60 yrs and up

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    :)My connection with others is on this thread and another thread called "Women Ages 50+" I read the threads every morning and comment when I have something to say. My healthy day goes better when I am in contact with others who share my journey.

:) I walk in my neighborhood every morning without exception, ride my exercise bike while watching TV, dance a few days a week and seek every opportunity to be active.

:) Food has been more of a challenge for me since my husband bought a Ninja Foodi and keeps trying new recipes.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    I read all the posts since I was on last! :) I finished putting my art room/home office together so this week I started back to my plan to get exercise at least every weekday. Also get back to home cooked healthy meals. A few days last week when I was working hard on setting things up we had take out a few nights. So far so good.

I did my strength training routine Tuesday and got some sun. I took a long walk on Tuesday. The longest one I have done in my neighborhood. Yesterday I did a resistance band video. It was the shortest (30+ minutes). After checking my other thread I plan to see if I can walk 1 more block farther which means 2 more blocks since I will turn around then. Last time my walk time was just under and hour so this way I am shooting for at least an hour. It is sunny today so I will get some sun.

I am supposed to get the paperwork for my new job today and meet my new boss at my new office on Monday morning although I will be working remotely. I am assuming this way I can pick up the equipment I need. I started working out a plan/schedule to keep active while working and keep making healthy meals at home despite going back to work fulltime. I will keep working on that over the weekend.
  • Hi I’m new here and don’t really understand how to use this, but I’m desperate to lose weight as I’m getting older and on the verge of getting a number of health problems due to over weight
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Hi I’m new here and don’t really understand how to use this, but I’m desperate to lose weight as I’m getting older and on the verge of getting a number of health problems due to over weight

This thread is an excellent on-ramp to using MFP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

(Don't let the joke-y title put you off: The thread itself is very factual and straightforward!)
  • helenET74
    helenET74 Posts: 2 Member
    cherylre wrote: »
    Hi. Looking for friends 60 and older to help keep us all motivated. Maybe checking in with each other every day to keep us on track. Just started yesterday, have to lose 30 lbs. The older u get the harder it seems to get.

I’m 74, & Committed. Please count me in. Thank you
  • helenET74
    helenET74 Posts: 2 Member
    Can anyone tell me how to change from premium subscription to regular free subscription?
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    helenET74 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to change from premium subscription to regular free subscription?

Helen, I found this under Help:
    https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625371-How-do-I-cancel-my-Premium-subscription-renewal-
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Did anyone else see the Lentil-Sausage Stew with Sweet Potato Croutons here on the MFP website? I made it yesterday for the football game and everyone liked it!
  • crossme78
    crossme78 Posts: 5 Member
    Add me...new on app need some fp friends!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Welcome and best of luck!
  • brendarosen1954
    brendarosen1954 Posts: 2 Member
    I am 66 and have a thyroid problem and stage 2 diabetes. I started in late September to log my foods and go to the gym three times a week. So far I have lost 17 pounds. I started at 266. I still need to loose 109 lbs. It isn't easy but I am doing all I can to get of the meds. Whatever you do don't quit, if you have a bad day tomorrow is a new day to start again. Never give up hope.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,240 Member
    I am 66 and have a thyroid problem and stage 2 diabetes. I started in late September to log my foods and go to the gym three times a week. So far I have lost 17 pounds. I started at 266. I still need to loose 109 lbs. It isn't easy but I am doing all I can to get of the meds. Whatever you do don't quit, if you have a bad day tomorrow is a new day to start again. Never give up hope.

Good luck it is possible my hubby did it, good luck.
  • mrsbfe
    mrsbfe Posts: 52 Member
    I have such a difficult time keeping up with the message board! How do you know where you left off?

What fitness trackers do you use? I don't want to wear one on my wrist, and I don't want to (really, it's "can't") remember to carry my phone around with me all day. I saw that FitBit Inspire can be put into a clip, has anyone tried that?

Sheri in OH
  • mrsbfe
    KeriA wrote: »
    I read all the posts since I was on last! :)

How do you know where you left off? I'm having so much trouble keeping up with this board and the 50+ board.

Sheri in OH
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    @laurabeverlyhills29 When you say you don’t understand how to use this, do you mean MFP or this thread? For this thread just read posts and post when you want. A support group is key to losing. I too have another one I follow besides this one. I follow this thread since there are age issues to losing weight not just life. The other one is one with women who have a similar amount of weight to lose and is really supportive. If it is MFP than let us know and we will try to answer your questions.
    @brendarosen1954 Great progress. I am 67 and was 266 last year. Down 20+ lbs but working for more. I am trying to not have to go on any meds. Keep up the good work.
    @mrsbfe If I have been on more often it is easy to find the last time. If it has been a while don’t worry just go back as far as you want and read what is helpful. Respond when you feel called to but don’t worry about responding to everything. Just start where you are. I gave up on one thread that everyone responded to everyone and there were so many posters. I have another thread where I am concentrating on losing and getting fit with women who have the same amount to lose. I try to check it every weekday because it helps me to lose. This one I try to check regularly enough that I can see my last post and keep track on how others are doing. However sometimes I just read the last page or 2 and go from there. No worries.

