and the jeans which in February were loose and falling off, would not button up, I guess someone must have washed them in hot water too many times, ha ha that's when I realized it's 90% diet, remember the easiest calories to burn are the ones you don't put in your mouth in the first place. As far as exercise I went to my mom's house and borrowed her towel rack aka the stationary bike I got her years ago, and I and my daughter would spin on that inside the house for 30 to 60 minutes each day. Now I swim because our HOA Club facility allows access to the pool by appointment.

Aww i love your story and same all the clothes i had was from my 53 lb weight loss so when they all started to get snug i knew i was going the wrong directions, Im so glad you were able to put the Stationary bike to you used, But Hilarious what you said its used as. .. my husband just told me he wants a bike also ill have to find him one on finger hut i guess.. Keep going
  • ONUnicorn wrote: »
    If you have an Xbox download "Your Shape Fitness Evolved". They have several exercises at various intensity levels. Some are quite fun, some are challenging, and one Ican't move my arms for a week afterwards. They tell you approximately how many calories you've burned both real time and cumulative. It's not free, but it's something like $5.00, and worth it.

Well after our sons 25, 23,20,18 trading everything stop playing or just left the house i have a playstation 3 not being used and a playstation 4 not being used and guess what my husband wants the 5 told him you not even playing we getting a WII i used to do zumba with WII Thats may work,,,,, But what you mention sounds awesome