What is the best way to start doing pull-ups?

Hi everyone.

I have a pull-up bar but I can hardly do one complete pull-up. Is there something I can do that will help me do maybe ten pull-ups?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Band assisted pull-ups.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    In addition to band assisted pull ups, you can start at the top and lower yourself as slowly as possible, as many times as possible. You'll be sore as hell but over time you'll develop more strength. Since you can do one pull up, do that then move to the other. Soon, you'll be able to do two.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Also body rows. Basically you need to schedule frequent volume that strengthens your upper back. Getting from 1 pull up to 2 is really difficult. You are trying to turn a 1-rep-max into a 2-rep-max. With lifting you can lower the weight and increase volume. But it takes more creativity for pull-ups.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Best way is highly individualized and has many variables.

Usually performing a well rounded resistance training program with a variety of rep ranges and appropriate intensity would be a good start.

It might involve losing more weight if obese depending on the individual as well.

• Scott_Reierson
    Scott_Reierson Posts: 9 Member
    Don't forget to do the hanging scapula shrugs! Very important if you want to keep good form
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2020
    Just warmup properly. Doing lots of small shoulder work in advance. One of the several times I tore my rotator cuff was by doing pullups. Went into a gym during my weight loss years ago and tried to do like sets of 5 pullups cold and tore my rotator cuff. Took months of rehab and a huge fitness setback at that time.

I saw this device recently -- Jempet pull up assistance bands (just a fancy band for assistance) but it's cheap and looks really built well. Never tried it but I like that it doesn't have grommets on the bands, which are dangerous.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Negatives

Band assisted

Getting stronger overall
  • uppercutXpert
    uppercutXpert Posts: 23 Member
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    In addition to band assisted pull ups, you can start at the top and lower yourself as slowly as possible, as many times as possible. You'll be sore as hell but over time you'll develop more strength. Since you can do one pull up, do that then move to the other. Soon, you'll be able to do two.

Thanks for the tip. I really appreciate.
    awnurmarc wrote: »
    Also body rows. Basically you need to schedule frequent volume that strengthens your upper back. Getting from 1 pull up to 2 is really difficult. You are trying to turn a 1-rep-max into a 2-rep-max. With lifting you can lower the weight and increase volume. But it takes more creativity for pull-ups.

Thanks. I will try to do as many rows as possible. I have just ordered a rowing machine for my cardio but maybe this could help too?
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Best way is highly individualized and has many variables.

Usually performing a well rounded resistance training program with a variety of rep ranges and appropriate intensity would be a good start.

It might involve losing more weight if obese depending on the individual as well.

Thanks for your tips.
    sco0oter wrote: »
    Don't forget to do the hanging scapula shrugs! Very important if you want to keep good form

What is this exercise exactly? I have never heard of it before.
    Just warmup properly. Doing lots of small shoulder work in advance. One of the several times I tore my rotator cuff was by doing pullups. Went into a gym during my weight loss years ago and tried to do like sets of 5 pullups cold and tore my rotator cuff. Took months of rehab and a huge fitness setback at that time.

Very good advice because I also got lots of problems in the past with my rotator cuffs. I will be careful about that. Thanks a lot :)
  • uppercutXpert
    uppercutXpert Posts: 23 Member

Wow, sorry, I missed your post. This will give me all the advices I need to learn. Thank you very much.