Suggestions to use

Options
I'm starting to get back into running and really don't want to only run on my street (down and back all the way in both directions is about a mile so there's that) because it gets really monotonous. However the idea of running anywhere alone makes me a little...well terrified kinda honestly. And so many of the parks around here have at least a stretch of woods or isolated place. Was awhile ago but was attached while alone somewhere. So...any suggestions on something small to carry to use in defense? I was thinking pepper spray or something but wasn't sure if there's a better option out there, though I hope to never have to use it or anything ever.

Replies

• The_Elephant_Man
    The_Elephant_Man Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Pepper Spray or if you feel comfortable, get your Conceal Carry Permit and carry a small pistol.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    A dog wouldn’t be a bad idea. They promote well being and they force you to be more active. They also give you protection and peace of mind anytime you are alone.
  • Snugbug6
    Snugbug6 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You could see if anyone wants their dog exercised for free...
    Or... What about a running ap that breaks the tedium of a dull route? "Zombies, run!" springs to mind, though I'm sure there are others.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I carry pepper spray after getting bitten by a loose dog. Haven't needed it, but it is good to have handy. Alternately, run in a place with a lot of other people out getting exercise if you don't feel safe in a remote area. School track is one option.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Have you tried going to the parks to suss out when they might be busier?

My local country park is full of dog walkers, runners, cyclists, etc. at the weekend.
  • brianpperkins131
    brianpperkins131 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Two very divergent options here.
    First - check out viable safe options. Established groups through various running shops, gyms, non-profit groups, training runs, etc.

Second - carry a usable personal defense system. Pepper spray in a strapped to your hand canister is the most accessible. A hand carried personal alarm is another option. Stun gun or pistol in a specially designed fanny pack is another (depending on local legal restrictions).
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    If you can't drive or otherwise get to a more visible running route where you feel safe (proactive safety), then perhaps run with a small set of keys in your dominant hand and consider some of these Do's and Don'ts...

https://lifehacker.com/dont-put-your-keys-between-your-fingers-for-self-defens-1819780877
  • b120in2021
    b120in2021 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Glock 19