What foods are just not worth the # of calories?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Jacq_qui wrote: »
    Cheap chocolate.

Or really any mass-produced factory candy bar. I'll pop a few mini-Twix or mini-Kit Kats when presented with the opportunity...but full-sized versions of these things...nope, not at all worth the calories.

I'd rather have a smaller amount of super-dark, high quality chocolate instead.

Have you tried Halo chocolate? it's pretty expensive, but if you're not spending on other treats is definitely worth it!

I had to look it up....you mean Raw Halo? It looks great, but not available in the U.S. unless I want to pay a bundle in international shipping. One of my favorites here right now is Endangered Species chocolate.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Jacq_qui wrote: »
    Cheap chocolate.

Or really any mass-produced factory candy bar. I'll pop a few mini-Twix or mini-Kit Kats when presented with the opportunity...but full-sized versions of these things...nope, not at all worth the calories.

I'd rather have a smaller amount of super-dark, high quality chocolate instead.

Have you tried Halo chocolate? it's pretty expensive, but if you're not spending on other treats is definitely worth it!

I had to look it up....you mean Raw Halo? It looks great, but not available in the U.S. unless I want to pay a bundle in international shipping. One of my favorites here right now is Endangered Species chocolate.

Endangered species 88%!
  • pancakerunner
    Cheap oils
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Cheap oils

Maybe if you’re using it to dip bread.
    But for cooking purposes, I can’t tell the difference.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    Cheap oils

Maybe if you’re using it to dip bread.
    But for cooking purposes, I can’t tell the difference.

You may want to consider the fact that using oils that are not good quality (or low smoke point) Create free radicals and can go rancid easily
  • yamsteroo1
    yamsteroo1 Posts: 1 Member
    Any shop bought cake or dessert - they look lovely, then you eat them and think 'meh, not as good as I thought it would be', waste of calories.
    If I want cake or dessert now I make my own so I know exactly what's in it and avoid all of the chemicals they have to add. Plus because I'm usually busy and haven't time to bake, it dramatically cuts down how often there is a dessert or cake in the house.
  • VegjoyP
    yamsteroo1 wrote: »
    Any shop bought cake or dessert - they look lovely, then you eat them and think 'meh, not as good as I thought it would be', waste of calories.
    If I want cake or dessert now I make my own so I know exactly what's in it and avoid all of the chemicals they have to add. Plus because I'm usually busy and haven't time to bake, it dramatically cuts down how often there is a dessert or cake in the house.

I agree 100 % , have no idea how ppl can disagree. Except for the super high end gluten free cheesecake I get on a 1-2 times a year. The only issue with home made is only making 1 serving, which is what I do 🙂 otherwise it becomes a habit
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »

I agree 100 % , have no idea how ppl can disagree. Except for the super high end gluten free cheesecake I get on a 1-2 times a year. The only issue with home made is only making 1 serving, which is what I do 🙂 otherwise it becomes a habit

I didn't hit the disagree button, but I do disagree depending on what type of "shop" we are talking about.

Pre-packaged, mass-produced baked goods...sure, totally not worth it.

But, bakery shop cakes and pastries? I'm not making that level of product at home. And real bakeries don't fill their products with "chemicals".

Plus, at a bakery, you CAN get one portion...one cupcake for a treat. No one's baking one cupcake at home.

Agree! Supermarket cakes are SO not worth eating...because they generally (from my experience) taste disgusting! Full of ingredients that are questionable...but yes, a beautifully made cake/pastry, etc., made from a 'real' bakery is amazing....
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP wrote: »

I didn't hit the disagree button, but I do disagree depending on what type of "shop" we are talking about.

Pre-packaged, mass-produced baked goods...sure, totally not worth it.

But, bakery shop cakes and pastries? I'm not making that level of product at home. And real bakeries don't fill their products with "chemicals".

Plus, at a bakery, you CAN get one portion...one cupcake for a treat. No one's baking one cupcake at home.

Completely do agree there! I was only thinking box conventional. Bakery is different! Thats a rare treat indeed
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    edited November 2020
    We suddenly have four French style bakeries, an Australian bakery, a pie shop, and a Cupcake Wars winner on the “Square” in our little downtown area.

If nothing else, I sure enjoy the fragrances as I run on the path that goes directly behind three of them.

Especially the one owned by the French couple. That croissant smell can lift me right off my feet.

• pancakerunner
    caramel corn!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

I’m guessing the disagrees were about the scary chemiKILLZ.
  • devonc2015
    devonc2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Crappy cheese. Seriously.
  • pancakerunner
    devonc2015 wrote: »
    Crappy cheese. Seriously.

SERIOUSLY yes
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Not worth it: Sugar-free pudding. It's has only 10 fewer calories per serving than the sugared version with a zillion more chemicals. Same goes for sugar-free whipped topping. I rarely eat either, but when I do, I buy the regular kind with sugar.

• MsCzar
    edited November 2020
    You can quickly check out the labels and compare sugar-free to sugared here:

https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Instant-Pudding-Dessert-Vanilla/dp/B005JD4QLC?th=1
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited November 2020
    MsCzar wrote: »

For that brand, yes. I would never buy that brand of SF. I buy jello brand which is only 25 cal per serving whereas regular is 100 cal per serving (4 serving per container). Definitely worth it since I eat 2-3 boxes a day, lol.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »

For that brand, yes. I would never buy that brand of SF. I buy jello brand which is only 25 cal per serving whereas regular is 100 cal per serving (4 serving per container). Definitely worth it since I eat 2-3 boxes a day, lol.

What I do is buy this: gb8iq9plhred.png - 20 calories/pouch and makes 2 cups. I flavor it with steeped fruity herbal tea and stevia.
  • MsCzar
    edited November 2020
    Thanks noreenmarie, PAPYRUS3 and senalay788!!! Until now, I thought that Royal and Jello were pretty much interchangeable. I always liked the taste of Royal puddings over Jello so that is the brand I've always bought. Never thought of using the unflavored gelatin; but then again, I rarely eat puddings or gelatin desserts - or desserts at all for that matter - so as far as 'calories not worth it' - the sugar free versions made little sense to me. Good information there- so I will certainly make use of it!

Thanks again! <3