Coronavirus prep

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    So, one of my buddies I go out with every Friday tested positive this past week. Of course, he didn't go out last night. And I didn't either, because I was exposed to him last Friday. I'm thinking if I still feel OK this coming Friday (14 days), then I should be golden, right?

Can you be tested for Covid? You may be spreading it around if you aren't isolating yourself of course.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    My dd said she's been exposed at work and they all took tests; she's negative(praying it stays that way) but she said they were able to self-administer their Covid tests. Is that a thing; guess I didn't know? And I wonder how accurate it is vs. a pro doing it? She's going to take another test soon just for extra reassurance.
    Plus wondering how well the mouth swabs work vs. the brain scraping. If mouth swabs are just as good, why aren't those typical administered instead?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    I believe nasal swabs are still the gold standard.

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,847 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    My dd said she's been exposed at work and they all took tests; she's negative(praying it stays that way) but she said they were able to self-administer their Covid tests. Is that a thing; guess I didn't know? And I wonder how accurate it is vs. a pro doing it? She's going to take another test soon just for extra reassurance.
    Plus wondering how well the mouth swabs work vs. the brain scraping. If mouth swabs are just as good, why aren't those typical administered instead?

I recall seeing the newest rapid test demonstrated on the news about a month ago. Super easy instructions. No harder than a home pregnancy test, which are commonly used these days. I also recall reading way back how there were testing facilities that had the person doing their own swabbing.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

Yes, some places let people swab themselves. By BIL did that at a CVS and tested negative while several others in his house and his mom's house (where he visits often) were positive. I question whether he self-swabbed deeply enough. But he has also has a couple tests where others did the swab and he has come back negative those times also.

He lives with a lot of people who are exposed often (a nurse and retail employees) and he is exposed often at work (meat packing plant, many factories have a constant stream of infections). How he hasn't been infected is surprising, as 3 others in his own household were positive plus risks at other places. He thinks he has a natural immunity. I think he has been lucky.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »

Yes, some places let people swab themselves. By BIL did that at a CVS and tested negative while several others in his house and his mom's house (where he visits often) were positive. I question whether he self-swabbed deeply enough. But he has also has a couple tests where others did the swab and he has come back negative those times also.

He lives with a lot of people who are exposed often (a nurse and retail employees) and he is exposed often at work (meat packing plant, many factories have a constant stream of infections). How he hasn't been infected is surprising, as 3 others in his own household were positive plus risks at other places. He thinks he has a natural immunity. I think he has been lucky.

A scenario I have always considered for those "lucky" ones is, could he have had it asymptomatically back when testing was nil, and now he is no catching it due to current immunity. I know plenty of people who have wondered if they might have had COVID in those early months when tests were only allowed if you fit all the parameters (we know a new york young man that was never sicker in his life, but was denied a test because he was too "young". This was back in March during the NY peak). One of these people has asked for an antibody test, because his wife had it and she tested positive, and he had had similar almost asymptomatic systems the week before her. He was denied. I think the antibody testing is a very important component that is not being focused on as much as I would like. It may be that many more people have had this disease than we realize, and I think that accurate data is important in understanding COVID.

Where I live, anybody who donates blood gets the antibody test. It is free, of course. He might look into that.