Non Scale Victories

Replies

• @bmeadows380: I sympathize. I wear a ten, sometimes wide, depending on the cut of the shoe, and I need a roomy toe box owing to the things I've done to my feet over the years. Right now I am living in men's slip on sneakers. (https://www.footsmart.com/collections/mens-slip-on-shoes/products/propet-wash-wear-slip-on-ii-sr-gunsmoke-black) -These specifically, because they will take my lift without any problem.

I shop pretty much exclusively at Footsmart online because of that issue.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Today's NSV was really starting to piece together how my mental health affects my hunger and eating behaviors. Last week was rough for me, anxiety- and depression-wise. And I felt like I was utterly unable to control my eating. I was constantly hungry, constantly needing to snack. Like craving chocolate, once I thought of it, I had to eat it. And not just a snack, or a handful of chocolate chips. Five handfuls of chocolate chips finally satisfied the craving. Literally all I could think about was the flavor, the texture, how it would feel to eat it. I ate over my goal, and over maintenance most days. I managed to log most of it, but definitely not all of it.

In the past, I always wondered why suddenly it became impossible, even though I hadn't changed my eating habits. It'd go from feeling like I can do this forever, to feeling like I can't do this for one more day. It is frustrating when something can be sustainable for months, and then one day, suddenly feel so unsustainable. I'd think about how I suddenly couldn't do it anymore, it was just too hard, clearly it wasn't meant to be, because who can live like that forever, and I'd eventually give up. This time though, I recognized it! It didn't suddenly become impossible, something else changed (i.e. my mental health)! I didn't panic about my eating and cravings. I just focused on getting my mental health in order. And sure enough, once the depression in particular died down, my hunger levels (and self-control) came back to normal with ease.

It still scares me for the long-term, because this wasn't the first time I'll deal with these issues, nor will it be the last time. And there will come a time when I'm not able to pull myself out of it like I was this time. But, recognizing it is a huge step, and makes being proactive about my mental health all the more important.

So why is this a NSV?
    1. I was able to recognize the underlying cause of my cravings/eating behavior
    2. I was able to DO something to address the underlying cause
    3. Because I addressed the underlying cause, I then was able to address the actual behavior (too many chocolate chips)
    4. It reinforces how important it is for me to prioritize my mental health for the sake of my whole health and well-being.
    5. Because some day, it won't be as easy as it was this time. But now I can try to be prepared for it, to minimize any damage.

And even though my anxiety is spiking again tonight, I'm being as proactive as I can be, and I'm feeling a little more confident going forward.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,578 Member
    eliezalot wrote: »
    In the past, I always wondered why suddenly it became impossible, even though I hadn't changed my eating habits. It'd go from feeling like I can do this forever, to feeling like I can't do this for one more day. It is frustrating when something can be sustainable for months, and then one day, suddenly feel so unsustainable. I'd think about how I suddenly couldn't do it anymore, it was just too hard, clearly it wasn't meant to be, because who can live like that forever, and I'd eventually give up. This time though, I recognized it! It didn't suddenly become impossible, something else changed (i.e. my mental health)! I didn't panic about my eating and cravings. I just focused on getting my mental health in order. And sure enough, once the depression in particular died down, my hunger levels (and self-control) came back to normal with ease.

Wow. Thank you for posting. This is so insightful. And what a major accomplishment to recognize it in the actual moment! Sometimes I can recognize my anxiety/depression reactions in hindsight...but rarely in time to adjust my behavour. Congratulations.
  • lauriekallis
    eliezalot wrote: »
    alisampm wrote: »
    Possibly a TMI NSV - a regular sized towel wrapped and covered all my bits today after my shower! 🚿🧼

Yesss I love that feeling! The first time I realized that, I spent a totally unnecessary 20 minutes walking around the house in my towel. Just because I could.

I love this one too! This summer it became possible and I still can't believe that the towel overlaps now.

This afternoon I had a nice NSV. I was carrying a few groceries home from the store, chatting with a friend and not paying any attention to where I was walking. I tripped on a bit of broken sidewalk - and then caught my balance!

A year ago I would have flailed around until I eventually hit the ground. Hard. But not today.
  • eliezalot
    I ran again!! I've missed it so much!

Today I did W4D1 of C25K, the first time you run more than you walk. My legs are feeling great, and no foot/heel pain!! It actually felt so good that I ran an extra 5 minutes or so, just for fun. My legs could have kept going, but I really don't want to push it and anger my foot again. I still wear my night splint and do an ice massage after I run, and so far I haven't had any issues. I'm equal parts happy and impatient. It feels so, so good to be back to running. My body feels good. My brain feels good. But I also just want to be back to doing longer distances already. Patience is not my strong suite!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Eliezalot that is great....I promise you I will never run unless a bear,tiger or lion is chasing me!
  • eliezalot
    Eliezalot that is great....I promise you I will never run unless a bear,tiger or lion is chasing me!

