What's on your mind?

Replies

• Miss_Chiev0us
    Miss_Chiev0us Posts: 1,592 Member
    On another note. I started a plant based diet today. My oncologist and his team referred me to a vegan nutritionist and I went to see her yesterday, I started today and the tofu I ate for dinner that was supposed to taste like chicken tasted nothing like chicken 😅 This isn't going to be easy.

I can't even imagine giving up meat. Or cheese. But meat AND cheese? I don't think I could do it.

Nope. Don't think I could do it at all!

It's going to be so hard 😅 Meat... not so bad, but cheese, I LOVE cheese! I'm hoping I can find some recipes I can enjoy.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    I'm tired and trying to figure out how to decorate a cake for my son's birthday tomorrow. I know basics, not making character faces out of icing. :grimace:

Also, with all the talk between myself and my stepmom, I'm wondering if maybe it would benefit me more to go have a routine exam done at some point even though I was told I could go five years or more without one because my results last time came back normal. Hers did, too.. and it was only the new(er) doctor wanting to take a small biopsy based on a hunch that even caught her cancer at the stage it was at (Stage III).

What kind of cake are you thinking of? You could always make cute cupcakes? On my daughtelast birthday I baked a bunch of cupcakes and her and her friends all decorated them. They really enjoyed that. I made kind of a candy bar with all kinds of icing and treats, it was a hit.

About your routine exam... from my experience, it's always best to go even if you've been told you don't have to. When I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer I was told a couple months before that I was cancer free. Little did I know that it came back with a vengeance. It's always best to prevent so it can't do you any harm ❤

Sadly, my child is always ultra specific about the characters or types of cakes he wants, down to the weird flavors. He wants Jibanyan from Yokai Watch this year and I can't weasel out of it and just put figurines on the cake this time like I have in the past. :grimace:

And I'm thinking you're right: I'll have to schedule an appointment anyway as I believe a routine issue I get (and am aware of) is acting up and needs looking at again, anyway. Bleh.
  • Cat0703a
    Cat0703a Posts: 17,416 Member
    On another note. I started a plant based diet today. My oncologist and his team referred me to a vegan nutritionist and I went to see her yesterday, I started today and the tofu I ate for dinner that was supposed to taste like chicken tasted nothing like chicken 😅 This isn't going to be easy.

I can't even imagine giving up meat. Or cheese. But meat AND cheese? I don't think I could do it.

It's going to be so hard 😅 Meat... not so bad, but cheese, I LOVE cheese! I'm hoping I can find some recipes I can enjoy.

I’ve had Chao Cheeses which are plant based and sold in Canada. I’m not plant based but I enjoyed the cheese in a sandwich. Best of luck with this transition. It did wonders for my parent’s Heath concerns, @Miss_Chiev0us. Just took a lot of getting used to.
  • Miss_Chiev0us
    edited November 2020
    Cat0703a wrote: »

I’ve had Chao Cheeses which are plant based and sold in Canada. I’m not plant based but I enjoyed the cheese in a sandwich. Best of luck with this transition. It did wonders for my parent’s Heath concerns, @Miss_Chiev0us. Just took a lot of getting used to.

Thank you, I know it's not going to be easy. I've tried it back in April when I was done with my chemo treatments but I only did it for about 1 month. I felt good, just didn't stick to it. Now I have someone to guide me through it, I'm hoping I can stick to it. May be hard with everyone eating meat in the house 😅

I got some vegan cheese at groceries today but didn't try it yet.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Cat0703a wrote: »

Thank you, I know it's not going to be easy. I've tried it back in April when I was done with my chemo treatments but I only did it for about 1 month. I felt good, just didn't stick to it. Now I have someone to guide me through it, I'm hoping I can stick to it. May be hard with everyone eating meat in the house 😅

I got some vegan cheese at groceries today but didn't try it yet.

This previous version of yourself that you allude to? I can't fathom. It doesn't compute. 🤔

The @Miss_Chiev0us I've read since my time in the forums this year is consistently funny, alluring and seems so very resilient.

As for going vegan, it can be impactful to your energy levels and do wonders for skin. That said, depending on what type you choose (or how "deep" you go), it's easy to maintain or gain weight by accident... especially with processed vegan foods.

At least that was my experience near the end of being a dietary vegan for over a decade. There's been many products introduced to the market since that time (like better mock cheeses and meats and sooooo many luscious desserts 😔).

Your nutritionist may suggest you stick with your own recipes for a while though. There are many great cookbooks and recipe sites. Vegans also have a wide range of tricks (pressing tofu before marinating, spice blends, nutritional yeast, etc) that make meals outstanding!

It doesn't have to be all learned all at once and I hope you enjoy the process this time around now that you also have some professional guidance!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I haven't worked in 13 months and I'm really starting to feel useless.

You are far from useless. It may seem minuscule, but you make a lot of people smile, and you serve as a shinning example of true bravery.

