Mine is NOT a Success Story

NovusDies
NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
My story is an underdog hero's journey. I am the unlikely person to overcome overwhelming odds to not only help myself by also aspire to help others. Success would mean I am done. I am just getting started.

Starting at class 3 obesity, because that is as high as it goes, I was a highly disabled person. Standing for more than about 5 minutes was torture. Walking a sidewalk required a rest at the end. I was sub sedentary. My health was beginning to fail. I had tried and failed to lose weight for 3 decades. I had given up. I believed I had 5-7 years left to live. My doctors would not disagree. My conditions were still in their early phases but they were the kind that snowball quickly.

Early 2018 I engaged in a situation that resulted in weight loss. It was accidental. It was also an epiphany. Weight loss is not something to force. Weight loss is something to allow to happen. With a change in perspective I wrote a new plan. A plan based on making the process as easy as possible being very kind to myself. Initially I didn't try to exercise or even move more. I should have been trying to do sitting exercises but I never said I handled it all perfectly.

For the first couple of months I still was not really into cooking for just myself so a lot of my meals still came from the freezer. I was eating more salads too but I knew eventually I was going to need to do better. The thing is doing better is easier when you lose weight and feel more energetic so I am thankful for all the chicken nuggets and fries and their kin for helping me lose that first 30 pounds.

My underdog hero's journey did not have a musical montage to speed up the story. It was a daily process of incremental change. That is why it had to be easy. That is why it had to feel mostly normal and not like I was "dieting" for almost 3 years. You have to find your happy and your normal in as many days as you can along the way. That way you can more easily weather the bad ones. Do not go out of your way to make days harder. That is what I always did. It always led to failure.

There is no room for style points for doing something social media worthy. The process of weight loss should be as boringly easy as it can be. People are often eye glazing over bored when I answer their question of how I lost my weight. They want to hear me say something like omad vegetarian keto with a side of autophagy. Nope. Eat less and, as possible, move more. The thing is the process is boring. The results are anything but. My story is told and retold and some of the ones telling it are my doctors. I consider it a tragedy to be this rare and unique. I hope that everyone reading this will make what I have done more common.

In the course of losing over 250 pounds my life and health have dramatically improved. The person who could barely walk down a short sidewalk can now walk over 8 miles in a single session. As I mentioned I didn't do it all perfectly. I made mistakes. I had my share of weak moments. I even planned to eat more than I needed on occasion. When you create a landslide of right choices the wrong or possibly questionable ones get swept under.

However, I am not the hero of your story. You are. I am the mentor janitor who serves as a guide. You have obstacles in your path. That is part of the hero's journey. Put one right choice in front of the next and chip away at what stands in your way. Do it for yourself, but others will notice. It will give them hope. That is an awesome gift to give.

Wake up each day in your story. Show up ready to do what you need to do. Embrace that part of you that is already a hero. If you have a great day then you move closer. If you stumble and fall you try to learn from it and also realize that, too, is part of your journey. You don't become a hero without a few bruises.

Replies

• ksharrell48
    ksharrell48 Posts: 170 Member
    Thank you, ND. I really, really needed to read this today. I am grateful to be ever moving forward. <3
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    You are great!
  • noone8850
    noone8850 Posts: 10 Member
    That was awesome! Hell yeah!
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    ...I am thankful for all the chicken nuggets and fries and their kin for helping me lose that first 30 pounds.

I love this. Whatever works, works.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Thank you for sharing your journey. :):)
  • bigblues11
    bigblues11 Posts: 203 Member
    You are a true inspiration!
  • FourWindsWalker
    FourWindsWalker Posts: 143 Member
    I needed this at this exact moment.

Thank You.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    I beg to differ, yours IS a success story. Because success isn't measured only at the finish line, but rather at every step we give in the right direction. You say you are only getting started, and I say that's a great, great start. :)

Thank you so much for sharing your story, it's very inspiring and I wish you all the best! <3
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    @NovusDies I love your stuff, this post is a bonus : ) Great to hear a different perspective/take....
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I'm so happy for your success (so far). I like taking everyday and just trying to do better for yourself. It works well for you and many can benefit. Thank you for your post, and much luck in the future.
  • oceanblue6
    oceanblue6 Posts: 76 Member
    edited November 2020
    "Weight loss is not something to force. Weight loss is something to allow to happen. With a change in perspective I wrote a new plan. A plan based on making the process as easy as possible being very kind to myself."

I love this! Completely articulates something that I have been feeling intuitively, but hadn't been able to fully formulate yet. Thank you. Just what I needed.
  • brittkd14
    brittkd14 Posts: 22 Member
    Simply beautiful. Hugs.
  • toaslimmerme
    toaslimmerme Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for posting this! Kudos to you!
  • tinaslim
    tinaslim Posts: 48 Member
    WOW! Thank you! Very impressive and motivational!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Great post, thanks for sharing your journey!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!