The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    @RubyRed427, that is so hard. I have a brother-in-law in Ohio who could be his clone. Everything to live for but crazy out of control. His kids are grown and doing well but have dealt with that their whole lives. Has his wife taken advantage of support from AlAnon? Or a professional? It’s great that you’re there to support her but it seems like she would really need extraordinary levels of guidance. I’m amazed my BIL is still alive and even functioning in his engineering job. It’s so painful to witness that level of dysfunction. I’m so sorry to hear about your cousin.

Wow- that is such a similar tale. Yes, I have recommended her to a friend who is heavy into Alanon. The wife has talked to her twice but never followed up with a meeting. I told her today, Alanon holds no grudges, so what if you didn't go last time, go now. So, the wife is going to look for the zoom code and password. I told her that I cannot know how she is feeling, because I am on the other end of this nightmare.

I feel for your B-I-Law's children- very very difficult to grow up in that home. This disease is progressive. I keep saying that but it's true. It only gets worse unless a person chooses to stop it.
    My cousin is the son of an alcoholic and his brothers all drink heavily. (one died from alcoholism and the other two are alive but drunks). This disease has its grip on this family of mine.
  • RubyRed427
    @Beka3695 Please let us know how you are doing. We care about you. <3
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    I feel the same way, @JenT304, --liberated. Here is a link to the Sober School blog. Kate's post yesterday (Nov. 16) was a good reminder of why it's so much better to be sober. The main thing is that the drinking life is hard. Compared to that, sobriety is really easy, once you get past the beginning, tough bit. Have a good day, all.
    https://thesoberschool.com/kates-blog/
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    @donimfp I absolutely love Kate's blog. I feel like she is speaking directly to me.
  • RubyRed427
    Nothing new here. Day 72 AF and keeping on track. The brain is slowly changing. I have been saying to myself "Sure it would be fun to drink. But the reality is you can't. You are allergic to it."

In a few weeks, I was invited to friends birthday weekend in an Air BNB. All will be drinking a lot! I will still try to have fun, but I won't drink. I have worked too hard these last two months to blow it. Nothing good comes from drinking for me.
  • RubyRed427
    I'm watching the @FeelinFooFoo documentary. Just a few minutes before work. The liver ward is full of patients. 20,000 in England especially more in young people have advanced liver disease.

much of the Middle age malaise due to drinking.
    It's quite eye opening.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Welcome to the new people! We hope you feel inspired to share your personal journeys. This is a judgement-free zone.
    @FeelinFooFoo I love reading your stories. I'm proud of how well you are doing!