Hahaha childhood me HATED running. From elementary school through college (with the exception of running track in high school...but like, sprints and long jump. Nothing longer than 100 meters lol!). My younger self could have never predicted this.
  • eliezalot
    I've been continuing with my zoom yoga classes, and have really been joying the yin yoga in particular. And, with regard to flexibility, it is starting to pay off!! While stretching today (hurdler stretch/half caterpillar pose), I was able to 1. reach my toes, 2. clasp both hands around my foot (from the side and the top), and 3. briefly touch my nose to my knee.

I haven't been able to do any of those things since high school. So at last 16 years.
  • I had a fibro flare today.

I got the hall painted AND all the tape off AND all the painting stuff put away/rinsed out/etc, despite that. I am pretty proud of myself.

The flares don't seem to be as bad as I lose the weight. It's not been fun. But it's not been as bad as it used to be.
  • _inHisGrace
    _inHisGrace Posts: 183 Member
    Awesome! Keep up the good work. Beautiful!
  • conniewilkins56
    cnb124 wrote: »
    This side by side pic of my face after losing 45 pounds is my NSV for today. I have 150 pounds to go and I am excited to do it. Sorry for how large the pic is.
    njbhsr0pba2w.jpg
    Wow, what a difference!
  • lauriekallis
    This side by side pic of my face after losing 45 pounds is my NSV for today. I have 150 pounds to go and I am excited to do it. Sorry for how large the pic is.

Congratulations! You look fantastic! Your skin has adapted so nicely.

It amazes me how individual weight loss is. I didn't start seeing a change in my face until I was further along - at about the 75 pound loss mark. And then, to be honest, I wasn't happy to see it because I am all baggy and saggy! But that is to do with age as much as weight loss.
  • lauriekallis
    After taking a deficit break and upping my daily calories my scale has not been a reliable source of "good job" confirmation lately. Yesterday I picked up a vintage skirt skirt I saw on Facebook marketplace. It reminded me so much of a skirt my mom had given me from her youth. It is a size 8, wool, with a lining, nothing stretches anywhere with this baby! I haven't worn a size 8 since I can't remember. Nine months ago I wore size 22 or 24 and shopping has been so limited because of Covid that I really have no sense of the size of my body. I just keep pulling out old clothes from my weight gain journey.

I was embarrassed to pick up the skirt - I thought the woman selling it would laugh at someone my size buying this little skirt. She didn't comment on that at all - only said that she thought I looked like "Blaze." I had no idea who that is - but now know and it was a compliment indeed!

When I got home and unfolded the skirt I couldn't help but laugh. Didn't think I could even get one leg into this long skinny tube. Didn't think there was a chance that I would ever wear this skirt and started thinking of who I could give it to.

I put it in the closet - it had to share a skirt hanger with another skirt from pre weight gain - and I was shocked to see that the new one was only a few inches smaller than the old one on the hanger and started thinking...maybe...if I do indeed lose another 30 lbs (which will take me 30 pounds under my smoking weight). I went off to cook dinner, and this skirt was dancing around in my mind so I came back before I ate and actually tried it on. I managed to get it up! The zipper gaped wide open - but WOW.

Can't believe it! I'm in a state of denial and wholesale excitement at the same time. Wonder how long it will take for my brain to catch up with my body!
  • eliezalot
    njbhsr0pba2w.jpg

Your cheekbones!!!! Gorgeous!
  • emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    Sort of a scale victory but also sort of not—yesterday I weighed in at the weight it says I am on my driver’s license. Only took 6 months and 73 pounds to get there, haha.
  • _inHisGrace
    emmyjaykay wrote: »
    Sort of a scale victory but also sort of not—yesterday I weighed in at the weight it says I am on my driver’s license. Only took 6 months and 73 pounds to get there, haha.
    Oh my! Thank goodness we don’t have weight on our licenses in Florida!
  • _inHisGrace
    I don’t have to sit down to chop stuff for cooking anymore!!!!!!
  • conniewilkins56
    I don’t have to sit down to chop stuff for cooking anymore!!!!!!

This was my first big deal losing weight!...being able to stand preparing a meal!...I used to have to sit down every five minutes!....I still keep a chair that rolls in the kitchen but I use it to sit in when I put things in the back of low cabinets....

I love it that you are finding it a little easier to stand while you chop...do you have a Fitbit?....mine reminds me to get 250 steps in every hour....it helps!