40 years old + 32 weeks = 50 pounds lost (with photos & tricks/tips)

Replies

• alisampm
    alisampm Posts: 182 Member
    Tmrfrogger wrote: »
    Congratulations, You are exactly the story I needed to read this morning! I had my weigh-in and I'm down 54 pounds since 5/1/20. I'm hopeful to start blogging about it to keep me accountability and gain some encouragement because it's certainly tough doing it by yourself and staying motivated. Keep pushing and you will definitely reach your goals!

Absolutely - creating a community that "gets it" has been sooo helpful for me! My real-life friends and family are great, but they don't really know what to say or how to support me in this journey.
  • michellevt725
    michellevt725 Posts: 190 Member
    Congratulations! I'm going to friend you. I'm starting back this week after letting things get out of control since getting pregnant with my first over 7 years ago. Prior to that I'd lost 51 lbs and, I was really feeling great about myself and, I'd gotten out of the dreaded obese BMI and, was really headed to a healthy BMI. My first goal is 10%, I have a follow up with my Dr. at the end of February to see how I'm doing with my weight/exercise/diet and, if I've not made significant changes she's going to run a slew of blood tests. I was very, very strict with my eating and, was working out a ton last time around. Almost the kind of time and, attention I can't lend this time around with 2 kids. But, I'm working on myself.
  • alisampm
    I was very, very strict with my eating and, was working out a ton last time around.

Yes, life is different when you are parenting, hopefully, you will find a way to lose without losing your joy while parenting around chicken nuggets and chips. Its a different ball game for sure. Happy to be friends. ;)

• Berniebutt773
    Berniebutt773 Posts: 28 Member
    So well done and thanks for sharing your story!!! Commitment and consistency is where it is at, not perfection. You've got the right attitude. I totally LOL'd your gaining weight with your kids that arrived via foster/adoption. I relate to that story. Blessings to you!
  • michellevt725
    michellevt725 Posts: 190 Member
    alisampm wrote: »
    I was very, very strict with my eating and, was working out a ton last time around.

Yes, life is different when you are parenting, hopefully, you will find a way to lose without losing your joy while parenting around chicken nuggets and chips. Its a different ball game for sure. Happy to be friends. ;)

Luckily my kids are super healthy eaters. My PCOS is a major hurdle and, I feel like I'm constantly under a time crunch. I'm hoping going to winter hours at work will allow me to feel like I can use that extra hour I'm home early to get a quick workout in. Thanks for accepting my friend request.
  • Latrellis
    Latrellis Posts: 75 Member
    15 years younger :)
  • AMR76
    AMR76 Posts: 9 Member
    Congratulations! You look fabulous.

Your post was incredibly motivating & insightful.

~ From one Alisa to another!
    (Not only do we share a name but a current weight.) :)
  • the_vibrant_mom
    the_vibrant_mom Posts: 19 Member
    Wow, what a beautiful transformation :)
  • danajobe64
    danajobe64 Posts: 2 Member
    Do u ever have a cheat day or go over yr calories?
  • alisampm
    danajobe64 wrote: »
    Do u ever have a cheat day or go over yr calories?

