Fish every day?

I’ve finally found a breakfast that’s filling for me! Which is a sea bass fillet and one egg, pan fried in 1 tsp of olive oil. Would this be healthy to eat every day? Or would it be bad to eat fish and eggs every morning?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    How long do you think you can keep this up? :lol:

I like to have various forms of protein. Fish or poultry or lean pork or even fatty meats on occasion are all in my rotation. I have a belief that variety is better than mono-food plans.

Here's the Mercury by fish list, so that would be something I'd factor in. Other than that, good luck.

https://www.fda.gov/food/metals-and-your-food/mercury-levels-commercial-fish-and-shellfish-1990-2012
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    This is highly individual. I’m very picky, so I don’t have much (aka any) variety in breakfast/lunch. It works for me, but you might get bored and find it unsustainable.

My breakfast is one of two options:

Oatmeal, sunny side up egg, 1/2 serving cheddar cheese

OR

homemade waffles

Lunch is always cottage cheese (2 servings) and a yogurt.

Dinner is some sort of chicken or beef.

I don’t eat seafood at all of any kind because I think fish taste gross.

Other than the mercury, as said above, do you mind eating it every day? If the mercury content isn’t high and you, like me, are fine eating the same things every day, have at it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    They only fish that you shouldn't eat daily are the carnivorous ones very high up in the food chain, due to possible mercury content. Tuna and swordfish fall in this category.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I eat a lot of fish. A crazy amount actually. I am a man though so the mercury issue doesn't apply to me.

You have something that works but it would be a mistake to assume that only that would work. Is sea bass affordable and is there enough supply to meet your demand? It is hard to find here and it is expensive.

The two macros you have in play are protein and fat. A leaner fish might work with added fat like avocado.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    You ain't just a woofin'. I eat fish, fish, fish almost every day. It makes me feel greaaaat. I eat 3 eggs almost every single day, too. My cholesterol is just fine but our mileage will always vary.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    FDA guidelines recommend no more than about 3 servings of fish per week to avoid high mercury levels. Striped bass has a mean ppm of ~0.167 ppm(which is in the mid-range of all species the FDA tested), but Chilean Bass is .354 ppm-- which is fairly high. [url=" https://www.fda.gov/food/metals-and-your-food/mercury-levels-commercial-fish-and-shellfish-1990-2012"] https://fda.gov/food/metals-and-your-food/mercury-levels-commercial-fish-and-shellfish-1990-2012[/url]
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    I eat fish, usually sardines or wild caught salmon, 2 to 3 times per week. My other favorite protein sources are lentils, beans, and peas.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I don't think your breakfast is a bad choice. You might want to at least change your fish up, spreads the risk (if there is any). I once listened to a professor talking about food risk. That was his advice. If you always eat the same thing you raise the factor.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    ^^^ True dat, @snowflake954
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Could you maybe grill the fish on a George foreman or oven bake to cut the frying and added oil? And mix up the egg cooking, some poached or chopped boiled egg? Is personally mix the fish types up too, maybe try some smoked haddock or a kipper? Possibly stick in some of your 5 a day with a grilled tomato or some wilted spinach or asparagus on the side?
    Other than that nothing much wrong with fish and eggs if you enjoy it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    The only thing I'd be concerned about is the mercury, as others have mentioned, and that's more of an issue if you are likely to get pregnant or consuming very high mercury fish (I'd check the list linked above vs your specific fish). I've been having fish (although different kinds) about 4x a week lately, and I've definitely gone through phases where I had a 2-egg omelet every morning, so certainly don't think 7-eggs a week is an issue (don't know how many grams of fish you are having and again the specific fish is worth checking).

I'm also someone who tends to repeat breakfast for days or weeks or even months at a time before switching it up, so I don't think that's a problem (with my eggs, I changed up the veg and what I had on the side, if anything, but it was still basically the same). I'm big on having vegetables (or at least some fruit) at every meal, but if you don't care about that the breakfast seems great to me.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    I'd do some homework about where the fish you are eating is sourced from. I'd be careful about something like tilapia sourced from China - or even salmon with dubious origins. Maybe vary the type of fish as well to spread any risk.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Sea bass is on the moderate to higher end of the mercury scales. How much depends on the exact type...apparently Chilean sea bass is much higher than some of the other varieties but they all have some.

Definitely if you are a woman who may potentially become pregnant, you should not eat this fish every day.

If you are not....the jury is out on how much the mercury in seafood affects an adult in the long term. Personally, I don't think I'd eat fish every day, especially one with high-ish mercury levels. I average about 2-3 times a week for my fish/seafood intake. But, that's really up to you to research and decide for yourself.

As a side note, DANG, I don't think I could afford to eat a sea bass filet every day! It runs about $20 a pound at my grocery store. Obviously, everyone's income level is different, though.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Sea bass is on the moderate to higher end of the mercury scales. How much depends on the exact type...apparently Chilean sea bass is much higher than some of the other varieties but they all have some.

Definitely if you are a woman who may potentially become pregnant, you should not eat this fish every day.

If you are not....the jury is out on how much the mercury in seafood affects an adult in the long term. Personally, I don't think I'd eat fish every day, especially one with high-ish mercury levels. I average about 2-3 times a week for my fish/seafood intake. But, that's really up to you to research and decide for yourself.

As a side note, DANG, I don't think I could afford to eat a sea bass filet every day! It runs about $20 a pound at my grocery store. Obviously, everyone's income level is different, though.

Yikes! My grocery store has a sale running on whole sea bass---€9.90 per kilo. That's around $5.00 a pound. However, that's farmed sea bass. Wild caught would run around € 26.00 per kilo. Around $13.00 a pound.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I eat a lot of fish. Frozen mostly. Scallops, shrimp, salmon, cod and halibut mostly. Some canned. Nothing from China, Thailand, Viet Nam. Canada, Norway, USA follow the rules more closely I've learned.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    I hear you about fish- it's a great source of protein. I have fish every other day for dinner. I alternate between wild-caught salmon and wild-caught cod. I'd be careful about that species of fish...anything that is a bottom feeder or really high on the food chain (like tuna and shark and swordfish) will have higher amounts of mercury.

I looked up Bass and you can have only 6 or fewer servings per month, and children and pregnant woman should not eat it. Any kind of Bass. I'm really glad you started this thread, because when I looked up Cod (which I eat a lot because I love the taste and texture) it has much higher mercury levels than I thought. :'( So I need to eat more Salmon. Thanks! <3

Here is a good website to look at all the different species of fish and their corresponding mercury levels. https://www.verywellfit.com/the-best-types-of-fish-for-health-2223830
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    I eat fish, usually sardines or wild caught salmon, 2 to 3 times per week. My other favorite protein sources are lentils, beans, and peas.

Both of those, especially sardines are one of the cleanest fish out there because sardines are so low on the food chain. Great choice, and I envy you for being able to eat them! Seeing them with the heads cut off and that shiny skin just grosses me out too much. Otherwise they are such a healthy food. o:)
  • Snugbug6
    Snugbug6 Posts: 30 Member
    I'd eat fish every day, but for three reasons.
    1, as lots of people already said, the risk of ingesting pollutants.
    2, the environmental impact of over fishing.
    3, my other half hates the smell with a passion. Anything more adventurous than battered cod, and he's pulling faces and in a grump 😂