Cardio or Weights

Down 40lbs since mid June, probably have another 40 or so to go.

I've been incorporating weight lifting every other day into my routine, some days both cardio and weights.

We all have those days where we're just not feeling it. Obviously I want to continue cutting weight as much/as quickly as I can. So for those days I'm not feeling it, should I focus cardio or weight lifting? And are either better for getting past a plateau?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    If you are not feeling it, chances are you need to incorporate better load management.

The only reason I would ever add more resistance training is if you weren't getting adequate stimulus.
  • breannemarie1993
    breannemarie1993 Posts: 161 Member
    You don’t need to do cardio to lose weight. Like the person said above, caloric deficit is key. As long as you are getting your workouts in and eating your required calories for the day.. you’re good! But going for a walk is good for anyone’s body! Check out Jordan Syatt on Facebook or Instagram. He will blow your mind with so much good information! :)
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Cardio burns calories during the exercise. Building muscle increases your daily calorie burn. Do some of both. If weight loss is your goal diet is number 1 then a balance of training and cardio.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Down 40lbs since mid June, probably have another 40 or so to go.

I've been incorporating weight lifting every other day into my routine, some days both cardio and weights.

We all have those days where we're just not feeling it. Obviously I want to continue cutting weight as much/as quickly as I can. So for those days I'm not feeling it, should I focus cardio or weight lifting? And are either better for getting past a plateau?

If I had to pick one over the other it would be strength training...
  • ZDub84
    ZDub84 Posts: 5 Member
    Weights. Weights, Weights.
  • Both but whichever one you can do and enjoy and stay on track.
  • minnelizzy
    minnelizzy Posts: 45 Member
    Both. It really depends on your goal. Calorie deficit is key. But I’ve gotten to the size I want by not exercising at all in the past. Just diet
    This time I don’t just want a number on the scale or size of clothes- I want fitness and strength