Carbs are carbs...or are they?

So I was discussing macros, with regards to weight loss, with a friend the other day and my friend was adamant that it didn't matter what your carb source was, you'd still lose weight equally as long as you were hitting the goal/recommended macros for carbs deficit.

My friends point was if your goal was 56g of carbs per meal for 4 meals(224g total daily) you could have a bottle of dr pepper(56g carbs per 16 oz *this may not be accurate but lets say it is for the argument*) and still lose the same amount of weight if the exact same person(all other variables exercise weight muscle mass proteins fats etc were the same) were to consume brown rice or white rice as their carb source for those same 4 meals.

My argument was that rice will take energy to breakdown and convert to sugar then be converted and stored as fat where as sugar is already broken down so it doesn't take as long or use as much energy to convert. Plus you will theoretically get hungrier faster because of this. You also will get a much higher insulin spike with sugar than rice which can affect weight lose by preventing the use of fat stores while in a caloric/carb deficit. You also have proteins affecting carbs in that they bind so that protein can be properly utilized and help level to have a more level insulin curve vs sugar being a higher spike and crash rather than being more homeostatic.

However, my friend says that as long as your carbs aren't in excess of your energy needs it will be used as energy and not stored.

I feel like this doesn't need to be said but I will say it anyways, neither of us are nutritionists, this is all gathered from stuff we have read so we could both be completely wrong. What is your take?

Replies

• WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    If you aren't consuming energy in excess of your needs, how are you storing energy -- from either rice or Dr Pepper -- as fat?

If you're consuming a set number of calories, whether or not someone is more satisfied by Dr Pepper or rice is irrelevant (although theoretically relevant to long term sustainability).

Furthermore, is there anyone who is eating just rice or Dr Pepper for carbohydrates? Or eating just one of those with nothing else? In the real world, someone is having some chicken and Dr Pepper or some tofu and rice or one of thousands of different possible meal combinations that are providing protein and fat in addition to carbohydrates.

Did you miss the part where i said all other things are assumed equal including protein or the part where i said the protein you consume? This is purely talking about carbs. And yes no one is eating just one of these things that is a given or at least I thought it was. But why, in an example would I need to define all possible options of carbs they could consume or need to state that they are eating x protein and y fat?
    If you aren't consuming energy in excess of your needs, how are you storing energy -- from either rice or Dr Pepper -- as fat?

If you're consuming a set number of calories, whether or not someone is more satisfied by Dr Pepper or rice is irrelevant (although theoretically relevant to long term sustainability).

Furthermore, is there anyone who is eating just rice or Dr Pepper for carbohydrates? Or eating just one of those with nothing else? In the real world, someone is having some chicken and Dr Pepper or some tofu and rice or one of thousands of different possible meal combinations that are providing protein and fat in addition to carbohydrates.

This is probably just poor phrasing on my part. But I never said it is being stored in a deficit. That was 2 points(again bad phrasing i guess on my part)
  • WombatHat42
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Your friend is right. You are wrong.

You cannot gain weight in a calorie deficit even if you eat nothing but table sugar. Of course nutritionally you would be in trouble but that is a different issue.

Fat is excess energy stored on your body. To use it you need to create an energy shortage. When you do your body has no choice but to use stored energy to fill the requirement. To do otherwise would result in death.

There is TEF which is the thermic effect of food. Some foods do require more energy to break down but the differences are not enough to gear your eating one way or another. That is what we call majoring in the minors.

I never said anything about gaining weight. The argument was about the efficiency at which weight will be lost. I poorly phrased some of this i guess, but I wasn't saying that in a deficit anything is stored.

So I guess the simple way of putting this, who is going to lose more weight or lose more effectively, someone who eats rice or someone who eats sugar? The person eating rice. Yes the TEF is minimal but eating pure simple sugar vs a more complex sugar has a much greater affect on insulin production/release which can hinder the use of stored body fat
  • WombatHat42
    edited November 2020

The reason it's relevant is that most of us are eating a variety of carbohydrate-containing foods, including grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, and table sugar. We're eating these in the context of meals with varying amounts of protein and fat. To just sweep all this aside and say "Assume it's all the same" doesn't make sense if you're arguing that a specific instance of choosing Dr Pepper over rice is going to have a relevant impact on someone's weight.

It isnt relevant though. I am using a simple example of a simple sugar vs a more complex carb as your only food source. what that source is is irrelevant. Whether you are taking in other carbs is irrelevant since i said your carb source is being met. I never said all is the same. I said all variables are equal. Meaning Person A and their routine and diet are 100% identical to person B.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @sijomial Would you please explain alcohol and how it affects the use of fat stores.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @sijomial Would you please explain alcohol and how it affects the use of fat stores.
    @Diatonic12
    Alcohol (the so called 4th macro...) can't be stored so must be metabolised as soon as possible so yes it does interfere with the normal use of carbs and fat.
    Have a search for the write up by Martin Berkhan regarding alcohol - best info I've personally read.