LET'S TALK THANKSGIVING!

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited November 2020
    Just bought 2 15# frozen turkeys for 59¢/#.

Put them in water in a cooler in the backyard. Should be fully defrosted in 2 days and will smoke 1 and roast the other immediately thereafter.

Happy Early Turkey Day! :)
  • We’re getting together with my parents and my sister’s family. Probably just the one sister’s family, not my other one, whose husband is more concerned about COVID.
    I plan on baking an apple pie, a pumpkin or sweet potato pie and a pecan pie. I finally found the best recipe for handmade crusts after much searching and trial and error, and I am going to put my perfected skills to good use!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Finished roasting and smoking my 2 15# turkeys the other day. Both segmented and seal packed. Froze the roasted one and am eating the smoked one from the frig.

Boiled down the smoked turkey bones w/the roast turkey dripping and made over 8 qts of stock. Used 2 qts 2 make gravy; bottled and friged the rest.

But still not done yet!

Just bought a 25# turkey for just 29¢/# based on a min $25 purchase offer. That bird is defrosting now and will be ready 2 roast in a couple of days.

I live alone and will be eating turkey everyday in a variety of way for awhile.

LOL!

This is awesome...
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Finished roasting and smoking my 2 15# turkeys the other day. Both segmented and seal packed. Froze the roasted one and am eating the smoked one from the frig.

Boiled down the smoked turkey bones w/the roast turkey dripping and made over 8 qts of stock. Used 2 qts 2 make gravy; bottled and friged the rest.

But still not done yet!

Just bought a 25# turkey for just 29¢/# based on a min $25 purchase offer. That bird is defrosting now and will be ready 2 roast in a couple of days.

I live alone and will be eating turkey everyday in a variety of way for awhile.

LOL!

pro!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I looked at the price of turkey yesterday at the grocery store. $1.59/lb, and Minnesota is the #1 turkey producing state. What’s up with that🤷🏻‍♀️ Prices are ALWAYS lower this time of the year.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, old fashioned's, wine, espresso and pumpkin pie...
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, old fashioned's, wine, espresso and pumpkin pie...

YEP!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited November 2020
    I looked at the price of turkey yesterday at the grocery store. $1.59/lb, and Minnesota is the #1 turkey producing state. What’s up with that🤷🏻‍♀️ Prices are ALWAYS lower this time of the year.

Aldi-US had them for 67¢ lb. this week - but the birds were ginormous! Costco usually has them for 59¢ lb. Monday after T'Day. I'll pick up one then. Loves me some turkey tacos!
  • xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member

Aldi by me had .88/lb butterball & .69lb shady farms!
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    If I was single (grown kids living out of the house, and divorced for example) I would seriously fast for that entire bloody Thursday just go for a walk, take a shower, work out maybe, watch some movies or TV shows, and be that much ahead of the game come Friday morning when all my butter ball friends woke up 6 pounds over weight, ha ha

that is my dream
  • sgt1372
    edited November 2020
    Decided 2 just break down the 25# bird raw and freeze the parts but made another 8 qts of broth w/the bones.

Used 6 qts of the 8 qts of broth made earlier to make congee. Saved the meat (about 2#) from the bones to use in the congee and to make turrkey spread 4 sandwiches

Yum!

Msy buy another 25# bird at 29¢/# b4 TG but have to eat up most of the turkey meat I've already got b4 doing that.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    So I'm vegan and alone on Thanksgiving, however this year my roomate asked if I wanted to do something together since she is with family on the Friday after.
    We eat the same and feel same way about food and holidays- so we will be making vegan Latcakes with Kite Hill vegan sour cream and going for a mega long walk- jog to prep her for half marathon.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited November 2020
    Turkey . 29 a pound?? Wow, cheapest I've seen is .69 and that's with a purchase of $50 or more, not that spending $50 in a grocery store is difficult. :)
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    This year i'm trying a bit of some different recipes. Still doing Turkey! Trying a different recipe for green beans (Green beans with fig vinaigrette) Butternut squash puree (rather than mash or sweet potatoes/hams). Sausage, apple and squash casserole (in lieu of my famous stuffing) and maybe creamed spinach. This is a more Paleo/Whole30 attempt. We are just us and i may see if my friend wants to come over or my good SIL. I try not to cook TOO much. I cook more at Christmas... Turkey and ham, plus stuffing plus greens beans and some roast squash or sweet potatoes. One year I did a lovely ham with stir fried brussels sprouts! :smile: (with a bit of chillis and everything. was really good).
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I usually get a second turkey to cook on Wed. before for stock and extra meat. Remove the properly cooked meat and then roast the bones and carcass another hour or so till darkened and dump it in the huge stock pot with a few extra carrots and celery hearts, bouquet garni. and let it cook overnight on very very low, then strain it for gravy, etc. I do it the night before so I don't have to round up containers and make a mess twice.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    For those of you spending the day alone, a cornish game hen makes a perfect turkey for one. And Anchor Hocking makes a lovely 6" pie pan that holds about 1/3 of a pie recipe.
  • sgt1372
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Turkey . 29 a pound?? Wow, cheapest I've seen is .69 and that's with a purchase of $50 or more, not that spending $50 in a grocery store is difficult. :)

Yes, 29¢/# w/a $25 purchase at FoodMax in NorCal. Best deal anywhere.

Only "problem" was that they only had +25# turkeys available when I bought the last one.

Previously bought 2 15# turkeys for 59¢/# w/o a min purchase. I of the 15# turkeys is already gone but I've still got the parts from the other roadted 15#er and the raw 25#er in the freezer.

Have2 go back 2 FoodMax 2mortow 2 buy afew things but will probably pass on buying any more 29¢/# turkey bc there's no room for another 25#er in the freezer.

LOL!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Welp, I'll cook a turkey and have leftovers til Christmas because it looks like it'll be me, dh, and the pups. They'll be happy with leftovers. :)