As to tracking I had a fitbit Versa(smart watch) and I loved it but it started to irritate my skin. I am just using a fitbit zip now and it is only a glorified step counter but it syncs with MFP. I will look at the Inspire. So I am in the middle of my 2nd week on my new job.

The 1st week I got little exercise and we had take out too many days so I gained a bit. This past weekend I tried to do meal planning and we got groceries so we should be cooking healthy food again at home this week. Although my weekly average wasn’t high I was high a few days last week and I do better when we cook at home. I also got my strength training in on Sunday to make up for missing it last week. We took a short walk Monday and since I have the day off today I plan to get in some exercise. So the plan is to get back to meals at home this week and start to establish more exercise each week. When I work fulltime I have trouble cooking at home and exercising. So that is what I am working on now besides just dealing with having a new job and doing it remotely. This time around at least I don’t have the commute. Also since my home office is in my art room in the basement I get a lot of stairs now.
  • mrsbfe
    I was trying to insert an image of my cat "forcing" me to sit on the couch instead of go for my morning walk, but I'm not having any success. Is there a size limit? A secret code? A limit to number of cat pics on the internet? I've resized it twice, and tried it with both the little camera icon and the picture icon (what's the difference?) Anyway, I spent way too much time on that so he's gone on his way and I'm off to go on my walk with the goats.

@KeriA Thank you. Over the last few years I've been trying to undo 50 years if perfectionism, so I was ridiculously stressing over reading every post from whatever point I was at last. 🙄
  • AZKaren52
    AZKaren52 Posts: 2 Member
    H there! I'm 68, a grandmother of 8. I've been married for 49 years this coming January. I've put on 20 of 50 original pounds lost since Covid lockdown. Decided I needed to do something about it. I'm depressed enough about the sad situation.I don't need to be depressed about my weight, too. So here I am. I originally lost tge 50 pounds on Medifast and kept it off till the Pandemic hit. This time I'm using Wonderslim (Diet Direct) because it's less expensive than Medifast. I look forward to joining in.
  • AnnPT77
    mrsbfe wrote: »
    I was trying to insert an image of my cat "forcing" me to sit on the couch instead of go for my morning walk, but I'm not having any success. Is there a size limit? A secret code? A limit to number of cat pics on the internet? I've resized it twice, and tried it with both the little camera icon and the picture icon (what's the difference?) Anyway, I spent way too much time on that so he's gone on his way and I'm off to go on my walk with the goats.

@KeriA Thank you. Over the last few years I've been trying to undo 50 years if perfectionism, so I was ridiculously stressing over reading every post from whatever point I was at last. 🙄

The tech part: I've found that sometimes I can't load a photo (repeated tries), but if I try a few hours later or the next day, it works. Or, at roughly the same time, it fails to upload to MFP on my laptop or phone, but will upload from my tablet (. . . and sometimes not from the tablet, but it works from one of the others). I'm tempted to think it has something to do with load/capacity, but don't know if issues with network speed from my side (timeouts) or issues on the server side.

Try at a different time, maybe from a different device. Your avatar photo of (what I assume is) your cat is adorable, so it would be fun to see the couch-anchor one. 🙂

If you mean the camera icon/picture icon inside MFP forum when you're posting, the camera inserts just a link (to the photo elsewhere on the MFP server, when it's your photo), and the landscape-y picture icon inserts an inline image (the actual photo should appear in the post itself). In theory. Because sometimes IME the inline image becomes a link (not very often). 🤷‍♀️

These "only sometimes" answers are not ones I like giving: I'm a retired IT person, from the software side. I'm pretty good at "black box" testing (where you try things, in order to determine how the software works under the covers). This photo-related experience hasn't been satisfying, for that Me.

Now, back to your post: Goats?!? If you can make photos work, we really could use a photo of the goats, too, I think. 🙂
  • AnnPT77
    AZKaren52 wrote: »
    H there! I'm 68, a grandmother of 8. I've been married for 49 years this coming January. I've put on 20 of 50 original pounds lost since Covid lockdown. Decided I needed to do something about it. I'm depressed enough about the sad situation.I don't need to be depressed about my weight, too. So here I am. I originally lost tge 50 pounds on Medifast and kept it off till the Pandemic hit. This time I'm using Wonderslim (Diet Direct) because it's less expensive than Medifast. I look forward to joining in.

Welcome, Karen: Wishing you much success!

I think I would have trouble, personally, with something like Medifast/Wonderslim, because I really needed the extra practice managing calories with regular food/eating, in order to handle weight maintenance smoothly. But I know many people are very successful with those kinds of diet strategies, so I hope it will work great for you, again! 🙂