chicken broccoli and rice diet

Chicken, broccoli and rice. Egg and oatmeal. How many people eat this on a daily basis and do you do it because you believe that it's the best diet to reach your goal or for some other reason? Just about every actor that gets interviewed on how they got fit for a role says chicken broccoli and rice, but seems like the fitness community sees that as a running joke now.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    globalc00 wrote: »
    Chicken, broccoli and rice. Egg and oatmeal. How many people eat this on a daily basis and do you do it because you believe that it's the best diet to reach your goal or for some other reason? Just about every actor that gets interviewed on how they got fit for a role says chicken broccoli and rice, but seems like the fitness community sees that as a running joke now.

Chicken - about twice a week
    Broccoli- maybe once a fortnight
    Rice about twice a week
    Eggs average 3 or 4 a week.
    Oatmeal, hardly ever.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited November 2020
    I understand that the chicken breast, rice, broccoli diet became popular is that it makes it easy to monitor your macros very accurately. The chicken breast is high protein with little fat, rice is carbs no fat, broccoli is low carb. A pro bodybuilder may need to monitor his food intake that closely during a cut, the rest of us maybe not so much. I would prefer some more variety in my meals.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I eat chicken almost daily but definitely not broccoli or rice. I need to switch it up. For me chicken is easy to prepare, tasty, high protein, goes with most dishes.

I like variety though and I have much better results that way. I feel like eating the same exact things everyday could be unbalanced with a limited nutrient profile.
  • i eat oats every morning in the winter but that’s cos I’m lazy and they’re quick to make. The rest of your list I probably have 2 or 3 times a week.
  • FossilFusion
    FossilFusion Posts: 39 Member
    Oatmeal everyday, well Protein Oatmeal. It's so versatile. I make protein pancakes out of it everyday 😋

Broccoli most days, if not I switch it up.

Chicken probably 3-4 times a week. Different seasonings everyone to switch it up.

Rice very rare, I much prefer Sweet Potato, and beans tbh. But I like a variety of foods, not a stickler for sticking to only limited set.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I tend to eat more cauliflower and chickpeas...but I really like them roasted with chipotle adobo.
    Chicken rice and broccoli sound boring.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    I never eat chicken, rice, or eggs. Just don't like them. I eat at least 4 pounds of broccoli every week, though, and rolled oats every day.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    I make protein pancakes out of it everyday

How do you make protein pancakes?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

This is something some body builders do when cutting for a competition. I know someone who does this, and it is very boring...but it's also not a long term thing. A competition cut might be a couple of weeks. I think most people who have actual weight to lose that will take a great deal of time, something that monotonous is likely not going to work.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

Starting at a place where you need to get fit for a role and starting from a place of obesity are two different things. I can survive just about any diet for a few months. It is another story if it is a year or more.
  • globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    My motivation for eating chicken, broccoli and rice is becuase i'm just that lazy. I'm not trying to lose weight or get fit for a role, but I do want to eat healthy. Ideally, I want to spend as little amount of time in the kitchen as possible. So I am in search for the easist meal to prep/cook with the least amount of dishes and will last the longest in the fridge without going bad. I'm not a picky eater so it doesn't bother me to eat the same thing over and over. To be clear, I also do eat some sort of fish at night, but usually have to cook that on a every other day basis, which is kind of annoying. Less time in the kitchen is valued way more than taste. The issue with chicken broccoli and rice is that it is lacking in fat, which is why I do the fish.

So I guess my question is besides the 3 typical healhty fats everyone talks about, avocado, salmon and nuts, is there something else that is easy to cook/prep and will last a week? Avocado doesn't last once you cut it, and nuts are just too high in calories. Salmon/fish doesn't seem to keep as long as chicken.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Mono-meals have been around for a long time and some believe they retrain the brain. It's mostly hippy dippy happy horsesheet because after all of the mono-meals are done you haven't learn much . You're right back at square one.

