Accountability buddy

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,307 Member
    @skinnylw2016 - I’ve always liked the idea of downloading books and listening to them while exercising, but I haven’t been able to set it in motion ... good for you! My sons enjoy Audible but I get tripped up by the idea that I can access the library downloads ... then, I never do it! Thanks for keeping the idea alive for me. One of these days, I’ll follow through on my plan!!

And congratulations for turning the game around in the second half! You’ll have to share your motivational halftime speech with us. Sometimes a tie can feel like a win!
  • skinnylw2016
    skinnylw2016 Posts: 25 Member
    @PatriceFitnessPal No half time speech needed this time, but a sunny day and walk first thing in the morning, followed by an evening run with friends seemed to do the trick. I just need to stick to it when it is windy and rainy outside. 🤞
  • beshamama
    beshamama Posts: 240 Member
    Went for a nice long bike ride with my family today. I feel great!

I don’t know why exercising inside is hard for me. Maybe it is because I have like a million other things I could/should be doing and I feel lazy? I know I’m not but it feels that way. Going on bike rides also feels indulgent but doesn’t make me sad 🤣
  • lillymaid86
    lillymaid86 Posts: 9 Member
    I posted something similar on another board . But I have about 100 lbs to lose . Due to mental health issues , I haven't been eating enough . I rejoined this site to get an idea of my needs . So I am in a crazy situation but I could really use a female accountability buddy.
    Jessica
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited November 2020
    @lillymaid86 - WELCOME! We are all working toward different goals but we’re united in supporting one another to achieve them. Someone recommended tackling a larger weight loss goal in smaller increments so it’s more manageable. It may also feel less overwhelming from a mental health stand point to take things slowly and steadily. Our idea is to build habits that lead to incremental change that doesn’t feel daunting (i.e., sustainable instead of drastic). It’s great that you are taking this first step in understanding your nutrition needs. Feel free to post one or two goals for the week and then check in regularly to report your progress. Let us know how you’re doing...

Today, I’m trying to cross off items from my long ‘To Do’ list but I’m not making any progress. I’m posting my plan here so I can be more accountable. I can certainly identify with @KMC55’s comment that addressing one item often leads to two more (or four more!) things that need to get done! So, one small goal for today will be to go through my stacks of papers and just lay them out in categories quickly, without taking a ton of time, and then deal with at least one pile until it’s gone. I’ll also prepare two ‘care packages’ for family members so they’ll be ready to mail tomorrow. I’ll also play soccer tonight as a way to wrap up the day. Anything else I get done on the household side will be a bonus.

@beshamama and @skinnylw2016 - I’m glad to see so many of you enjoying the nice weather in healthy ways! I skipped a chance to kayak with some friends this morning - so I could catch up on cleaning - but, I’m regretting it now because I’ve been less productive than I expected (see above ... 😖). That’s why I’m so determined to get at least a few things done now! I don’t want to have any regrets by the time I’m heading to bed tonight. So, I’m signing off ... determined!! Go get those goals. No regrets!
  • Hey all. Also looking to lose weight. :) Would love the accountability. I love to exercise but junk food is my main coping mechanism/ reason for living :). I tend to be all or nothing so I'm doing a warm up to new years resolutions. 😅 ---- walked slow today for an hour while jaming to Spotify.

Patricefitnesspal:
    Congrats 👏 on the spike ball. Did the bonus run/walk happen?
  • Whoops missed 39 pages. :D Good luck everyone on your goals this week.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited November 2020
    @Katebook309yahoocom940 - Welcome! I hope you didn’t have to read through 39 pages to get here 😀 ... but it’s never too late to join!

I bought the ‘Spike ball’ game for my son in the early days of quarantining. The plan was for him to take it with him to college, but he left it here. So, it’s a good reminder to dig out the game when he comes home for the longer-than-usual break from Thanksgiving until mid-January. I’m going to guess I didn’t do the bonus walk/run ... unless my dog convinced me. 🐶

You stroll to music sounds like a lovely way to enjoy the nice weather we had today (in my area). @Katebook309yahoocom940, have you
    set a specific goal to work towards this week?
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Happy Monday everyone! I posted a really long post last Friday with inspiring things and uplifting encouragement and then I accidentally clicked something else and deleted the whole thing. I got pissed and just walked away instead of trying to recreate it, lol.

Anyway, someone posted about eating when anxious. That was definitely my jam! I ate my feelings almost constantly, which is how I gained about 20lbs when my mom had cancer. What really helped me after that was learning about mindfulness, especially mindful eating. It's insane how closely linked psychology and food are, and they really shouldn't be. I still get the urge to eat when stressed, but I can now realize what I'm doing earlier in the gorging than I could before.

So I missed two days of getting 7k steps last week. I pinpointed my crazy workplace and some unexpected issues as the main culprit. Everything else was pretty solid.

This week's goals: Get 7k steps a day (repeat) and no drive thru food this week.
  • beshamama
    New week new goals
    *Stay in my calorie budget
    *Get back to exercising but maybe do every other day and see if that helps my mood.
    *Go for a walk every day
    *Eat breakfast again!!
    *Log all my food on here again
  • ThatCookieGurl
    ThatCookieGurl Posts: 39 Member
    I need to lose about the same, feel free to add me!
  • StepWise123
    StepWise123 Posts: 180 Member
    beshamama wrote: »
    New week new goals
    *Stay in my calorie budget
    *Get back to exercising but maybe do every other day and see if that helps my mood.
    *Go for a walk every day
    *Eat breakfast again!!
    *Log all my food on here again

