Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CrossFit

13»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Neither. I think it's not for me for a variety of reasons (some physical limitations, some psychological disinclinations). Some of my friends have joined Crossfit boxes around here, love it, and have had really stellar results. Different things suit different people, and that variety makes conversing with others more interesting.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2020
    I respect those that do and I actually train very similar to how CF people train. I just don't want to honestly pay the price. It's very expensive and I can afford it, just don't want to pay that much to do what I'm capable of doing myself. But I've always been one to push myself really hard on workouts.

I think, much like Orange Theory, if you can't push yourself well enough, and you really enjoy group workouts and rah-rah stuff, it's great. I do marvel at how physically fit CFers are and regularly have competed against them in indoor rowing competitions, my main form of exercise. Sometimes I get crushed by them, sometimes I win a few.

Really strong CFers are fit. And I mean that as a compliment. It's the balance of power and aerobic endurance that they go for that I understand (loving rowing as I do) and respect. You concentrate just on one, the other suffers.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    My Fiancee does it and loves it. I did a workout with her and hated it. I personally like power lifting. If you like it, it doesn't matter what others think.
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    edited August 2020
    I notice that the Crossfit enthusiasts in this thread do not mention the credentials of the people who are instructing them. That concerns me quite a bit. If at all possible, find someone who actually knows how to do the lifts and exercises without causing long term damage to your body. It may feel okay now, but become a problem years down the road. I have heard a few horror stories about "Boxes" that are owned and run by people who have no more than a weekend class "certification" in any kind of fitness or health. No, it really isn't as simple as watching a youtube video and replicating it. A good trainer will be able to see any physical abnormalities you might have and help you balance out your body and improve stability before they even start you on a heavy lifting or cardio routine. From what I am reading in these comments, you have to tell them what limitations you have and make your own modifications. That is...problematic for me. I think it's a better choice for people who already know quite a lot about lifting, form and anatomy. And of course many locations are run by proper instructors who will do a great job. But as a whole, I can't feel good recommending Crossfit, especially to new gym goers.
  • cejaibe
    cejaibe Posts: 13 Member
    Yes! I’ve been a crossfitter for 5+ years. I’m over 40 so body functionality/strength/flexibility are invaluable. I like being able to squad down to reach something in the the back of the bottom cabinet without having to crawl on the floor. I notice it in the garden too, I can Cossack squat around pulling for hours. And crossfit gives me confidence to try new things and be instantly good at nearly any water sport like paddle boarding and kayaking.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Personally, I think CrossFit is absolutely absurd. However, plenty of people hate hiking, rowing, walking, and lifting weights. So, if you enjoy CrossFit, more power to you. It’s definitely not for me though and I wouldn’t do it. I also wouldn’t expect someone who dislikes what I enjoy to suddenly like my fun stuff either though. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    edited October 2020
    Love the community aspect and diversity of exercise but not a fan of doing technical olympic lifts against a clock and I'd have to wear a mask before I was caught kipping. It's not for me but if you like it, have at it.
  • cejaibe
    cejaibe Posts: 13 Member
    I just finished watching the games. What a beautiful finish. I cry at silly movies but this is a first for a CrossFit event.
  • rwecker5782
    rwecker5782 Posts: 14 Member
    My daily life is fairly active, and after no "exercise program" whatsoever for over 15 years, I joined a Crossfit gym at 58 years old. I never got injured. I LOVED IT. I got STRONG and well rounded. Regardless of AMRAP, I purposefully did lifts and exercises as slowly as I had to to maintain form. I started "box jumps" using a few plates, and within one year was using regular boxes. I was able to do around 25 double unders uninterrupted. I was beginning to nail wall hand stands! I never was able to do unassisted pull ups or chin ups, but I was getting there. I made no real changes to my diet, and never saw big obvious visible changes to my body, and started feeling guilty about spending the money. I quit, thinking I would continue on my own at a less expensive gym. I soon stopped going there too.
    This time around, now age 62, I am dieting NOW, and walking mostly, running a little, and I just got my speed jump rope. My plan is eat at a deficit and drop the weight FIRST. I plan to rejoin my Crossfit Box and build muscle I can SEE right off the bat. I am nearly there, I think about 5 pounds to go.
  • rwecker5782
    rwecker5782 Posts: 14 Member
    My daily life is fairly active, and after no "exercise program" whatsoever for over 15 years, I joined a Crossfit gym at 58 years old. I never got injured. I LOVED IT. I got STRONG and well rounded. Regardless of AMRAP, I purposefully did lifts and exercises as slowly as I had to to maintain form. I started "box jumps" using a few plates, and within one year was using regular boxes. I was able to do around 25 double unders uninterrupted. I was beginning to nail wall hand stands! I never was able to do unassisted pull ups or chin ups, but I was getting there. I made no real changes to my diet, and never saw big obvious visible changes to my body, and started feeling guilty about spending the money. I quit, thinking I would continue on my own at a less expensive gym. I soon stopped going there too.
    This time around, now age 62, I am dieting NOW, and walking mostly, running a little, and I just got my speed jump rope. My plan is eat at a deficit and drop the weight FIRST. I plan to rejoin my Crossfit Box and build muscle I can SEE right off the bat. I am nearly there, I think about 5 pounds to go.