Weight's stayed the same for 3 weeks - not up nor down. Any advice?

I do intermittent fasting, 20:4, and I've lost every single week since 3rd August when I began until 3 weeks ago. It's consistently 142Ibs i.e. 64.8kg i.e. 10st 2Ibs (I've hopefully covered all the metrics).

My target weight is 134Ibs ie. 61Kg i.e. 9½stones so almost there. I really thought I would have hit that but as I said, no movement.

Is this normal?

I would have stayed at 142Ibs, if that's what my body wants, but my normal weight (according to the NHS) should be between 46.8Kg - 62.9Kg so I'm 1.9 kilograms overweight!

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    What they said^^^^ If you're not using a digital food scale it will be a little hit or miss. Some people (most) have to be very precise to lose the last 10 lbs. Congratulations on your loss.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited November 2020
    It wouldn't hurt to evaluate your logging accuracy. How often do you use a food scale for your solid food? Could you use it more often? How often do you eat food prepared by a restaurant/friend/family member? Could you prepare more of your own food. (Unless your friend/family member/restaurant keeps meticulous details of the ingredients by weight, eating food made by others forces you to estimate.) Double check that your entries in the database are accurate in their nutritional data.

Less estimation and more precise numbers can help make sure you're in a deficit. But as others have said, it could just need patience at this point.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    Apart from food logging inaccuracies and sticky scales here are two more things to look into:

* scale batteries still good?
    * Time of month or any other reason to retain a bit of water?
  • thebiblewithtina
    thebiblewithtina Posts: 48 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    When you say you weight has stayed the same, do you mean it hasn't changed for 21 straight daily readings? Or that it hasn't changed for 3 weekly readings?

I weigh every Friday, never on other days and for the last 3 Fridays, my weight has stayed the same.

• thebiblewithtina
    Thank you everybody. Much appreciated. I will be patient. I only eat between 4 to 8p.m. When I hit my target weight, I'm planning to start eating between 2 to 8p.m. I don't really log but I'm suspecting I don't eat enough.
  • thebiblewithtina
    You didn't say what height you are but sounds like you are at a healthy weight, and that always means losing the last few lbs/kgs is going to take time

I'm 5'3" and if the NHS hadn't recommended my healthy weight, I'm happy to stay where I am. I'm only 6Ibs away from it but 8Ibs from my target weight so I can have a pound or two to play with. Thank you.

• Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    My advice is to really log your food. You've very little to lose and so inaccuracy is holding you back.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited November 2020
    So you are intermittent fasting but not logging your food to monitor calories? You have to log your food, especially since you don't have much to lose. You are eating more than you think. Intermittent fasting is not a weight loss tool. You can gain or maintain weight on it. You still have to cut calories to lose weight. I have done IF for years, just because it fits my schedule, and I have maintained my weight for years. If I want to lose, I need to lower my calories. You can eat a ton of calories in a few hours.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    When you say you weight has stayed the same, do you mean it hasn't changed for 21 straight daily readings? Or that it hasn't changed for 3 weekly readings?

I weigh every Friday, never on other days and for the last 3 Fridays, my weight has stayed the same.

I'm going to post this with some trepidation, because I fear the main point may be lost.

The main point is that slow loss can be a freakin' misleading b-word, in practice - excuse my vague hints at bad language. 😉 For you, OP, I'm hoping that may be a little reassuring.

Background: I'm in year 5 of maintenance now, after losing 60 pounds, so I really trust my process (details of calorie counting, what my maintenance calories are, effects of exercise and more). Over about the past year, I've been losing a few vanity pounds ultra-slowly, averaging half a pound a week, and usually less. (I like painless, especially for vanity pounds.)

