What Do You Use to Sweeten Coffee?

Hi 👋 I'm interested to know what is your favourite sweetener for coffee? What do you use to make your coffee sweet?

I switched from using sugar to using Sweet n Low. It's the closest tasting to sugar that I've tried. I was using Zing before that, and that was good but imo Sweet n Low tastes better.

It is artifical so it makes me think there is a better option, but i haven't found it yet. And at 0 calories it helps me stay on track.

How do you like to sweeten your coffee?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I usually drink my coffee black. If I want it sweeter, I usually go with Stevia or Splenda, whichever is at hand.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I just use sugar. One teaspoon is enough sweetness for my cup of coffee, and it's only 15 calories.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    If I want it sweeter I add a bit of milk
  • activeadriana
    activeadriana Posts: 70 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »
    Tears of an angel.

Lol 😂
  • activeadriana
    activeadriana Posts: 70 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

Thanks, I could maybe try this. I stopped drinking tea with sugar and sometimes add milk to make it sweeter.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Splenda and flavored creamer at 35 cals per tbsp. I usually only need 2.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

Thanks, I could maybe try this. I stopped drinking tea with sugar and sometimes add milk to make it sweeter.

Yea. I usually drink my espresso and coffee black but in the afternoon I like it more mellow so some milk helps
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I drink both my coffee and tea with skim milk. I stopped taking sugar in my coffee decades ago.
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    My sunny disposition
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I've never liked sweetened coffee.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    After drinking coffee with cream and lots of sugar every single morning since I was a child, I finally gave up the sugar part in April 2019. I still really like strong coffee and often take 2 T of full fat half & half in a 10 oz. mug - usually 2-3 mugs a day - (total: 80-120 calories/2-3 g natural milk sugars).

One trick that might help is one I use when I am really craving something sweet with my coffee: I nibble a tiny piece of a Ghirardelli white melting wafer (13 calories) with every second or third sip of coffee until the wafer is gone. Yes, it's about the same calories as a teaspoon of sugar plus 1 g fat, but that it's not mixed into the coffee itself can help you get used to the taste unsweetened coffee and maybe eventually stop you wanting sweet coffee altogether.

Also, it helps to drink really GOOD coffee. I splurge on high quality whole beans that I grind fresh every morning.

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    I use stevia and Nutpods Almond/ Coconut creamer. They have no sugar and 10 calories a tablespoon. The French Vanilla and Caramel are AWESOME! Sometimes I add cocoa powder. Stevia is not absorbed by the body and has no calories. Xylitol, Erythritol and Allulose powder are sugar free options that are more " natural".
    Sometimes a real good coffee with just creamer tastes very good.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    I stopped putting sweetener, sugar or artificial, in tea and coffee when I was in my twenties but can remember how shocking easy it was to get used to. Took a week.

So that is always an option.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Splenda and super creamer (sweet cream) or Baileys.
  • FourWindsWalker
    FourWindsWalker Posts: 143 Member
    I stopped using artificial sugars eons ago. Switched to Sugar In The Raw. Didnt like it. Now I use a teaspoon of Organic Coconut Sugar in 2, 12oz cups of coffee a day.

I add a slice of fresh lemon in my unsweetened hot and cold teas.

Do what works for you.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    Nothing, because sweetened coffee is vile.

Sometimes I stir my coffee with the spoon I used to put some molasses in my hot cereal, if there's just a light film of molasses on the spoon. It makes it taste about as sweet as unsweetened cold brew, i.e., it just barely takes the edge of the bitter. Anything sweeter than completely ruins a good cup of coffee, IMO, obvs.

But there's nothing wrong with using an artificial sweetener if you're just one of those wrong-headed people who think coffee needs to be sweet. I'll pray for you. :smile:

Interesting, Molasses is divine, high in non-heme iron and caloric but counted it can be great :)
  • mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    I use pure Erythritol (not the one mixed with other sweeteners). I has no digestible carbs and has no insulin response.