The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @dbanks80 You have been through a lot. Be encouraged that you cut your binge short. <3

<3<3
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,482 Member
    So true, FooFoo. My bills eating out are MUCH cheaper now that I am not drinking. Like at least a third less.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    I went to lunch today (outdoors of course) with a friend I have not seen for a year, Thanks, Covid. We both had iced teas then she ordered a beer which was fine with me. The server, however, would not take no for an answer when I kept politely saying 'no, thank you'. He'd say, "wine? a cocktail? No? Are you sure? Can I twist your arm?" I think he thought he was being clever or funny and it really didn't bother me THAT much as I am feeling pretty happy NOT drinking, but if it had been another day and I was in a different frame of mind, it might have made me say, "oh why not?!" I just let it go but really, alcohol is so ingrained in our culture, people just find it surprising when you turn it down. Crazy.

Several months ago, we were talking about how to decline. Someone said “Thanks, but I’ve reached my lifetime limit.” I have used this one and it works quite well.

I have also found that when the table is dry they don’t press as bad as when just one person is dry. Maybe one day society will shift the norm.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    I don't have advice, @Beka3695, but I want to say I'm so sorry you are going through this. 255 days is HUGE, and it sounds like the sobriety obviously has helped you think clearly. I feel sure that living in your truth can only lead eventually to positive things, but I'm sorry you have to go through this difficult transition time. I'm thinking of you.

Have a great weekend! Thinking of you! <3
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,482 Member
    I'm down 6.2 lbs due to no alcohol which led to sensible food choices and portion control. My annual physical is Jan 6 which is about 7 weeks away. I'm hoping to be down 20 and have my liver and cholesterol numbers in the excellent range. I like my Dr. so much I am doing it for her praise as much as for my own benefit. I promised her last year I would try and I don't want her to think I am not listening to her advice.
    @RubyRed427 You have totally got this. Glad you have a plan and have a great time!
    @FeelinFooFoo I am so proud and inspired by you! Great job!
    Have a great and healthy weekend, Everyone!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member

@JenT304 Congrats on your weight loss!!! Yahoo! xo
    The scrapbook girls have been texting this morning... one is bringing Crown apple bottle and other lots of alcohol she stated.... I will sit there with my teapot and tea. I'm bringing all the tea elements to scrapbooking.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    WOW @JenT304 that is awesome weight loss!! Congratulations! It makes a huge difference with no alcohol.

@RubyRed427 You got this! I know you will refrain and be strong.

I am doing well. Haven't been drinking. My Alpha Strength class is having a dinner get together. I cannot make it because i have to work tonight. Glad i have an excuse not to drink.

Next Thursday I am going to ATL to celebrate my sisters 50th bday. She already told me she bought a case of champagne!! Good grief!! I am feeling a little anxiety around that. This is the first time seeing her since my son's funeral and I DO NOT want this trip to turn into a pity party about me. I told her I am celebrating her bday. I dont want to about my son, her nephew. I need a nice break.

Hope you all have a great weekend!!