Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,844 Member
    I had an interesting experience today. I was denied the possibility to make a purchase in a shop because I refused to take off my mask.

I entered a shop to join my husband, who was in the process of purchasing a bottle of whisky. We are both 15 years over the legal drinking age. In this country, the use of masks in public spaces is strongly recommended by the government and a shop can refuse entry to you if you do not wear one.

Well, in my case, the assistant rudely demanded that I remove my mask. When I said I would not, and pointed out the existence of a pandemic, she refused to continue the sale. I offered to her my ID, which clearly shows I'm over 30, but she would not even look at it and said I do not want to see your ID, you need to remove your mask. Needless to say, we left without buying anything.

Last spring there was a story about a store in New York city that had a sign up saying that there were no masks allowed in the store. Have no idea how that all shook out over time.

• kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    I had an interesting experience today. I was denied the possibility to make a purchase in a shop because I refused to take off my mask.

I entered a shop to join my husband, who was in the process of purchasing a bottle of whisky. We are both 15 years over the legal drinking age. In this country, the use of masks in public spaces is strongly recommended by the government and a shop can refuse entry to you if you do not wear one.

Well, in my case, the assistant rudely demanded that I remove my mask. When I said I would not, and pointed out the existence of a pandemic, she refused to continue the sale. I offered to her my ID, which clearly shows I'm over 30, but she would not even look at it and said I do not want to see your ID, you need to remove your mask. Needless to say, we left without buying anything.

It's really hard to tell your age with a mask on and I don't blame the clerk for wanting to see your face. If they don't card/at least visually see that you are of age they can lose their liquor license and I think it's pretty terrible of you to refuse to pull down your mask for 1 second so they can follow the law /shrug. If they refused to allow you to wear the mask at all maybe you'd have a good argument or right to be upset but it's pretty selfish of you to refuse to allow them to verify your age (plus even if you gave the the ID to her...with a mask on how exactly would the clerk verify it was you if they can't see your face?).

If you go to the airport TSA makes you lower your mask so they can verify your face/ID match....completely reasonable and acceptable.
  • kushiel1
    SModa61 wrote: »

Last spring there was a story about a store in New York city that had a sign up saying that there were no masks allowed in the store. Have no idea how that all shook out over time.

It wasn't no masks allowed in store... it was pull your mask down and get your face captured by the door with the camera before you can enter. The store owner was robbed 3 times i believe before installing that rule.

That seems very reasonable to me. I've often pointed out to my husband lately that it's funny that a year ago we'd never be allowed in places with a mask on but now we have to wear them...and curious if their rates of robbery has gone up due to the fact that people would be really hard to identify and therefore feel like it's worth the risk.
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 wrote: »

It's really hard to tell your age with a mask on and I don't blame the clerk for wanting to see your face. If they don't card/at least visually see that you are of age they can lose their liquor license and I think it's pretty terrible of you to refuse to pull down your mask for 1 second so they can follow the law /shrug. If they refused to allow you to wear the mask at all maybe you'd have a good argument or right to be upset but it's pretty selfish of you to refuse to allow them to verify your age (plus even if you gave the the ID to her...with a mask on how exactly would the clerk verify it was you if they can't see your face?).

If you go to the airport TSA makes you lower your mask so they can verify your face/ID match....completely reasonable and acceptable.

Ok, less judgement please. No need jump to call me selfish and pretty terrible.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said she wouldn't even look at my ID. Had she said she wanted to see my face in order to check the ID was mine and asked me to pull down my mask for a moment it might have been a different conversation, I can understand a polite request to march the ID against the face of the person presenting it. However, she was extremely rude and insisted she would not look at my ID card at all and I had to fully take the mask off. I don't see that as her just "following the law".

Might have been a bit harsh but let's not pretend this whole thread isn't full of judgement. Obviously I was not there and have no idea how rude the clerk was or if they started off rude or what. But I will say that if masks are going to be with us long term then we all need to be more understanding of the clerks who work in places like that (or airports or whatever) and if they ask us to remove the mask to look at your face briefly (and you can put it right back up) we should immediately comply and just get over it. They aren't paid enough for any of us to refuse or be rude about it /shrug. Maybe you were perfectly nice about it and their attitude was left over from someone else...but you refused to comply with what they wanted you to do to be in their store and you don't get to complain about it if you want to be able to go in there.