The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,126 Member
    mshawski wrote: »
    Morning all!

Today's blessing but kind of a curse: My weight dropped enough where it recalculated my calories, and at 1300 a day I can no longer justify 160 calories a day in half and half for the pot of coffee I drink a day. Today is the day I become a black coffee drinker. It's...um... how do people enjoy this? Asking for a friend?

Tell your "friend" they may get used to black coffee to the point they prefer it.

A friend of mine :wink: used to pollute their coffee. A little honey and some half-and-half. They cut out the honey first. Easy-peasy. They also switched to a coconut creamer for a while; lots less calories, but still pollution in the coffee. For the same reason "your friend" is thinking about this, my "friend" started drinking it black. It's now preferred. In fact, last week there was a carton of half-and-half that was used as an ingredient in sauteed chanterelles, and there was some left over. My "friend" put some in their coffee, and... next cup was black.

I have found it helps to get very high quality coffee that was roasted recently, but not too recently, then grind fresh. I really REALLY prefer pour-over coffee, one cup at a time. I do like to make coffee in a press from time to time, but using a paper filter removes the cafestol, a component in coffee that is linked to an increase in levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) in your blood. The other issue with a press is that, since some of the grounds remain in the cup, the coffee keeps brewing while you drink it. With pour-over, it just brews once.

Technique:
    • Set up filter. Fold the two crimped edges and put it in the cone. I use unbleached filters.
    • Pour some water through the filter to remove any paper particles.
    • Add ground coffee. Maybe a little less than you're used to, and you can fine tune to taste.
    • Add a bit of boiling water to the grounds to let them bloom. While the grounds are expanding, give them a stir with a spoon.
    • Then add more boiling water slowly keeping the grounds floating just a bit.
    • When the cup is full, go enjoy the heck out of it because it's a really good cuppa joe.
    • Repeat as necessary.

Enjoy!
  • kdking09
    kdking09 Posts: 246 Member
    Hey everyone! 30, buuut I feel real old lol 😆
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @LesField Did your weight loss have anything to do with it? Best regards for a full recovery, Mr. Field.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    LesField wrote: »
    Just had my gallbladder removed.
    I know I want to loose weight but not by removing bits, peice by peice.....
    vkudgj6x6zn1.jpg

hope you have a quick recovery.
  • LesField
    LesField Posts: 25 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @LesField Did your weight loss have anything to do with it? Best regards for a full recovery, Mr. Field.

Yes it is. Apparently it happens a lot with people who have lost a lot of weight over a shot period. I've lost 100lb in 8 months.
  • FutureFit2020
    FutureFit2020 Posts: 128 Member
    Just had my gallbladder removed.
    I know I want to loose weight but not by removing bits, peice by peice.....
    vkudgj6x6zn1.jpg

😯 hope you are feeling better today!
  • LesField
    LesField Posts: 25 Member
    edited November 2020
    The morning after the op and its back to work later today.
    fd6y10iwcn8a.jpg

• Diatonic12
    @LesField You have a great attitude. What is it about the short time span that does it?
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Happy Friiiiiday everyone! Hope it'll be a good day for everyone!

Black coffee is the only way for me, never been into the latte/frappuccino/pumpkin spice/caramel coffees. Only exception may be a skinny cappuccino every now and then.

Welcome to all the new faces here :)
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    So we used to have a coffee shop at the corner of our street. It was like 150 metres away. It's now a pot shop, as is almost every corner we have like 5 in walking distance.

I miss the coffee shop because I could swing by there on the way to get my boy from school and get my favourite German chocolate flavoured coffee which I got hooked on when my dad was at the hospital. I miss the coffee shop, although my wallet and waistline don't (they had the best blueberry scones too)
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Happy Friday!!!
    I am SO EXCITED for my alone time this weekend, I can hardly stand it, or sit still in my chair. My kids asked how long I was going to be gone and I said "I'll be back when I miss you" so my oldest is like...so...never? Ha...he may get his sense of humour from me.

I have my kindle loaded up, and its charging right now. My gym is closed, but there is an exercise room at the hotel so I can still get a workout in. A bottle of wine to relax with.

Welcome to all the new people here popping up, and feel free to add me!! I won't be around as much this weekend, but normally I'm on so much it's probably annoying :)
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Oh you lucky lucky woman @cgrout78 , enjoy every minute of it!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    @cgrout78 have a nice time!!!

• mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    Good morning all!

@mtaratoot - So... I assume my Southern Pecan Keurig K Cup isn't going to cut it? LOL. Thank you for the response, I will definitely give pour over a try.😊☕

@LesField - Feel better. Glad it went well.

@cgrout78 - I'm so jealous. LOL. Enjoy!
  • FutureFit2020
    Happy Birthday Angela!
  • FutureFit2020
    I am a zombie. I'd
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    Happy Friday!!!
    I am SO EXCITED for my alone time this weekend, I can hardly stand it, or sit still in my chair. My kids asked how long I was going to be gone and I said "I'll be back when I miss you" so my oldest is like...so...never? Ha...he may get his sense of humour from me.

I have my kindle loaded up, and its charging right now. My gym is closed, but there is an exercise room at the hotel so I can still get a workout in. A bottle of wine to relax with.

Welcome to all the new people here popping up, and feel free to add me!! I won't be around as much this weekend, but normally I'm on so much it's probably annoying :)

I'd kill for this. and I am basically a hungry sleep-deprived zombie lately, so I have the means
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    The morning after the op and its back to work later today.
    fd6y10iwcn8a.jpg

Wow, that was fast. You must really love work BTW :D
  • Katerr1kk
    Katerr1kk Posts: 81 Member
    A weekend alone sounds amazing! Enjoy @cgrout78!
  • Diatonic12
    edited November 2020
    @slimgirljo15 Here I am over in your tree house. Hope you're having a wonderful evening, lovely. You'll be hitting the hay here shortly. Catch you on the flipside, darlin'.