What Do You Use to Sweeten Coffee?

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I use 1tbsp truvia, 1 pinch pure stevia, 3 tbsp sugar freee salted caramel syrup per 12oz coffee. I like it super sweet though.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    If you want to cut the bitterness you can add a pinch of salt while brewing.

I don’t sweeten coffee but can tell the difference in smoothness when adding salt. I do add unsweetened oat milk to most cups.
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 722 Member
    I used to put one teaspoon of sugar, then weaned it down to 1/2 teaspoon. Now I don't need anything in it at all. I'm on a tight calorie budget, so was looking in all the little habits to make cuts. I still have 1/2 tsp sugar + milk in afternoon, can't give that up.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    I also use sweet n low. Somewhere between 0.5 and a full packet. Wish I could find it not in packets in the store..
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    I just use real sugar. Coffee is pretty much my favorite part of the day, so I'm OK spending a few calories on it.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Stevia or splenda. No milk or creamer of any kind.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    10 gram of blackstrap molasses in my first (and usually only) cup of coffee. I need the iron, and I want the sweetness. Then I add 80-100 ml of skim lactose-free milk.
  • GazelleLady
    GazelleLady Posts: 131 Member
    Coffee with a dash of chocolate milk is my favorite.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,306 Member
    Stevia. If I have ginger syrup on hand, a spoon of that. Or, a cinnamon stick.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Usually I drink soy latte or oat latte without added sugar. The milks probably have more calories than black coffee with added sugar would have anyway.Also, they have some natural sugar in them (well, the oat milk far more than the soy milk).

Sometimes I make mock mocha, which means adding dark cocoa powder, a tiny bit of vanilla essence, and natvia to my latte.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Nothing, because sweetened coffee is vile.

Sometimes I stir my coffee with the spoon I used to put some molasses in my hot cereal, if there's just a light film of molasses on the spoon. It makes it taste about as sweet as unsweetened cold brew, i.e., it just barely takes the edge of the bitter. Anything sweeter than completely ruins a good cup of coffee, IMO, obvs.

But there's nothing wrong with using an artificial sweetener if you're just one of those wrong-headed people who think coffee needs to be sweet. I'll pray for you. :smile:

Interesting, Molasses is divine, high in non-heme iron and caloric but counted it can be great :)

Well, the way I do it (weigh the molasses jar, remove amount to sweeten cereal with a spoon, weigh molasses jar and log the difference), I've already counted it. And once I've counted it, I'm going to consume it somehow -- in the cereal, in the coffee, or by licking the spoon. And not any more caloric than honey or maple syrup or any liquid-form of natural sweetener.
  • lynn_glenmont
    edited November 2020
    If you want to cut the bitterness you can add a pinch of salt while brewing.

I don’t sweeten coffee but can tell the difference in smoothness when adding salt. I do add unsweetened oat milk to most cups.

Sometimes I add a dash of salt, a half-teaspoon to a teaspoon of coarsely ground cacao nibs or about an eighth of a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, a dash or two of cayenne (ground red pepper), and several dashes of ground cinnamon. No sweetener. I don't guess it would appeal to everybody, but I really like it.

ETA to clarify those are the amounts I add when brewing one mug of pour-over coffee.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »
    But in all seriousness... if you dont drink coffee for the great coffee taste, then why drink it at all? Caffeine? You can get that in much higher doses from other places.
    Good coffee should be enjoyed black. There is no need to add sweetness or cream of any kind.
    All those fancy coffee starbuck drink are huge waste of calories. Huge.

We don't NEED to add seasoning to food either, but people enjoy various tastes. If someone wants some sweetness or creaminess in their coffee, what's the problem?

A Starbucks drink would only be a waste of calories if someone didn't enjoy it relative to the number of calories that it has. If someone orders one, has room for the calories, and enjoys every drop, then it's worth it to them -- that's what counts.

When I'm roasting vegetables, I never put oil on them because TO ME that's a waste of calories. But if other people like it, why not?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    But in all seriousness... if you dont drink coffee for the great coffee taste, then why drink it at all? Caffeine? You can get that in much higher doses from other places.
    Good coffee should be enjoyed black. There is no need to add sweetness or cream of any kind.

We don't NEED to add seasoning to food either, but people enjoy various tastes. If someone wants some sweetness or creaminess in their coffee, what's the problem?

A Starbucks drink would only be a waste of calories if someone didn't enjoy it relative to the number of calories that it has. If someone orders one, has room for the calories, and enjoys every drop, then it's worth it to them -- that's what counts.

When I'm roasting vegetables, I never put oil on them because TO ME that's a waste of calories. But if other people like it, why not?

Thats a different topic BUT what does oil do vegetable when roasting?

Many people like the taste and texture it gives to roasted vegetables, just as some people like some sweetness to compliment their coffee. Neither option is bad, it's just personal preference.
  • xm1r14mx
    xm1r14mx Posts: 1 Member
    Premier Protein shake
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Lakanto monkfruit
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Hi 👋 I'm interested to know what is your favourite sweetener for coffee? What do you use to make your coffee sweet?

I switched from using sugar to using Sweet n Low. It's the closest tasting to sugar that I've tried. I was using Zing before that, and that was good but imo Sweet n Low tastes better.

It is artifical so it makes me think there is a better option, but i haven't found it yet. And at 0 calories it helps me stay on track.

How do you like to sweeten your coffee?

Nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners in normal amounts...they've been studied to death. You aren't going to find a natural sweetener that isn't going to add calories.

I used to put all kinds of stuff in my coffee before I met my wife and she turned me on to high quality beans ground fresh daily...I've been drinking it black now for about 15 years...unless she decides to get a dark roast and then I cut it with a little milk.
  • lynn_glenmont

I find it helps retain moisture in the veg. If I roast them without oil, they taste drier, and sometimes I can even see the surface wrinkling up.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

I find it helps retain moisture in the veg. If I roast them without oil, they taste drier, and sometimes I can even see the surface wrinkling up.

Any good cook will say fat is flavor. There is definitely a reason for it.