Jump/skipping rope

Has anyone used a jump rope for losing weight/fat loss?
If so, has it been effective and to what extent?
Thanks

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I tried, but kept tripping myself up, so in my case it has been no use whatsoever.

It will have the same effect as any other pretty high intensity cardio (which I do do) so if you enjoy it, then use it, always remembering that weight/fat loss is primarily governed by calories in/out.
  • violetanderson39
    violetanderson39 Posts: 64 Member
    I use it as a regular part of HIIT workouts and warm ups. It gives me a fun physical challenge. I can't say I know how much it does on it's own as I don't use it as a regular workout on it's own
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Cardio is for health and a calorie deficit is for weight loss.

While exercise can help with the deficit, it shouldn’t be used in place of eating in a deficit. It can take me HOURS of cardio to burn off the calories from a cupcake that I can eat in under 5 min 😂
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

wish it was that simple, show me a fat Marathon runner, I'll hold.... (jk)
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    yes jumping rope is fantastic, learn proper form and you'll work out your forearms as well, so great lower and upper body workout and tone
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    KHMcG wrote: »
    I learned to jump rope at 45 years old. It is by far the most effective cardio. Full body cardio, low impact since you are only jumping 1-2 inches off the ground. Efficient as you burn 2x faster than walking and 1.5x faster than running. It encourages good shoulder posture and works your abs arms glutes and legs.

Check out Jump Rope Dudes for more info.

It was hard to learn but once I got it O loved it. Now it's like dancing to my fav tunes and working out.

You inspired me 100%! Husband ordered a very nice one with an option to add weight and adjustable for length. I'm a runner but as a kid, I loved to jump rope. I've contemplated getting one for awhile. Now I'll get to open it up on Christmas and act all excited! Thanks for the insight and positive push!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    muszyngr wrote: »

It IS that simple... eat in a deficit and lose weight. Like I said, you can use exercise to help achieve it, but it’s definitely better to be at goal before exercise if possible.

CICO is all that matters
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member

I've known quite a few people who are overweight and run marathons. Perhaps not in the same time frame as their leaner competitors, but they're out there.
  • JintheSouth
    JintheSouth Posts: 44 Member
    I second everything KHMcG said.

I started jump rope in March at 49 y/o and I love it! Definitely check out Jump Rope Dudes on YouTube. They offer tons of tips to get you started.

I use Crossropes. They’re pricey but worth it. I use their app daily. The workouts include straight jumping with 20-30 second rests in between for endurance, and also hiit and tabata workouts with body weight exercises for strength.

Jump rope allows me to get me heart rate up more than any cardio exercise I’ve tried. I’ve noticed positive changes in my body since starting and I attribute that to the hiit workouts with the body weight exercises. I was doing strength training with resistance bands prior to starting jump rope, but didn’t see much change in my lower body until I started jump rope. The cardio along with the strength training and getting the heart rate up have resulted in positive changes for me.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    I don't have a crossrope. After 4 years of jumping I have not convinced myself to spend 100 dollars on a rope yet. Someday.

I use a Tangram Jump Rope Pure Bluetooth enabled rope. It has a decent weight and counts every jump. It is not very fluid for tricks however.

If you choose to start on a less expensive rope make sure eyou do not buy a speed rope. They are harder to learn with.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I cant use a rope because it would hit my ceiling fan. I do jump rope moves without a rope. Just bounce in place and circle your hands as if holding a rope. They also make cordless, but I don't really see the point. Just jump!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member

I've known quite a few people who are overweight and run marathons. Perhaps not in the same time frame as their leaner competitors, but they're out there.

Yep, that's me :D

Every so often I try skipping again, it's really hard and I spend a lot of time tripping over it!
    I remember doing it all the time as a child, should have kept it up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member

It's quite controversial for a number of reasons, and not super common (especially lately, it seems), but some races have even had special classes for heavier people (Athena/Clydesdale, for women/men respectively, with the women's weight minimum in the 145-160 pound region, men's 200-220, in my understanding).

I've been a fat (technically obese by BMI) short-endurance athlete (not long-endurance) - was for around a decade, before losing weight. I've known multiple casual marathon runners who were clearly materially overweight, though probably not technically obese.

Is it a great thing to be active/athletic, but overweight/obese? Of course not. But it's a better thing than being inactive and overweight/obese . . . and it's a thing that does actually happen out in the real world, even though it's not the common case.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Soooo back to OP topic.
    Jump Rope to burn cals...

https://youtu.be/Sz96SdflS9A
  • analyticalchick
    analyticalchick Posts: 2 Member
    I have a $20 weighted rope and a speed rope. I like the weighted rope better. I usually jump on the rubber surface at the park. I always jump outside so I am not worrying about a fan or anything.
  • uppercutXpert
    uppercutXpert Posts: 23 Member
    I cant use a rope because it would hit my ceiling fan.

I had the same problem when I move to my condo so I decided to remove the ceiling fan and put it in another room. Now I can jump rope in my little training room. It's not very big but it does the job.
  • LoveyChar
    Does anyone jump outside on pavement or is that too hard on the joints? Also, does anyone or everyone wear shoes for comfort when jumping in the house?
  • JintheSouth
    JintheSouth Posts: 44 Member
    I don’t do it often, but I’ve taken my jump rope to the pavement. I use a mat and find it doesn’t affect my joints.
    For indoor jumping, I trip a lot and when I do it’s mostly my big toes that get the brunt of it. Can’t keep a nice pedicure :). So, yes, I use shoes when jumping indoors or out. The leather shoes are better than fabric. The fabric don’t protect your toes at all. I would think you would want to use shoes to protect the balls of your feet as well since that is where you would be landing on mostly.
  • LoveyChar
    I don’t do it often, but I’ve taken my jump rope to the pavement. I use a mat and find it doesn’t affect my joints.
    For indoor jumping, I trip a lot and when I do it’s mostly my big toes that get the brunt of it. Can’t keep a nice pedicure :). So, yes, I use shoes when jumping indoors or out. The leather shoes are better than fabric. The fabric don’t protect your toes at all. I would think you would want to use shoes to protect the balls of your feet as well since that is where you would be landing on mostly.

Thank you!