Reference Body Weight and Protein

forgive me because I am a total ignoramous and today is the first time I even heard the term "Reference Body Weight" up to this point I thought you were supposed to compute how much protein you need to maintain your current body weight based on your actual body weight

so first I came across this YouTube video

How much protein should you eat?

which led me to these PDF charts / document

https://www.dietdoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/CME-Target-protein-ranges.pdf

have you all heard / seen this? any thoughts or comments

I'm male, 48, 5'11", 180 (by the time you read this, ha ha) and 18% body fat with a goal of getting down to 15% (I actually don't care how much I end up weighing 175-185 is fine with me)

Replies

• B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    the post above would not allow me to embed these pics

kr3baz3ykg8n.jpg

jz7ypab4rd0a.jpg

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Never heard of it but, for my height, the Reference Body Weight range looks like it's middle of Normal BMI to top end of Normal BMI.

With regards to protein, once I became aware there was a suggested recommendation, I aimed at 0.8g per 1lb of target body weight as a minimum, which I must have got from posts on these forums. However, by the time I found out about this, I was close to my goal weight anyway. If you had a lot to lose, working off your target weight may not be such a good idea.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Haven't seen it, seems to be just putting into chart form what many get from calculations.
    Seems right in my case both for healthy range and amount of protein.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Embodies the "use goal weight for protein calcs" idea, which I support. Gives I little lower recommendation than I prefer for myself, but I tend to want to err on the high side, being older, vegetarian. There's some (limited) reseach support for "spread protein through the day" for aging folks, which I am; don't see how it could hurt others to do the same.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    . 8 per lb for me.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,106 Member
    @KHMcG - You are at your goal/maintenance weight, so that's appropriate. I think @muszyngr was asking about how to set a protein goal if you aren't quite at your maintenance weight, or ESPECIALLY if you are far away from it.

Most of what I have read focuses on your requirement at your "ideal" weight, and it looks like "reference" weight is probably a little bit higher than calculations for "ideal" weight. Quotes because it doesn't mean it is an actual ideal weight for an individual.

I also read that some drugs are prescribed based on ideal weight, not current weight.

🤷‍♂️