Eat the foods you enjoy and track your data portions. Eating this way long term can contribute to nutritional deficiencies. Try it for a week and you'll probably be bored out of your gourd. If you're not an actor or being paid what they make then let it bite the dust. Some actors required to drop it like it's hot for a role report they felt so horrible and it took months to recover.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I eat very simply MOST of the time. Personally, ease of prep work, shopping, calorie control, reward aspects.... that is why. It's not chicken broccoli and rice all the time, but it is generally similar. I look at my plate and divide it into 4 parts. 1/2 is mostly non starchy veggies, atleast 1/4 to 1/3 protein, then the rest starch and healthy fats like avocados, nuts or seeds, if I am not getting enough fat from my protein. I don't really get micro nutrient issues dt the fact that I eat many types of plants and meat. Find what works for you.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Rice 2-3 times a day
    Chicken/turkey/lean beef 2-3 times per day
    Broccoli usually once per day unless dieting into single digits then several times per day
  • welshcob13a
    welshcob13a Posts: 4 Member
    I love broccoli and cauliflower seasoned with garlic and chilli..with chicken too
    Roasted cauliflower is lovely, seasoned with paprika
    I hardly eat rice atm but enjoy it
    I eat cod, prawn, lo dough bases as wraps, crumpets...Biscoff:)
    Unless you're looking to compete, you can enjoy lots of food types
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited November 2020
    Chicken -- about twice per week currently
    Broccoli -- usually 4-5 times per week, I eat lots of different veg per day and really like broccoli
    Rice -- once every couple of weeks
    Eggs -- for a while I was eating them for breakfast daily, but I've been in a no breakfast mode lately, so about once a week
    Oatmeal -- another food I ate every day for breakfast for a while, but currently don't eat at all (I would if I felt like it, just haven't)

For variety I'd recast it as:

chicken = lean meat
    broccoli = non starchy veg, and add that a greater variety is likely good, even if you eat broccoli often as one of the veg at a particular meal
    rice = low fat complex carb

The concept -- in addition to making macro-counting easy -- was to maximize protein and complex carbs, as that was at one point considered the best way to build muscle/fuel workouts. I think now the benefits of fats are more appreciated, at least for health, but building a meal around lean protein, complex carbs, and vegetables isn't the worst thing as long as you realize some fat is desirable and you don't have to make it monotonous (or cut out everything else).

Eggs and oats -- again, just a somewhat higher protein (eggs, esp with egg whites) and complex carb source that many would consider good choices within the range of stereotypical breakfast foods. Also, I think a lot of people are fine with little variety at breakfast. I often eat the same basic thing for breakfast for weeks or months before changing it up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Chicken - Not since 1974, at least not knowingly (probably got some broth in potluck stuff by accident since)
    Broccoli - Hadn't had any in a while because it's been farmers market season and there have been more tempting veg choices, but will eat it a few times a month in Winter (fresh or frozen) in various ways, but rotated with many other veg. (Some roasting in oven now).
    Rice - Can't remember last time I ate some, but for sure pre-pandemic, maybe in a Chinese, Japanese or Thai restaurant? OK, but just don't love it, not generally worth the calories for home use, to me - none in pantry. One of my lowest-priority choices if I want a starchy side. I do eat chickpea "rice", but that's really orzo pasta, which I've liked for a long time.
    Egg - Varies, but probably average less than one carton (12) per month, including in cooking.
    Oatmeal - Pretty much every day, love love love my oatmeal (with fixins).

Personally, I like variety in my eating, except for breakfast (sometimes lunch). First thing in the AM, I need comfort food, low challenge, low complexity. 😆

Stereotype, repetitive eating patterns seem odd to me - always surprised to find anyone actually eats that way. The pattern you're describing in the OP would bore me in the extreme, unless much-supplemented with other flavor goodness for variety.
  • globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    My goal is not to lose weight or compete. I just want to eat healthy without spending too much time in kitchen. I eat out on weekends on regular basis. But during week, I like to make sure I’m eating healthy.
    My goal is to be able to plate up all my meals for next day and have them ready to go each night. Avoid as much cooking as possible during the week day.