What Do You Use to Sweeten Coffee?

13»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    senalay788 wrote: »
    But in all seriousness... if you dont drink coffee for the great coffee taste, then why drink it at all? Caffeine? You can get that in much higher doses from other places.
    Good coffee should be enjoyed black. There is no need to add sweetness or cream of any kind.
    All those fancy coffee starbuck drink are huge waste of calories. Huge.

We don't NEED to add seasoning to food either, but people enjoy various tastes. If someone wants some sweetness or creaminess in their coffee, what's the problem?

A Starbucks drink would only be a waste of calories if someone didn't enjoy it relative to the number of calories that it has. If someone orders one, has room for the calories, and enjoys every drop, then it's worth it to them -- that's what counts.

When I'm roasting vegetables, I never put oil on them because TO ME that's a waste of calories. But if other people like it, why not?

Thats a different topic BUT what does oil do vegetable when roasting?

I find it helps retain moisture in the veg. If I roast them without oil, they taste drier, and sometimes I can even see the surface wrinkling up.

Any good cook will say fat is flavor. There is definitely a reason for it.

I wouldn't say there isn't a reason for it -- I can absolutely tell the difference between oil roasted vegetables and those that are plain. It's just that I eat roasted vegetables just about every day and I'd rather use those calories on other things.

If I'm cooking for someone else, I'll always add the oil.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »
    But in all seriousness... if you dont drink coffee for the great coffee taste, then why drink it at all? Caffeine? You can get that in much higher doses from other places.
    Good coffee should be enjoyed black. There is no need to add sweetness or cream of any kind.

We don't NEED to add seasoning to food either, but people enjoy various tastes. If someone wants some sweetness or creaminess in their coffee, what's the problem?

A Starbucks drink would only be a waste of calories if someone didn't enjoy it relative to the number of calories that it has. If someone orders one, has room for the calories, and enjoys every drop, then it's worth it to them -- that's what counts.

When I'm roasting vegetables, I never put oil on them because TO ME that's a waste of calories. But if other people like it, why not?

Thats a different topic BUT what does oil do vegetable when roasting?

I find it helps retain moisture in the veg. If I roast them without oil, they taste drier, and sometimes I can even see the surface wrinkling up.

Any good cook will say fat is flavor. There is definitely a reason for it.

I wouldn't say there isn't a reason for it -- I can absolutely tell the difference between oil roasted vegetables and those that are plain. It's just that I eat roasted vegetables just about every day and I'd rather use those calories on other things.

If I'm cooking for someone else, I'll always add the oil.

Oh i am on the same page. When i go for weight loss, i so "diet hacks" quite often. I replace eggs with egg beaters. I grill more often and don't make sauces, etc...
  • nikki46vsgjourney
    nikki46vsgjourney Posts: 25 Member
    1 packet of stevia and almond milk creamer. :)
  • mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    edited November 2020
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners in normal amounts...they've been studied to death. You aren't going to find a natural sweetener that isn't going to add calories.

It's not just about calories. For those of us who care about insulin release, artificial sweeteners, especially sucralose, can trigger an immediate insulin release.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4059820/
    https://news.illinois.edu/view/6367/805816

I would say this is not a problem if you take coffee with sucralose right after a meal, because insulin is going to rise anyway, but can be a problem if you frequently take drinks with sweeteners.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

Because personal preference. 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Sugar
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Nothing, because sweetened coffee is vile.

Sometimes I stir my coffee with the spoon I used to put some molasses in my hot cereal, if there's just a light film of molasses on the spoon. It makes it taste about as sweet as unsweetened cold brew, i.e., it just barely takes the edge of the bitter. Anything sweeter than completely ruins a good cup of coffee, IMO, obvs.

But there's nothing wrong with using an artificial sweetener if you're just one of those wrong-headed people who think coffee needs to be sweet. I'll pray for you. :smile:

Interesting, Molasses is divine, high in non-heme iron and caloric but counted it can be great :)

I'm anemic so feel the need to clarify - SOME brands of BLACKSTRAP molasses have as much as 20% RDA iron in a tablespoon. Regular molasses and some blackstrap brands have much less iron. For example, 1 T of Grandma's molasses only has 2% RDA iron.

I haven't been able to use some brands of blackstrap in baking, but have been using this in gingerbread and gingersnaps:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slow-As-Blackstrap-Molasses-32-oz-Pack-of-6/17770607
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Bailey's Irish Cream 😉 Truthfully, I stopped using any kind of sweetener years ago. And I've been drinking it black for almost a year. Like someone else mentioned, drinking decent coffee makes a big difference. Buying good beans is one of my splurges. Why would I want to add anything?
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    For hot coffee, I just take it black, no sugar. If it's too bitter, a pinch of salt takes the edge off. We buy our beans from a local roastery and use an Aeropress to make one cup at a time.

I also make coldbrew at home by steeping about a cup of ground coffee in a pitcher of water for around 48 hours. For that I'll use the standard Folgers or Aldi-brand, I don't use the Good Beans for coldbrew since that does get adulterated. Right now I happen to have half-and-half in the fridge, so I've been using a few tbsp of that in my morning coldbrew - it's like 80 calories for the amount I use, I can fit that in my budget, whatever. Flavored creamer is about the same.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    A dash of oat milk? Never had sugar in coffee. Luckily.
  • jondorf13
    jondorf13 Posts: 9 Member
    I usually drink my coffee black. If I want a relax mood, no sugar for a cup. But if I want something that kick in my head, a cup of coffee with 2tbsp of brown sugar (unrefined) :)
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    mariomicro wrote: »
    I use pure Erythritol (not the one mixed with other sweeteners). I has no digestible carbs and has no insulin response.

I use to use coffee creamers but I found premier protein drinks a wonderful substitution. I get all the flavor and it is primarily protein, something that found lacking when I started MFP. I like chocolate, caramel and vanella.