Need Advice for Senior starting MyFitness Pal [again].

I'm 66,male [6'1"], 35BMI, at 274lbs which is up 18lbs from 1/1/2020. I have plenty excuses [Covid, hip and shoulder issues] but I'm motivated now to get back to 245lb range. Any Tips from other Seniors who had to lose weight to take stress off joints,sleep better,etc. Thanks

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I don't think being older makes that much difference in losing weight. (I'm 63, FWIW.) It all comes down to eating fewer calories than you burn. If you are retired, you may find you have more time to include exercise in your day and to cook healthy meals. If you haven't been active for a while, be cautious in starting an exercise program, if you choose to do so. Do short sessions and increase the duration and intensity very gradually. You may need more recovery time than you did when you were younger. It is a good idea to see a doctor and make sure you have no restrictions due to illness or medications.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited September 2020
    Losing weight will help your joints the most and for that you need a calorie deficit. The exercising will help with muscle tone and help limber you up. I'm 65 and I swim, walk, do strength training at the gym, stretching at home, and go to a light yoga class. As I go along I keep finding other things to try. I wish I had more time. My recommendation is just to try things, go slow at first and discover what you can do. You can always add on. Good luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,957 Member
    Another vote for "older is not different when it comes to weight loss". I lost 50ish pounds at age 59-60, and have maintained a healthy weight since (now she 64, nearly 65).

It's not necessarily easy for anyone. The only difference with age is that we may have a little lower calorie allowance if we've let our muscle mass decline, and our habits of inactivity may be more ingrained because of longer practice. That's about it.

My best tip is to read the "Most Helpful Posts" sections in the forum. There's hold in there.

Best wishes for much success!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    My advice is make a reasonable plan that includes a modest calorie deficit and some kind of planned activity - walking is a good one - and stick to it. Wear good footwear. Be sure to eat food that you enjoy. If you are a creature of habit (I am), getting into a routine won't take too long. Weigh yourself at the same time of day with the same scale in the same position. If you weigh daily, you'll get used to the ups/downs and find that over time, the "bottom" of the range gets lower. Feel good about focusing on a healthy, sustainable lifestyle. My personal goal is living independently/staying out of assisted living.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Ditto on age NOT making any difference.

To lose wt (regardless of your age) you need to have the WILL and DISCIPLINE to do it. Without these 2 characteristics you will fail.

Hopefully, you will have the resolve necessary to achieve your wtloss goals.

My only "advice" given your level of obesity st 274# snd a BMI of 35 is to be PATIENT and set SMALL (not large) interim measures of success.

If your goal is to lose 29#, just realize that the wt loss may not be immediate nor the rste of loss consistent.

The recommended rate of loss is generally 1#/wk is usually achieved by reducing your food intake by 3500 cals/wk which would take you 29 wks or about 7 months to achieve

So, don't be discourged and give up the fight prematurely if you don't see the results that you hope for quick enough.

I'm sure that it took you years to get to your current size and it will take you least 6 months to achieve your current goal.

Good luck!
  • Kmlarge50
    Kmlarge50 Posts: 1 Member
    Checking in. I see you posted in September. How are things going on your health journey?
  • mtnbo
    mtnbo Posts: 1 Member
    Does anyone know how to decide on a calorie limit for my height and age?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    mtnbo wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to decide on a calorie limit for my height and age?

You may want to start your own thread for your questions, but basically -- put your stats and goals into MFP and it will give you a calorie goal.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Yes, age makes big difference in exercise and diet. The older you get, then longer you exercises have to be. Pretend that your day has to start from exercise no matter what. You are retired now, you have to make every day your active day. It has to become your second nature, not make the big deal of it, but work out first in your list of the things to do. You brush your teeth every morning, the same has to be with exercise
    The best way to allocate the types of exercise on weekly basis: 3-4 times a week weights/plyo/body weight (something what strengthen your muscles); 2-3 times a week cardio (long lasting walk, jog, bike, tennis, hiking)
    I m 66 now, and every 5 years I had to rethink my way of exercising. Now, after retierment, it become very easy to exercise every day at least 45 min, some longer- up to 1h 30min. Offcaurse, it's up to you, do less or shorter. You will feel allrite and even very good, doctors will prey you, but acheive your best (better than doctors standard) and keep it for long years, you d better work out every day
  • SharpWellbeing
    SharpWellbeing Posts: 68 Member
    Whilst I commend people saying older isn't different they are wrong. As you get older protein synthesis slows down within the body and therefore a large emphasis of your daily diet needs to be on protein, large amounts of protein multiple times a day. Protein supports in various things but the main one as you get older is sarcopenia. And the more muscle you have the less fat you have.

It's a win win all round.