Anyone do 10-35,000 steps a day?

cyaneverfat
cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
edited November 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
10,000 is my goal (I did it everyday for about two years), and 35,000 steps is the most I've done in a day without running.

Do you find it easy to eat within your calories by doing this many steps? what other health benefits have you seen?

Do you stop for a few days if you get a twinge or pain in your foot or knees? do you take a bag with spare shoes, leggings, baby powder incase you need to swap or get chaffing?

Do you take any four legged friends with you? (funny story, my parents cat used to walk with them to work when they were young).

Any keen photographers? wondering if keeping a lookbook of places I walk will motivate me to get out there more.

Do you do most of your walking outside or on a treadmill? or are you a mall walker? (I've tried mall walking, but none of our malls are that big, so I feel a bit weird doing laps).

Replies

• cyaneverfat
    What do you do when you're not in the right headspace to walk? like you really don't want to? because that's me 90% of the time, it might be because it's summer or because I have to take my dog, or maybe it's because I've gotten so big and unfit.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    I joined #99walks, every month you set your own mileage goal and when you meet it they mail you a bracelet with that months theme message on it. It's a silly little thing, but it's good for some external motivation :)

I eat most, but rarely all, of my exercise calories back and still have steady losses.

My doggies can't go as far as I can do they get a walk in the morning and I go back out later on my own.

I've ordered a treadmill but that's really more for when the weather gets bad.

I don't take many photos but I've got tons of podcasts and audio books to keep me going.
  • cyaneverfat
    Great thread so far. Thanks guys!
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    I average about 14000 on days when I can walk, but due to work schedule that is usually only the weekends.

I don't take anything extra with me, and have no four-legged friends to walk with. I am lucky to have a neighborhood with LOTS of sidewalks (almost every street) so I just go different routes to look at the pretty gardens of my neighbors and enjoy the bird song. I do usually listen to music/podcasts while walking.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I do 10-12k on weekdays and around 20k on weekends. I take the fur kids on the weekends (hiking usually) and my hubby takes a bunch of photos.

I just like the outdoors, but I do also use the treadmill because I get antsy if I walk less than 10k and my job is super sedentary.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    I currently walk about 22,000-29,000 steps a day in my local woods. I love finding new vantage points or little items to photograph - we don't talk about my eleventy billion mobile phone photos of fungi :) I also go hiking most weekends, for about 15 miles or so (35,000+ steps).

I don't take anything with me unless I'm actually going hiking, and if I get any twinges I do less rather than stopping (I find that actually resting fully tends to make things worse). But I've worked up to this sort of distance over a couple of years, so my body is used to it.
  • I LOVE going for daily walks. But where in the world do you find time for that many steps? I can only go on my lunch hour, and I'm still only topping out at around 6,000 steps for the entire day!
  • cyaneverfat
    I LOVE going for daily walks. But where in the world do you find time for that many steps? I can only go on my lunch hour, and I'm still only topping out at around 6,000 steps for the entire day!

I'm unemployed, but other people may be quarantined from Corona. Plus, there's the weekend.
  • Dogmom1978
    I LOVE going for daily walks. But where in the world do you find time for that many steps? I can only go on my lunch hour, and I'm still only topping out at around 6,000 steps for the entire day!

I’m essential so I’ve been working the whole time. However, I have a home gym with some sweet cardio equipment plus evening walks with a couple of the dogs. If I skip them though, I’ll be below 10k for the day. I just prioritize a bunch of exercise into my days whenever possible.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member

I'm currently working from home due to Covid. I wake up early and go for a long walk before I start work, and then I take a long walk after lunch as well (and work later in the evening to make up my hours). I'm basically prioritising exercise because it's not like there's anything else to do!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I usually get 10,000+ steps a day just from walking my dogs (on running days 10K+ before breakfast). I suspect the only times I've gotten 30K + steps without running is when my wife and are on vacation, we tend to walk a lot at our destinations as a great way to really get to see them.

I tend to not carry anything other than my phone (and poop bags if walking the dogs) but having said that I'm lucky to have feet that are designed to take a pounding and don't have a hard time finding really comfortable shoes.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member

I have to walk my dog in the morning before work, then I try to get out for a walk at lunch, and after work go with the dog again. Doing this, I usually manage at least 10,000 a day, split into 3 blocks of half an hour ish.
  • sjlsjll
    sjlsjll Posts: 4 Member
    Wow. I am in an area (France) where we can only exercise/walk outside for 1 hour and at most 1km per day. So for me, it is not possible to get in 10,000 steps. I do the max allowed though and usually manage about between 6,000 and 7000 steps.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I walk and run outside always, whatever the weather. I know people find treadmills convenient but the boredom would destroy me. Audio books or podcasts to pass the time.
    I take whatever seems necessary for the conditions, usually at least water, a biscuit or something, bank card. Gloves/ hat etc.
    Photos for Instagram

Regarding not wanting to - I try not to think in those terms. The decision has already been made, that is what I'm going to do. I need to get on with it. In the same way that I don't want to wash up or clean the bathroom. That's irrelevant, I still have to do it.
  • Dogmom1978
    sjlsjll wrote: »
    Wow. I am in an area (France) where we can only exercise/walk outside for 1 hour and at most 1km per day. So for me, it is not possible to get in 10,000 steps. I do the max allowed though and usually manage about between 6,000 and 7000 steps.

US here and I’m sorry, but I don’t quite understand the one hour limitation. Why are you only allowed outside for one hour? And who exactly would stop you from being out longer???
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,512 Member
    My Goal is 20,000 with 1 day rest (Sunday's ) we walk almost every day with 1 of our dogs (Aspen our Husky) ...Dakota my German Shepherd has bad hips and limps so he doesn't go with us :(...I hit my goal everyday except Sundays :)
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    sjlsjll wrote: »

US here and I’m sorry, but I don’t quite understand the one hour limitation. Why are you only allowed outside for one hour? And who exactly would stop you from being out longer???

I expect it's the Covid lockdown rules.

The rules vary (and change) but in some European countries you need a valid reason to be out and it can be be checked by police.