starting out. baby steps. is this enough?

Hello :)
When yoyu first started out what was the first things you did?
Did you jump right in and go balls to the walls?
Take baby steps?
Just increase water?
get more steps in?

Im very overwhelemed on where to start. I am trying to cut out soda and drink more water, but then I feel like this isn't a big enough change. As then if I over eat my calories I feel defeated.
Any tips are appreciated. I know I wont lose the weight over night. But I need help staying encoughed.

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    I started by logging what I was currently eating to see where my intake stood. It was pretty easily apparent where I could easily make some sustainable swaps and/or changes to portions that would get me started in the right direction. Generally, try to keep to one variable at a time and focus on accumulating sustainable process changes rather than jumping right into the deep end. That's the approach I used to lose about 25 lbs when I first started using the site in 2012. Since that initial loss (in less than a year on the platform). I've also been successful in maintaining that loss and improving my body composition once I incorporated consistent resistance training and currently sit about 15 lbs heavier than my absolute lowest weight but significantly leaner and stronger.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    One step at a time. It's plain and simple. Setting small attainable goals will encourage you to keep going too.

When I started here I was training for something so I worked out a lot and logged everything that went into my mouth. It works!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Like others I really started to log meticulously. Because I'd done estimates before and knew I was only eating 1400 calories per day. And still gaining weight. :# And at another time I was working out like crazy and eating an extra slice of black grainy bread because it's so healthy, and still didn't lose weight. :# So I wanted to know how many calories my body really needs. :#
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    When you first started out what was the first things you did?
    I sat down and had a really serious think:
    What were my goals?
    How could I make the process as easy as possible?
    What tools would be useful?
    How can I maximise my good attributes to make success more likely?
    How can I minimise the impact of my bad attributes?
    What lessons could I learn from previous attempts?

And then I made a plan - just like planning a project.

Did you jump right in and go balls to the walls?
    Once I had my plan I immediately executed my plan.

Take baby steps?
    No. (Being goal oriented is one of my good attributes. Remember this is me and my plan, not you and your plan, know yourself.....)

Just increase water?
    No because that would be pointless for me. (No issues with my hydration and drinking more water than required doesn't cause weight loss.)

Get more steps in?
    Sort of. I was working an office job at the time and was already trying to keep my general movement up. I already had two gym memberships (work and home). Did make a conscious decision that "human-powered" transport would always be considered as my first option.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    I started (not on mfp) with a website that offered recipe suggestions for people aiming to lose weight. I didn't get on very well with that as I like my cooking to be a bit more creative, but it was an eye opener on portion sizes, and how ours were just way too big. So my first step was thinking about portion sizes. I lost about 8kg (to ca. 80kg which for me is the top of normal range bmi) just doing that in the winter of 2011-12, but gradually put it back on again. By autumn 2014, I was 85kg and the GP practice nurse said she thought I should do someting about this. I started swimming regularly and joined mfp, and started tracking food and really watching calories. I had lost to 75kg, by February 2015, and maintained at about that weight for around two years. Since then I have put it back on again, and this time I went straight to tracking using mfp and making sure I developed a good exercise routine. Nearly back to my goal of 75kg now.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Heidi it's a big enough change! It's excellent. True change takes time, by definition. Let yourself settle in to the new habits and definitely give yourself deserved credit for them. Even if you have a slip from your goal behavior now-and-then, acknowledge your progress, note the situations that accompanied the slip, be proud of yourself for noticing the slip and boldly resume habits toward your goal behavior. It's worth enjoying the journey, the joy is part of it.
  • LGS_RFS
    LGS_RFS Posts: 78 Member
    I started by logging calories which turned into Macro. After about a week I started hitting the gym hard again just before lunch. Its been about 2 months now and has become a habit during the week. Weekends tend to be active rest days since I spend most of it chasing after a 2 year old around the house or park
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Before even reading your post, I thought, “It probably isn’t enough, but it is enough for right now.

If you were holding steady while drinking several hundred calories of soda a day, then swapping to water, assuming you don’t instinctively replace those calories with different calories, can easily put you in a deficit. Keep tracking so you don’t allow yourself to eat those replacement calories, but don’t freak out if you mess up. You are learning, and whatever you do today is going to lead to a better result in the long term.

I went balls to the wall myself. I had a health crisis and balls to the wall is what works for me. Do what works for you.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I started small. I wanted to be successful this time so I wanted to see what habits were keeping the weight on. I stared by tracking everything I ate for 2 weeks. Then I looked for places where I could make adjustments. Healthy food swaps,getting my steps in extra.

Then I bought a food scale and saw how inaccurate my eyeballing and “cup” measures were. This was a game changer for me.

After a month I started to work out. Just once a week at first and now I’m up to 4-5 per week.

Every other time I tried to lose weight I put a time limit on myself and wanted it to happen really fast. I would go really hard for a month or two and then start to feel depressed and burnt out. Then I would start eating poorly again and tell myself I’ll try again next month and end up putting on more weight.

So for me it’s slow and steady wins the race. It’s the only time I’ve seen real success.

What you did this time - tracking for two weeks before making any changes - is something I often suggest to new people who feel lost about where to start. It sounds like you are doing great, best of luck to you!
  • Luvmetheweighiam
    Luvmetheweighiam Posts: 17 Member
    Did anyone lose weight just by tracking alone before exercise was incorporated
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    vshunter wrote: »
    Did anyone lose weight just by tracking alone before exercise was incorporated

If you read through the forums you will find lots of people for whom the answer to this is yes. It is for me to some extent, in that I lost my first ca. 7kg several years ago by adjusting my diet. Having said that, I was a bit active anyway because I was walking 20 minutes on my way to work and another 20 minutes on my way back.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I'm 59 and have done it several ways. In my 20's and early 30's I could drop 2 or 3 sizes in a few months by cutting way back on food and working out super hard. Guess what? I gained it back every single time.

I gave up and gained more weight, then right before my 40th bday, I decided to take small steps.

I worked on the 5th floor so initially I took the elevator up to 3 or 4 then walked up to 5. I added more and more steps. Joined a gym and went for a short workout 5 times a week. I cut back but didn't eliminate any foods. I packed my luch in a cooler.

I found that consistency was the key. For me working out at a reasonable level 5 times a week was more beneficial than than 2 or 3 days of intense workouts.

After a couple of years I started running. Slowly but I did enjoy it and even did a couple of half marathons.

I maintained an 80lb liss for several years.

I've struggled a bit more in the last few years and am about 15 pounds heavier than my ideal weight but am working on eliminating excuses and going back to those small steps. I can't run but I bike and strength train.

One key point I learned is that there is no end..it may become easier to maintain..however you can't go back to the old ways.

And ine last thing..you may have days of great motivation and others that you want to toss in the towel. Just start again the next meal or next day.

Consistent small changes will yield big reaults.

Good luck! We are rooting for you!