Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I live in Iowa where all the counties are over 10% positivity. We have the third highest positivity rate in the country, a republican controlled government and our "mask mandate" is essentially if you can't social distance inside for 15 minutes then you should wear a mask unless you are in church where they cannot be mandated. I am isolating as best as I can but family member that I live with is not.

I lived in Iowa my entire life until 2019 and still know a lot of people there. To say it is really bad there right now is an understatement.

However, I will point out that there is 1 county at less than 10% positivity for the most recent 7 days of data reported (Wed Jan 22 2020 - Thu Nov 19 2020). Lucas County is at 7.87% positivity for the 7 day average.

Dang... and here they are freaking out in NY over a 2-3% positivity and closing down.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2020
    Just sayin', if anyone thinks "they just have a cold", it's one heck of a lot easier to catch the Coronvirus than a cold. If they think they have a cold or allergies, they have Coronavirus and they are in denial. It's not allergy season anywhere in the US right now. Be careful!

Not quite true... some people including myself experience fall allergies and for me, my symptoms mimic covid. I have been tested weekly since I go to the allergist and have been negative.

Well, we are going out of allergy season for most unless it's pets, dander or dustmights. Most plant allergens are Fall and Spring as opposed to Winter/Summer. Maybe I'm relating too much to my son and wife, who've had terrible allergies over the years.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    In Shelby county TN we have new restrictions now. Most are just suggestions, like they “strongly suggest” ending close contact school sports, which are our major driver of new infections right now. But one interesting one is that gyms remain open but masks must be worn at all times except in the shower or while swimming.

I’m having trouble keeping track of what’s what, last I heard they weren’t allowing showers and locker areas in gyms to be open at all! And pools were closed too. But they were allowing no masks while on treadmills as long as they were six feet apart. Now it’s the opposite.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Not directed at anyone in particular, general comment.

If you have hayfever, allergies, chronic sinusitis etc and are sneezing, runny nose etc as per your norm, no problem. (unless close contact but that goes for anyone anyway, regardless of symptoms)

As soon as anything deviates from your norm, get tested just in case.

The stance in Australia is get tested if you have symptoms, no matter how mild.

I am assuming that means if you have symptoms outside your norm.

I have mild hayfever and it is Spring here - I am not getting tested every time I sneeze like I do in Spring every year, that would be silly

Yeah, that's how I understand the policy where I live too (adding in some common sense, like symptoms out of the norm, as you said). Plus, of course, being tested if exposed to someone with it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I live in Iowa where all the counties are over 10% positivity. We have the third highest positivity rate in the country, a republican controlled government and our "mask mandate" is essentially if you can't social distance inside for 15 minutes then you should wear a mask unless you are in church where they cannot be mandated. I am isolating as best as I can but family member that I live with is not.

I lived in Iowa my entire life until 2019 and still know a lot of people there. To say it is really bad there right now is an understatement.

However, I will point out that there is 1 county at less than 10% positivity for the most recent 7 days of data reported (Wed Jan 22 2020 - Thu Nov 19 2020). Lucas County is at 7.87% positivity for the 7 day average.

Dang... and here they are freaking out in NY over a 2-3% positivity and closing down.

There are 30 states that have a positivity rate of over 10% and no national policy. Some governors have implemented stricter policies. Here, in Minnesota, they went into effect at midnight. One of the edicts is only persons residing in a residence may celebrate Thanksgiving together. Enforcing this is questionable. We will see what happens in a couple of weeks. Sometimes it seems hopeless.

As another Minnesota resident, I don't see any indication that they're planning to enforce this at all. I think it's just meant to help guide behavior.