Working out with Tendinitis

I’ve made significant progress during COVID Quarantine.......Lost 50 pounds and increased overall strength through diet and exercise......weight training, biking and stairmaster.

Recently developed tendinitis in both my wrist and elbow, which has curtailed my weight training. Any suggestions on arm workouts and chest workouts that are not stressful on the elbow and wrist?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Congrats on your weight loss and strength training.

This is pretty common for people who might need to tighten up their load management or have autoimmune disease.

Suggesting resistance training without knowing your training history isn't ideal.

Perhaps post your recent training volume & intensity increases within your programming might bring about why you are experiencing tendinitis or at least shed some light on possible options that might be useful.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I've been suffering tendinitis for 15 months now. Please let yours heal. 🙂
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Give it a rest. Then try some physical therapy and massage. When mine was feeling better, I found compression sleeves helpful.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2021
    Here is a well written article that is backed by current evidence that explains the "what do" of rehabbing with tendonaphy.

Since your training history is not known it wouldn't be warranted to give you a detailed lift selection.

The article explains that many people search out passive treatment options but the supportive evidence remains strongest for exercise management which involves proper load management.

One of the key points that I found from my personal experience of dealing with tendonaphy is "rest" is not recommended.

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/the-barbell-medicine-guide-to-tendinopathy/

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Here is a well written article that is backed by current evidence that explains the "what do" of rehabbing with tendonaphy.

Since your training history is not known it wouldn't be warranted to give you a detailed lift selection.

The article explains that many people search out passive treatment options but the supportive evidence remains strongest for exercise management which involves proper load management.

One of the key points that I found from my personal experience of dealing with tendonaphy is "rest" is not recommended.

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/the-barbell-medicine-guide-to-tendinopathy/

Great link! I have OA and there was a discussion and exercises to do for it. I already do most of them, but will be adding in. It's nice to know that my approach is correct--I stay active and as supple as possible. Thank you again.