I'm going to share my recent Libra (weight trending app) chart, then add a few comments after the image. The horizontal to downhill-ish connected line is my weight trend (just a statistical thing, kind of a rolling average). It's supposed to dampen out the effect of daily fluctuations. The little vertical lines connect my daily weigh-ins to the trend line. (More comments below.)
    u7b7aevzkqkb.png

Over this period, mostly nothing much changed. There are occasional over-goal days in there (which account for some of the high daily weigh-ins, mostly from water weight & digestive contents changes). But clearly, over the full timespan, the overall trend is very slow loss.

Now, look at July specifically. The trend starts about 129.5, ends up just a tiny bit lower. The first 2-3 of weeks look like gain, in the trend line. The daily weights are crazy-fluctuate-y. I didn't change much of anything in July . . . except for one small thing. I (re-)started a strength training routine. We're not talking long sessions, daily sessions, or heavy weights. We're talking a li'l ol' lady doing some basic conditioning with lighter weights, 3 times a week, for maybe half an hour each time: Not dramatic.

That whole month looks like no loss at all, overall. But there was just fat loss still happening slowly, hidden by water retention. (It shows up, finally, in that steeper-downslope drop in August.)

Many, many things can cause that effect, via water retention: A salty dinner the night before weigh in, some sore muscles, a little head congestion from allergies, a minor injury involving inflammation/healing, and many, many more possibilities. Bodies are just that weird.**

I'd also suggest that you look closely at my daily weights (endpoints of those little vertical lines). Most of the time, I was eating at a consistent net calorie level. The daily weights were still up and down, sometimes by a pound or more. If you look super closely, you'll see periods where there are weigh-ins around a week apart, that are exactly the same weight - in September, say. My actual fat weight was declining, my daily weights were up and down in a confusing way, but it's possible that weekly weigh-ins would've implied there was no fat loss and no change in weight.

Do you see what I'm saying?

I'm not trying to convince you to weigh daily, or anything like that. I'm simply trying to use my recent experience to illustrate graphically/viscerally that you may well be losing fat, and still getting the result you see on the scale.

Best wishes!

** https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member

If it's the latter, be aware that many body weight scales keep the previous reading in electronic memory, and only change the display if the reading changes by more than some set amount like a half pound or so. I proved my scale does this, so now I always step on it twice: once with extra weight in my hands, and then again without it. I haven't seen the scale "stick" since I started doing this.

Another thing to try if your electronic scale is refusing to budge is to remove its batteries, wait a minute or two for its memory to clear and then put them back in. You won't want to do this every day but once a week or so seems like it might be good for your situation.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    With just weighing once per week, 3 weeks no change means nothing. The amount of water stored in your body constantly fluctuates (Waterweight: this is not fat but totally normal), as does the amount of waste in your system (Poopweight: also totally normal). And if you don't step on the scale naked then this might be another thing that is not related to fat that will vary. With weighing just once a week you might hit days where your water/poop/clothes weight just happens to be a bit higher than on the previous week.

But more likely the lack of process is due to being too impatient as weight loss will be slow for your, or not using a food scale and overeating.
  • brianpperkins131
    brianpperkins131 Posts: 90 Member
    Thank you everybody. Much appreciated. I will be patient. I only eat between 4 to 8p.m. When I hit my target weight, I'm planning to start eating between 2 to 8p.m. I don't really log but I'm suspecting I don't eat enough.

If you weren't eating enough then you would be losing at a rate higher than expected. The more likely thing is that due to your lack of accurate and complete logging that you are eating too much to lose that last little bit of weight.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    Just my 2 cents worth- if I go out to eat, I gain 4 pounds for 4 days (I am sure this is due to sodium content). I have now figured that out for my body so I can rest assured during this period and just continue my eating and tracking disregarding the scale reading until 4 days later when I miraculously return to the before weight. My sister and ex- brother in law are chefs and I have witness them cook and the secret of great tasting restaurant food is salt and butter!
  • thebiblewithtina
    Thanks everybody. Much appreciated. I've taken all you advice on board. God bless.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Thanks everybody. Much appreciated. I've taken all you advice on board. God bless.

Let us know how things work out in the next few weeks, OK? Hoping you see a nice drop! 🙂