Activity Level

gooz71
gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
edited November 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I walk my dog a mile a day at a pace where I am not out of breath. What do you think I should set my “activity level” to. Should I choose:
Not Very Active
Lightly Active
Active

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Do you spend the rest of your day walking around? or sitting? If a mile a day is where most of your activty comes from i say not very active
  • gooz71
    I am a SAHM so usually running to the grocery store things like that.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    gooz71 wrote: »
    I am a SAHM so usually running to the grocery store things like that.

So, are you doing a lot on your feet, like running around with the kids, cleaning, and such?

That would put things at, at least, "Lightly active", if not above.

One thing to remenber, though is that it is ok if you have the "wrong" activity level at first. You can monitor how much you are losing and adjust things like activity levels if the rate does not seem to be what it should. You won't lock yourself into bring stuck at any activity level on the app.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Lightly Active -trial it for a month and adjust from there..

• Leonie_M234
    Leonie_M234 Posts: 57 Member
    I would say lightly active
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited November 2020
    I tend to put myself as sedentary and then try to log pretty much everything I do. I find mfp's estimates for lightly active etc. are pretty high when I compare with how much I move during the day. (I am assuming you don't have a fitbit or similar synched with mfp; if you do you definitely need to set to sedentary so that you are not counting any movement you do twice.)
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    charmmeth wrote: »
    I tend to put myself as sedentary and then try to log pretty much everything I do. I find mfp's estimates for lightly active etc. are pretty high when I compare with how much I move during the day. (I am assuming you don't have a fitbit or similar synched with mfp; if you do you definitely need to set to sedentary so that you are not counting any movement you do twice.)

^^^

I also set mine to sedentary. I have a desk job and then I enter my exercise (walking the dog, gym, hiking, etc) separately.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Lightly-Active just for being a busy mom.
    The dog walk just tops that off. don't log as exercise though.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Just FYI not how it works.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

FYI, if you have a synced device you only begin generating activity adjustments when you've moved more than MFP estimated given your activity level. So you can feel free to set your activity level at the amount you think appropriate. It will not double-count. Someone who is "active" must move a lot more to begin seeing adjustments as they get more of their calories up front.
  • gooz71
    Thanks all for your input!