I have jumped in the deep end.

I made the plunge! I just cancelled my WW subscription. I had been on it for a couple of years now, paying every month but doing no effort. Last month I started trying more but the cost was upsetting me. I did My Fittness Pall way back in the early 2000s. I have forgotten all I knew about it and am sure much changed anyway. I feel scared and all alone but I want this to work. I am now 72, very overweight, diabetic with severe heart trouble and can hardly walk. I need to figure out what to do now. I am going to start learning the app I guess. I will use both computer and my phone I hope. I find phone apps harder because the screens are so small. I hope that I can scan foods into the phone. So now to explore and try to figure this out.

Replies

• brianpperkins131
    brianpperkins131 Posts: 90 Member
    You can build your own recipes into the system and use those ... it just takes some time to put everything in the first time. You can use the camera on your phone to take pictures of bar codes on foods and enter things that way. You can search the database.

The big things are to accurately log what you eat ... weighing with a scale is the most precise. Be realistic with weekly / monthly goals. Be honest with yourself. Ask questions when you have them.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    And make sure when you scan products that the info in the database is correct. I’m not sure picky about if the macros are off a little bit, but you don’t want to scan it and have the calories and/or macros be very wrong. It happens more than you would think.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Welcome! I found the best way for me to get into logging was to begin by just learning how to log the things I ate for a week or two to understand how logging worked and around how many calories I was eating. Once I had that information, I was able to begin thinking of adjustments I could make to meet my calorie goal.

However you decide to do it, there is great information and community here. Good luck!
  • Qltnut
    Qltnut Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I am glad I can scan. I started by entering my breakfast. I will just log what I eat this week. I was thinking of doing it that way too. I have entered my goal info. I found some old info in there from long ago. Thanks!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    You're not alone, you have all of us! I joined MFP years ago but it wasn't until I stalled in my weight loss that I took it more seriously, came back Jan 2019, and started weighing my food and logging. I'm diabetic and disabled, if you want some workouts for sitting send me a message, I have back problems and nerve issues and have been doing YouTube seated workouts this year. Scanning is real easy, you'll have no problem. If you have a laptop or desktop I find the recipe builder faster on my laptop than on the phone. Best of luck to you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited November 2020
    Qltnut wrote: »
    I made the plunge! I just cancelled my WW subscription. I had been on it for a couple of years now, paying every month but doing no effort. Last month I started trying more but the cost was upsetting me. I did My Fittness Pall way back in the early 2000s. I have forgotten all I knew about it and am sure much changed anyway. I feel scared and all alone but I want this to work. I am now 72, very overweight, diabetic with severe heart trouble and can hardly walk. I need to figure out what to do now. I am going to start learning the app I guess. I will use both computer and my phone I hope. I find phone apps harder because the screens are so small. I hope that I can scan foods into the phone. So now to explore and try to figure this out.

Just bear in mind that when you scan you are not necessarily getting the RIGHT entry, you are just getting AN entry, same as searching on the computer, which is what I use, because I like a full size keyboard and big monitor.

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

The USDA changed the platform for their database in 2019 and it is unfortunately a little more difficult to use. I uncheck everything but “SR Legacy” - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

For cooked chicken breast: "chicken, breast, cooked, roasted" gave me https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/?query=chicken, breast, cooked and from that you can see the syntax for the MFP entry to use is "Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted"

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member

Here's a post from a person who is a just little younger than you and also diabetic with difficulty walking that you might find helpful:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10814065/losing-mobility/p1
  • Qltnut
    Here's a post from a person who is a just little younger than you and also diabetic with difficulty walking that you might find helpful:

Thanks for that post. I have looked at it a bit and will study it further. I was like her with severe pain in legs and hips in addition to my back a few years ago. My doctor sent me to physical therapy after the testing was done. My muscles were basically atrophying. They gave me exercises to rebuild. That got rid of all the pain except my back. The back is my spinal arthritis and won't go away. Lately I have started those exercises again of and on. Yesterday I added some as I am losing the ability to lift one leg to put on a sock. So I can relate to what she was dealing with. I am working to not get back to that position. So I will explore what that posts suggests. As for walking, it is now cold out so outdoor walking is out with my asthma. Walking in stores is reduced because of covid. But I will find a way.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    Also you might enjoy the 10 day challenges. The participants are so positive and gives you a community to share your weight loss journey with. Check it out under Message Boards, Challenges, 10 Day Challenges to see if it appeals to you.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Just chiming in to wish you the best of luck!! MFP has been so helpful in many ways. Setting a goal, knowing CICO, all the advice and wisdom here. I have my ups and down for sure, but am confident I will gain momentum and feel good once again. And so will YOU!
    There's always walking around the inside of where you live or walking in place even. It will all help. Stay with it and you'll feel so much better!
  • Qltnut

Thanks for that post. I have looked at it a bit and will study it further. I was like her with severe pain in legs and hips in addition to my back a few years ago. My doctor sent me to physical therapy after the testing was done. My muscles were basically atrophying. They gave me exercises to rebuild. That got rid of all the pain except my back. The back is my spinal arthritis and won't go away. Lately I have started those exercises again of and on. Yesterday I added some as I am losing the ability to lift one leg to put on a sock. So I can relate to what she was dealing with. I am working to not get back to that position. So I will explore what that posts suggests. As for walking, it is now cold out so outdoor walking is out with my asthma. Walking in stores is reduced because of covid. But I will find a way.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member

That's my playlist of seated workouts, I think it has all my favorites. There's some stretching ones too.