Proud Owner of a New Outlook on Health

Just wanting to share my success story -

In 2016, I spent a lot of time living in the extreme end of things and worked to lose 40 pounds. After my wedding in 2018, I fell off track (hard) and gained nearly 50 pounds. I didn't even realize how bad it got - when I stepped on the scale this past June, it read 20 pounds MORE than I thought I was. Talk about sucker punch. I'm now down a little over 35 pounds (again) but I’m so dang proud. I’ve made such a conscious effort to do this sustainably. Focusing on consistency rather than perfection. Focusing on increases in strength rather than decreases on the scale. Most importantly giving myself grace for the days I don’t hit my macros perfectly or I don’t get my work out in.

I've also been making sure I prioritize sleep and stress management. Both have impacts to weight loss. Dieting and exercising is super taxing on the body. The physical and emotional stress that occur naturally from being in a deficit is very real. Those stress hormones play a role in the ability to lose weight. I think making sure you are enjoying your food intake and exercise plan is integral not only for compliance but for ensuring you’re on the path of least resistance at a physiological level. In simpler terms, stress from being in a diet + stress you impose from “not making progress” = no bueno.

Current stats: Starting weight was 172, I’m at 136 right now. I was averaging 1500 cals a week (would have 1700 on Saturdays and 1300 on Sundays) for most of my deficit, but recently decided to start increasing calories by 100 every two weeks (following same weekly average formula) until I find my maintenance. I'd like to lose another 10 or so pounds, but I'm in no rush so thinking of hanging in maintenance till early next year to give my mind and body a dieting break. I do 35% P 35% F 30% C but that is what I have found works best for me.

I work out 5-6 days a week. 4 lifting days (2 upper/lower body splits each) + cardio 3 days a week + 6 days of getting 10k steps.

pvykrciic5bl.jpg

Replies

• 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 228 Member
    You look great. I love the part about giving yourself grace - in the past I have quit if I over ate or didn't see the loss I expected. I have learned to forgive and move on and that has been very important to my success. I love that you are taking a break and sticking with maintenance. I am thinking I will do that in about 25 pounds or so. I will still be in the overweight catagory but will be down 45 from where I started. I have been at that weight before and was comfortable. We'll see what happens. Great job on your weight loss!

• You look absolutely phenomenal. I think I recognize you from your 2016 before/after ? Congrats on your hard work!
  • msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member
    edited November 2020
    Kudos to you!! You look fantastic!

And I agree with you so hard on this: "Dieting and exercising is super taxing on the body. The physical and emotional stress that occur naturally from being in a deficit is very real."

I'd like to lose another 10-15lbs, but after 8months of dieting/exercising/restricting taking up so much mental and psychological energy, I am taking a break and currently in maintainence-ish mode (increased calories a bit, still tracking and logging food daily, but not weighing myself as I think I would freak out to see weight gain, etc). This whole health/fitness/diet is still taking up my mental real estate, but the weight, pun fully intended, feels lighter on my shoulders.

Questions for you (and others who might like to share):
    -do you still weigh yourself every week while in maintenance?

-would you concretely say that your macro goals have impacted your results?
    I set my macro goals similarly to yours, but I am always waaaayyy over in carbs because I eat a good amount of fruits, veggies and grains.. and those add up to a lot of carbs. Because it was added stress to hit those macro goals on top of calorie counting, I just focused on the latter: stay within my calorie goal (and maybe increase my daily protein macros if I can). But in the new year, I wonder if I should shift things around and really try to not go so over in my daily carb macros, even if it is coming mostly from whole foods. Would like to hear from your experience if hitting up macros feels any different than CICO?

But once again, congrats on your results and your new and empowering health outlook. Your abs and waist= my 2021 body goals!
  • laurosaurusrex
    laurosaurusrex Posts: 66 Member
    1poundatax wrote: »
    You look great. I love the part about giving yourself grace - in the past I have quit if I over ate or didn't see the loss I expected. I have learned to forgive and move on and that has been very important to my success. I love that you are taking a break and sticking with maintenance. I am thinking I will do that in about 25 pounds or so. I will still be in the overweight catagory but will be down 45 from where I started. I have been at that weight before and was comfortable. We'll see what happens. Great job on your weight loss!
    I was the same way! One “bad” weekend and I would throw in the towel. Approaching this as something you will sustain for long term helps shift the perspective and those “bad days” are merely blips in the journey. I think that’s a great idea for you. Taking diet breaks are really helpful, not only for giving yourself a break mentally, but also your body. I’m also hoping that taking the diet break will help my metabolism a bit so that when I do decide to cut again, I don’t have to decrease calories to what I’m at now. Best of luck on your journey. You’re doing great :)
  • laurosaurusrex
    You look absolutely phenomenal. I think I recognize you from your 2016 before/after ? Congrats on your hard work!

