Has anyone tried the Michael Mosley "lose a stone in 21 days" diet

It was shown on channel 4 a few months ago. It's a pretty extreme diet: 800 cals a day, low carb.

I live with my parents are both obese so they're going to start it next week. I've only got a couple of vanity pounds to lose so I'm not going to be doing it with them.

I'm really happy that their doing something about their health because I am getting worried about them.

However, I'm worried that it's quite extreme and very different to what we usually eat (very traditional meat and two veg and a tonne of carbs). I'm worried that their gonna get super grumpy as well! 🤣

Has anyone done this diet before? Any tips to support people doing it?

Replies

• czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Thanks, I've already read that thread.
    It's impossible to see a gp at the moment for anything.
    I can't tell them not to do it, they're all ready set on it.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    It isn’t healthy for them to do it without speaking to a doctor. Very unwise and potentially dangerous. Not sure why it would be impossible to see a gp though, many of them offer virtual services if it’s a concern to go out where you are in the world.
  • brianpperkins131
    brianpperkins131 Posts: 90 Member
    A very low calorie diet without prescription by, and supervision of medical professionals comes with serious inherent risks even at relatively short duration. Looking at the overall diet it seems to have all of the hallmarks of an unsustainable plan that will deliver short term loss based on depletion of glycogen stores and the associated loss of water weight ... the backbone of the multi-billion dollar diet business which Mr. Mosely is part of with numerous similar plans.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    You're asking for tips to support them doing it--so you're for it?
  • czmiles926

Yes, this is the first time they've decided to do anything about their weight and I want them to succeed.
    I know it isn't the "MFP approved" diet, but the sooner they get the weight off the better. I don't want to lose my parents:/
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    If you don’t want to lose your parents, you really don’t want them to be following such an unhealthy diet.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,035 Member
    They might quickly realise it's way too restrictive (I hope), and at that point - when they want to give up - you can give them advice on a more sensible road to weight loss.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Good luck to them. I have read a fair bit recently (but can't remember where, so please don't ask me to link it) that there is actually a fair bit to be said for a strict and drastic initial weight loss. They will find it unsustainable, possibly very soon, and certainly must make sure that all of the calories they do consume are nutritious and part of a varied diet. The biggest support you can give them is a) not to make them feel bad if they fall off the wagon and b) gently encourage them not to consume junk in despair if they can't hack this but instead to move to something more sustainable. Because long term they have to move to something more sustainable or the weight will just pile back on when they return to what is normal to sustain their current size.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    czmiles926 wrote: »

Yes, this is the first time they've decided to do anything about their weight and I want them to succeed.
    I know it isn't the "MFP approved" diet, but the sooner they get the weight off the better. I don't want to lose my parents:/

There's basically two responses to "shock and awe" diets like this one.

Some people may be motivated by fast results and find it to be exactly the kick in pants they need to begin a lifelong path of weight management.

Other people will be discouraged by hunger, the loss of favorite foods and flavors, the social impact extreme dieting can have, and just the fatigue associated with very low calorie intake. Many of these people will throw in the towel and give up on weight loss completely because they tried it and it was just "too hard," not understanding that they could achieve their goals (albeit at a slower pace) with a more reasonable deficit that allows more flexibility.

I have no idea what type of people your parents will be, but in my life I have encountered WAY more people in the second group than in the first (and I am in the second group myself).
  • czmiles926
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    Good luck to them. I have read a fair bit recently (but can't remember where, so please don't ask me to link it) that there is actually a fair bit to be said for a strict and drastic initial weight loss. They will find it unsustainable, possibly very soon, and certainly must make sure that all of the calories they do consume are nutritious and part of a varied diet. The biggest support you can give them is a) not to make them feel bad if they fall off the wagon and b) gently encourage them not to consume junk in despair if they can't hack this but instead to move to something more sustainable. Because long term they have to move to something more sustainable or the weight will just pile back on when they return to what is normal to sustain their current size.

Thanks. As the title implies the 800 cal diet only lasts for 21 days before you move into a less restrictive intermittent fasting approach. Then after reaching gw, it changes to a Med style maintenance diet for long term.
  • brianpperkins131
    brianpperkins131 Posts: 90 Member
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    SnifterPug wrote: »

Thanks. As the title implies the 800 cal diet only lasts for 21 days before you move into a less restrictive intermittent fasting approach. Then after reaching gw, it changes to a Med style maintenance diet for long term.

The problem being there are several very restrictive, and initially dangerous and unsustainable, methods before a Med style long term diet. When this results in failure for a large percentage of people he has other unsustainable plans for them to try ... with books to hype them.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Dropping it as fast as humanly possible will NOT prolong anyone’s life. It can potentially cause long term health problems that could shorten your life though.

OP you should really encourage your parents to go about this in a safer manner. They didn’t gain the weight in 21 days, they shouldn’t try to lose it in 21 days either.