Lazy at Drinking Water

I know it’s important to stay hydrated, especially as an endurance athlete, but I don’t have discipline since it’s tasteless. For those that had similar problems, what did u do to make drinking more water a habit? Looking for ideas

Replies

• bosque1234
    bosque1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Hey, I have the same problem. I try to doing iced or warm tea, adding powdered EmergenC to it, (a vitamin supplement), I mix it with a little Gatorade, etc. Basically I try to drink the water but flavor it with something. I also like Pellegrino, it's a fizzy no calorie water like Perrier. (but better, has no sweeteners at all). Good luck on this one, it's not easy.
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    I flavor my water with bottled lemon juice. Helps me drink a lot.

If I have no Iced Tea in the house I make a light Lemonade out of water, bottled lemon juice, and stevia.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I wasn’t a big water drinker when I began. Tried adding a lot of different things. Ended up enjoying ice water. Now, black coffee, and ice water are pretty much all I drink. I have a 20 oz Yeti mug that’s always full of ice water with me all day.

Hydration is important. You do get water from other beverages and some foods consumed. As long as your urine is pale yellow, you should be ok. For endurance athletes, there are a lot of electrolyte drinks in the market, some low calorie, if that’s a concern.
  • dinae1
    dinae1 Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks. Will work towards pale yellow. Been having muscle cramps behind knee. They say it’s from dehydration
  • dinae1
    dinae1 Posts: 10 Member
    bosque1234 wrote: »
    Hey, I have the same problem....iced or warm tea, adding powdered EmergenC to it, (a vitamin supplement), I mix it with a little Gatorade, etc. Basically I try to drink the water but flavor it with something. I also like Pellegrino, it's a fizzy no calorie water like Perrier. (but better, has no sweeteners at all). Good luck on this one, it's not easy.

We are the same. I like sparkling water too. Forgot about my sodastream. Great ideas, thanks
  • JojoInTheForks
    JojoInTheForks Posts: 134 Member
    I actually set the alarm on my phone several times a day so it reminds me to hydrate! And, since I also don't like plain ole water (unless it's a very hot day), I throw some fruit/veg in the bottom of the water jug in the fridge; sometimes cucumbers; sometimes berries. Adds a mild flavour that makes it easier!
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    I fill a water bottle and carry it around with me, or set it next to me while I work. I find that even if there's no exciting flavor, I'll sip out of it just because it's there.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I filter my water through coffee grinds. Works every time!

Ya I'm no help here :D

I thought coffee counted now? Yep, webmd tells me that my coffee counts as water 😊

https://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/healthy-beverages
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Cycling related rather than everyday life related when I don't have any issues with staying hydrated, I drink a lot of tea when I'm at home as well as water and soft drinks......

Weighing myself before/after a few long rides was very revealing that I wasn't drinking enough on the bike.

When it's very hot I struggle to keep up with my fluid needs, using insulated bottles helps as there's few things as unpleasant as warm, sweet and often not well flavoured sports and electrolyte drinks. I notice that flavours make a big difference to how palatable it is. (Trying to do a 200km on hot, nasty artifical orange-flovoured and very sweet drink with added beetroot juice was an experience!)

When it's cold (like today) because I'm feeling chilly I don't feel thirsty and I have the tendancy not to drink enough so I simply make it a conscious rather than instinctive process. (e.g. I've done 2hrs and not finished one bottle yet = drink more. I also use calorie reminders on my Garmin as a reminder about eating and drinking to a schedule.
  • jamloche
    jamloche Posts: 109 Member
    Lot's of good things happened when I started losing weight, but this thread reminds me of one thing I miss about the old roly-poly days. Back when my blood sugar was raging out of control, I used to get thirsty on an almost supernatural level. In those days, water was the sweetest ambrosia. Nothing else would do. Even room-temperature water was good, because it allowed me to drink it faster. I could guzzle it till my belly was full all the way to the top, and still be thirsty for more.

These days I prefer a cold Coke Zero™
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I filter my water through coffee grinds. Works every time!

Ya I'm no help here :D

I thought coffee counted now? Yep, webmd tells me that my coffee counts as water 😊

https://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/healthy-beverages

Hurrayyy!!! :)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    There are these new things by twinnings tea you add to cold drinks they are like dried fruits but it’s like 2 g carbs. But you can basically do the same by crushing a bit of fruit and put in a gallon of water let it mingle over night and drink next day called infusing your water. Twinings infusions is the other thing, there are sugar free water additives root beer,orange soda, Gatorade, mio and that kinda thing if that’s your deal or explore teas! I drink all kinds of teas in peach ginger, ginger mint, mornings, peppermint and more. And a water app I just got is water llama to help me bc I suck at water intake lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I flavor my water with Earl Grey tea.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    There are these new things by twinnings tea you add to cold drinks they are like dried fruits but it’s like 2 g carbs. But you can basically do the same by crushing a bit of fruit and put in a gallon of water let it mingle over night and drink next day called infusing your water. Twinings infusions is the other thing, there are sugar free water additives root beer,orange soda, Gatorade, mio and that kinda thing if that’s your deal or explore teas! I drink all kinds of teas in peach ginger, ginger mint, mornings, peppermint and more. And a water app I just got is water llama to help me bc I suck at water intake lol

This doesn't make up for Twinings messing with their Earl Grey formula last year >.<

I bought 10 cases of the old formula - they'd better fix it before I run out.
  • Not sure if this will help, but if you're eating regularly you could try making it a habit of drinking water with your meals and snacks. So two cups with breakfast, two cups with lunch and two cups with dinner. 1 cup with a morning snack and 1 cup with an afternoon snack...at the end of the day that adds up to 8 cups.