Thank you. Haha and that’s very possible. I started at like 150 back then and got down to 118 and it was horribly unsustainably. This time I started at the highest I’ve ever been which was rough, but adjusting my “goal weight” to be closer to 120-125.
  • laurosaurusrex
    msapplek wrote: »
    Kudos to you!! You look fantastic!

And I agree with you so hard on this: "Dieting and exercising is super taxing on the body. The physical and emotional stress that occur naturally from being in a deficit is very real."

I'd like to lose another 10-15lbs, but after 8months of dieting/exercising/restricting taking up so much mental and psychological energy, I am taking a break and currently in maintainence-ish mode (increased calories a bit, still tracking and logging food daily, but not weighing myself as I think I would freak out to see weight gain, etc). This whole health/fitness/diet is still taking up my mental real estate, but the weight, pun fully intended, feels lighter on my shoulders.

Questions for you (and others who might like to share):
    -do you still weigh yourself every week while in maintenance?

-would you concretely say that your macro goals have impacted your results?
    I set my macro goals similarly to yours, but I am always waaaayyy over in carbs because I eat a good amount of fruits, veggies and grains.. and those add up to a lot of carbs. Because it was added stress to hit those macro goals on top of calorie counting, I just focused on the latter: stay within my calorie goal (and maybe increase my daily protein macros if I can). But in the new year, I wonder if I should shift things around and really try to not go so over in my daily carb macros, even if it is coming mostly from whole foods. Would like to hear from your experience if hitting up macros feels any different than CICO?

But once again, congrats on your results and your new and empowering health outlook. Your abs and waist= my 2021 body goals!

Thank you so much!
    That sounds like a great plan for you. I feel the same way as you. I’m still slowly increasing calories to see where my maintenance is but I agree with you that despite the break, it will still take up mental real estate because I still want to be conscious of the progress I’ve made/want to make.

When I do find maintenance, I think I will continue to weigh daily. I personally find the daily weigh ins to be simply data. I want to make sure once I’m at maintenance calories, that my weight remains within 2-3 pounds.

As far as the macros, not sure if my % splits had any impact on my physical results but they certainly helped me with diet adherence. I personally prefer a higher protein/fat diet. I’d actually like to have fats a little higher, but I don’t want to lower carbs or protein anymore.

I’ve actually always tracked macros so personally find it harder to just track calories if that makes sense lol. I mean ultimately it does come down to CICO but maybe give yourself a protein goal to hit and let the carbs/fats fall where they fall while still maintaining your calorie goal.

Thank you again for your kind words and wish you best of luck on your journey!!
  • chasitystiff9397
    chasitystiff9397 Posts: 25 Member
    You look great congrats what foods did you eat a lot of
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,070 Member
    Very nice thoughts there. You look great and I'll bet you feel great. I agree completely with what you say about needing to enjoy any plan. It has to be sustainable and not feel like punishment! There are things I have to say no to, and things I want more of but don't allow myself, and times I don't want to exercise but know I should, but on the whole I enjoy this process. It's allowed me to drop eighty pounds so far, so that's a good thing. And I love what you say about the focus you have chosen!
  • laurosaurusrex
    You look great congrats what foods did you eat a lot of

Thank you! I eat a lot of eggs, avocados, chicken breasts and thighs, rice, beans and veggies. I also LOVE Lil Buff vegan protein cakes and their frosting. I have one every night and they really help satisfy my sweet tooth. Definitely recommend them.
  • laurosaurusrex
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    Very nice thoughts there. You look great and I'll bet you feel great. I agree completely with what you say about needing to enjoy any plan. It has to be sustainable and not feel like punishment! There are things I have to say no to, and things I want more of but don't allow myself, and times I don't want to exercise but know I should, but on the whole I enjoy this process. It's allowed me to drop eighty pounds so far, so that's a good thing. And I love what you say about the focus you have chosen!

Wow that’s incredible!! Congrats on your achievement and finding a way to enjoy the process :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!