Thank you so much for saying that 💗 It means more than you know. I'm just a little hard on myself sometimes. I lost alot of things in the past year because of my illness, things I worked my *kitten* off for. I've always been a workaholic and now I can barely go for a 1 hour walk. I know it will get better but it's just been a *kitten* year.

In many ways, if I may suggest this, you are doing more for people now than you might have been when you were working.

You are a light and testimony to a great and determined spirit. You are loving and supportive, welcoming and kind... Even to those who may never say a word to you.

From time to time I'd peek in here, but I was still too wounded to stay for long. Every time I peeked in, I was touched in some way by something you shared or posted.

You may never realize just how many lives you've touched just by being here and sharing your story and heart. You are valued here (and not just by the people who interact with you!)

I hope that wasn't too sappy (or creepy).

I think what you said was perfect and portrayed a lot of others' feelings. :)
  • ReenieHJ

But cheese alternatives can be (almost) as good!! I ate a slice of vegan american cheese by itself and was amazed that it tasted just like regular cheese. And when you add vegan cheeses to casseroles, etc., I cannot tell the difference. My dd makes her mac n cheese using cashews(too much work for me) and nutritional yeast and dh, who's clearly a meat/cheese lover, said it was the best he'd ever had.
    Good luck!! You can do this :) We already know how strong you are. Eating vegan cheese will be super simple. :)
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    fukjtqmzgs8j.jpeg
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited November 2020
    Who’s man is this
    Lawda mercy

• Miss_Chiev0us
    edited November 2020
    Anyone else have this doll when they were a kid? I just seen this and it brought back memories.

bc1y4thhy5ku.jpg
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Does Black Sapote really taste like chocolate pudding?

Its kind of a soft avocado consistency that tastes like cocoa to me.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Does Black Sapote really taste like chocolate pudding?

Its kind of a soft avocado consistency that tastes like cocoa to me.

Interesting, I kinda hope I can get hold of some

I used to add it to custard.. delicious.
  • ReenieHJ
    @Kosmoskitten,
    I don't know about you but 'in these times' ( I know, I know, everybody's sick of those terms but what can I say, it fits) my negative outlook has increased 100% and it's difficult to find the good stuff anymore. :( I'd suggest seeking counseling but IIWM, I'd most likely ignore that bit of wisdom. Have done it often in my past and never found a good fit.
    With that said, try to handle 1 piece at a time because if everything invades your brain all the time, it feels more than overwhelming. Maybe let your thoughts out in a journal then try to let them go, at least temporarily. Your brain and body needs a reprieve from so much stress and worry. :( We all know what those things can do to a person.
    Keep doing things that are good for you, things you take pleasure in. Take a walk in nature, IF it's something you enjoy. Watch a comedy, IF you like them. Don't bring added pressure into your brain thinking you NEED to do certain things; only do them if you like them or miss them in your life.
    I wish you well and hope for good things to happen for you.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Oooh... lots of things:
    • Will my grandma be okay? She recently started locking herself in her room and refusing to come out for either my uncle or my cousin (who live with her and are her caretakers). She has Alzheimer's, so... I'd rather her not lock herself up. She was living off of protein shakes for like.. a week because she would refuse to get out of bed or venture anywhere else in her home. My mom and stepdad came to visit today for my son's birthday and updated me on how she's doing and it isn't great.
    • Will my stepmom's surgery be okay? Will they cut out all that needs to be cut out? She's done pretty well with chemo as far as tiredness/eating/energy which has surprised a lot of people, apparently. She has a great attitude about it all as well. I just know that my dad is worried and so will I be (I keep it to myself though because I don't want to burden her with more stuff since she already has to live with my dad and he's become super protective).
    • Am I ever going to get a handle on my health and take it seriously? I always just relapse into not exercising, not really giving a *kitten* and not taking care of myself. Some of it isn't helped by having clinical depression, but also.. I'm just lazy and hate exercising. I can eat a great diet for awhile, but living in a house with a partner who brings in a bunch of really bad food choices and who has no problem enabling bad behavior doesn't help. He also needs to watch himself because unlike me, he can be "let go" from his job for not being in shape or gaining too much weight. :grimace:
    • Should I be more concerned about possibly developing cancer at some point? I was adopted, so my medical history is a giant mystery to me.
    • Why does it feel like I never progress? It's just a giant landslide backward.. in all areas of life. All the time, concurrently.
    • Why do I only acknowledge my failures and not any small thing I accomplish? Maybe because they are always small things? I never do anything noteworthy; never have.
    • My son turned 9 today; 9 years flew by awfully fast. Holy *kitten*, I'm getting old. I don't like this. Still, he's growing up and doing fine (and I didn't kill him like I do every plant I ever touch, so that's a + I suppose). He's a smart and goofy kid.
    • Damn, with all this crap in my brain, it's no wonder I can never sleep!

Happy belated to your mini-KosmosKitten! He sounds like a pretty noteworthy accomplishment 😉 Also, aren't you moving soon? Major life transitions are noteworthy too.

It sounds like you have a lot going on (an understatement, I know). It is so great that this is a safe space to process feelings like these. I hope you feel supported a bit cuz we rock with you. 🤗