These goals seem really doable. I think I'll adopt each one myself. Thank you. I quit logging in food for several days and the scale started creeping up immediately. Something about ++carbs and sodium and my age aren't "jiving." (Now there's a dated word!) New policy that seems to be working: Love you, honey, but no, you cannot plate my food. (Smack! :D ) So inspired by everyone here ...
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited November 2020
    @highmaintnance - Ugh! That happened to me before ... I’ve lost information before I could post it, too! It was so frustrating!! The good news for all of you is that my second attempt was probably much more succinct than usual! 😂

I was one of the people wanting to feed my stress last week but, even though I wasn’t completely satisfied with my week, I managed to cope well enough by focusing only on the things I could control. For example, in terms of the election, I made concrete plans about local actions I would personally commit to carrying out ... based on one outcome or another. It’s great that you recognize when things like your ‘crazy workplace’ require increased mindfulness; but, I’m sorry you had to learn about mindfulness following the difficult experience of supporting your mother through cancer. It’s so scary and stressful when our loved ones suffer but I’m glad you found a better way to cope ... mindfulness is critical as we help others and also essential to our own health and wellness!

@beshamama and @StepWise123 - How are you doing with your shared goals? ... ‘Jiving’ yet? 😊

Welcome @leekatelynne0659! - Have you set some manageable goals for yourself this week?

I had to make some adjustments to my plans this week because nobody in my rowing group wanted to scull in the rain today or tomorrow. So, that cuts out two days of exercise I had planned. I’m going to join my husband’s personal trainer appointment for 30 minutes tomorrow but that won’t burn as many calories as rowing. I’ll have to figure out another way to make up the exercise deficit but that might be a good thing because we can’t row through the winter anyway. Typically, the fall season ends in November but we might keep rowing outside on the river if this warm weather continues. Anyway, I’ll probably have to build a new workout habit because I doubt we can meet inside on the rowing machines for winter conditioning. I might re-join the YMCA across the street from our house and go at ‘off’ times when it’s not as crowded. I welcome your ideas ... Any thoughts?

On the positive side, I felt better on Sunday once I got some cleaning and other tasks completed. I was feeling a bit disappointed in myself for wasting a lot of the day just reading the news online, etc. Also, I find that I naturally stay fairly close to my macro nutrition goals and I’m fairly confident that I’ll be able to maintain my weight within the BMI ‘normal’ range. I still have about 10-15 pounds to reach my ideal weight but I think I’ll have a bit more work to re-build any muscle loss.

I’m looking into getting a baseline body fat assessment once I reach my goal weight so I can set some new goals once I reach the next phase of ‘maintenance.’ I hope your week is going well, Accountability Buddies. Go get those goals!
  • beshamama
    🤦‍♀️ I didn’t do any of my goals this week....but lost 3lbs. 🤣

Back at it. I am currently typing this while on my stationary bike 💪 I am determined again!

Goals for the weekend:
    *Get back to exercising!!
    *Eat breakfast again!
    *log my food again!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    @beshamama - Your stationary bike was a good investment! It’s great that you’re using it so much. Congratulations on the weight loss! I guess you’ve managed to embed some positive new habits and routines to keep you on track even if you didn’t hit your exact goals for the week. Good for you!
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,938 Member
    I am big on accountability as it having it as well as accountability partners has helped me in the past. Will be back to post again but wanted to mark this post so I don't lose it.
  • kmccrom
    kmccrom Posts: 74 Member
    Hi everyone! I’ve been away for a while but I’m back. Wanted to post my goals to hold myself accountable.
    1. Log meals
    2. Weigh in weekly
    3. Mindful eating
    4. Paying attention!

Looking forward to supporting and getting support!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    beshamama wrote: »
    Hello all! This week has been a week! I didn’t log my food and I didn’t exercise. And surprise to no one I gained weight ugh! 😑 I found out my little sister’s live in boyfriend has Covid. He and my sis both have weird health problems so I am worried about them.

I do have one NSV though! My mom came over for some day drinking the day after the election 🤣 and she said I look like I’ve lost weight!

Weird exercise question for you all. I keep reading and my hubby is always telling me that exercise is good for mental health. But when I work out right after I feel depressed and sad and just all around miserable. What gives? Does this happen to anyone else? I find if I go for walks or real bike rides I don’t get that depressed feeling. This weird bad mood happens whenever I do any indoor exercise.

Alright new goals for the weekend.
    *Go on a outdoor bike ride
    *Go for a long walk
    *Get back to logging food
    *Don’t get down on myself

Well one emotions are stored in fat and can be released as you lose, think like life traumas etc. 2 maybe it’s something you don’t actually enjoy or dread doing. If you walk or do something you have fun doing you have a happier feeling
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Uh oh, that garage workout area is colder than I expected. I wonder if my husband will notice his "to do" list is getting longer. Every time I have him do one thing, it causes me to add two more! Now the garage doors need to be insulated!
    Does anyone have issues with eating more when they are anxious? I've started keeping gum around to stave off my tendency to want to eat something crunchy. It seems to help. Then again, if I wouldn't keep turning on the TV for updates .... haven't lost any weight for 2 weeks. Grrr.

So I found this! I bought moon cheese and when that crunchy feeling strikes I have one portion! But also I try to have tea first to see if it passes or distract myself by cleaning something
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Another beautiful Monday! Sooo I didn't hit my step goal three of the seven, but I definitely noticed a trend that I can work on. I did make it to Saturday before eating any drive thru food, which is ok.

I completely lost my mind when it came to sweets. I had a small shake on Friday and Saturday and a whole individual apple pie Saturday evening. Erg, it's frustrating that I do that to myself. So I'm trying to analyze and then move on.

I love hearing everyone's goals and action plans! They really help me focus and keep going. Thanks for sharing.

This week's goals: get 7k steps four days this week and not under 5k any day I don't make it to 7k. Most importantly, no desserts this week!