Oh for sure. But I try to be as consistent as I can. And when I go over my calories I just do the next day the same as normal. Start every day fresh and not in a hole.
  • I have been doing volume eating as well but wasn't sure what it was called. I can stay in a good calorie deficit by eating pumpkin, lentils, broccoli, tuna, chicken, berries, and things like that. I thought it was just a natural response to calorie counting. Once I figured out what some of the lower-calorie foods were, I just kept eating more of those.
  • phatShaming
    phatShaming Posts: 5 Member
    OMG I love reading this. I'm stuck! I lost 20lbs almost doing nothing but getting a job and doing normal active stuff. Then I began to workout, watch my calories (walk and run) and I can't seem to lose anything. I'm always between up 1 or 2lbs and down the same 1 or 2 lbs. My goal is 135lbs and i'm now 176. I have small goals like to just see under 170 (169) and 10lb increments. I was easily losing 5lbs per month but for the last 5 months NOTHING! I'm tired all the time now. But I keep pushing it. I dont know what else to do, or how much longer i can motivate myself. :'(
  • cugogirl2017
    cugogirl2017 Posts: 8,764 Member
    Fantastic progress and really insightful and helpful post!
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    OMG I love reading this. I'm stuck! I lost 20lbs almost doing nothing but getting a job and doing normal active stuff. Then I began to workout, watch my calories (walk and run) and I can't seem to lose anything. I'm always between up 1 or 2lbs and down the same 1 or 2 lbs. My goal is 135lbs and i'm now 176. I have small goals like to just see under 170 (169) and 10lb increments. I was easily losing 5lbs per month but for the last 5 months NOTHING! I'm tired all the time now. But I keep pushing it. I dont know what else to do, or how much longer i can motivate myself. :'(

This sounds really demotiviating. You might want to start your own thread so that people can advise?
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member

Here you go. Copied from the original post.

“When I am asked for tips on weight loss, this is my response: You need to consistently be in a calorie deficit through diet. Not sexy, but effective. It helps me to take the emotion out of it - no good food. No bad food. Just calories.

“Find a calorie tracker that YOU like (I love My Fitness Pal) and be ruthlessly honest with it and yourself, on everything coming into your body. I aimed to lose 1.5lb a week, which was a doable amount. I did go "up" to a .5lb a week goal for a week and the extra calories were great, but I was ready to hit it harder again.

“A big piece of success for me is learning that I cannot do shakes, tiny portions, fasts, etc. I just love to eat and being full too much (and that is NOT a bad thing). So I learned how to make low calorie but very filling foods. Its officially called volume eating and has made STAYING in a calorie deficit easier, but I still track every calorie. Basically focusing on high nutrition, high volume, non-meat foods most of the time so that I can feel full AND stay under my calorie limit. Its changed my relationship to food and I hope to never go back to mindlessly eating, but making mindful choices and listening to my potato and veggie-loving body. I grew up choosing mash potatoes over ice cream on a regular basis, but now I am able to do it healthily, by skipping the butter, cheese, etc, and still feeling full.

“Syatt Fitness and The Fitness Chef have also been really helpful for me to be patient and to just keep going, even when it feels hard or that its taking too long, or the scale is jumping around. They both have helped me understand weight gain and loss and to avoid the diet crazes that don't work long term.”
  • alisampm
    edited November 2020

Being stuck is frustrating for sure.

If it’s been five months I might take an honest look at how consistent you’re being with tracking. Are you tracking accurately at least 80% of the time? Are you using a food measurer? Or weight/scale for your food? When I started actually weighing my food I realized how often I was on some things that can add up.

If you already are doing that I might look at reducing your daily calories by 100 to 150 cal a day and seeing if that makes a difference after another month. I friend requested you so we can support each other. You’ve got this :-)
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    alisampm wrote: »
    I just realized I never posted my most up to date pics - looks like this thread it staying active :) so, I will post them here. Currently at 62 pounds down.

zb92pf9hf7ri.jpg

Congrats! So you’re at your first goal weight?
  • alisampm
    edited November 2020
    Congrats! So you’re at your first goal weight?

You are very astute! Yes, I passed my first goal weight of 212 (60 pounds lost) a few weeks ago. I am down 2 more from there and hanging steady.

Although I did change my "weekly goal" in MFP to 1 lb/week from 1.5 lb/week and added back in minimal calories from steps, I was starting to feel exhausted from dieting, so I thought I would take it easier for a bit, or for the long term.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. :)

If I did nothing else, and maintained at that rate and lost 52 pounds over the next year, I would be at 158, which is well under my second goal weight and on my way to my goal weight. That's a beautiful thing.

• 3greyhorses
    3greyhorses Posts: 529 Member
    What a great post! Thank you for sharing :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!