Not loosing weight

Ok, so I'm trying to loose weight again. I am the typical person. I yo yo diet. Loose it and gain it over and over. Right now I'm at the highest weight ever. I've been on many different diets and they all work if you follow them. A few years ago, I was in the best shape of my adult life. At that time I was running a mile every morning, crossfit 3 days a week, and eating straight paleo. A month ago, I been trying to use my fitness pal to keep my calories down. I'm trying for the most part to eat paleo. I'm running every day (well sort of running... I cant run a mile anymore so I'm following a c25k program.) Then every night before bed, I walk while I listen to the news or an audible book around the block as many times as it takes to reach 10,000 steps for the day.

Things that changed in my diet. Back when I was doing crossfit and paleo, my weakness was beer. I drank beer. I still was in good shape.

I'll admit I started drinking hard liquor over the last few years. I know alcohol isn't good for weightloss. A few months ago, I stopped drinking all together.

But, my one weakness is right before bed. I stay up and watch the news and snack. Ill eat chips and salsa, a bowl of cereal (I don't drink dairy or eat anything with dairy so I use almond milk) or something else junk food related.

But, every day I eat 3 eggs and sausage for breakfast. Lunch lately its been left over dinner from the previous night, a salad with Italian dressing, or a sandwich which I know isn't paleo... but I cant cook, I work from home, and my wife works outside the home. So, I make do. Then at night, my wife cooks and usually makes something that I can eat the paleo items.

I've been pretty much plateaued since starting my exercising and dieting.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Congrats on quitting drinking! You might like this Sober October thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10811299/sober-october-who-s-in/p1

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Are you weighing these foods? Also, can’t cook is actually won’t cook. Sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but I’m the worst cook ever and my husband refuses to cook. I make do with some simple recipes and ingredients. So, yes, literally anyone CAN cook.

David - please take the following as encouragement, not piling on :)

My Gramma used to say, "If you can read, you can cook."

I found out much later she was quoting Julia Child :)

My brother is mentally ill and has a right hemisphere learning disability, and he cooked for himself when he lived on his own. Now he lives with our mother and they divide the cooking responsibilities. They eat a lot of rice and beans - she does the beans, he does the rice. Etc.

If you like Paleo and want to keep with it, how about getting some cookbooks from your library and then buy your favorite(s)?

Or check out these 2K recipes and 204 videos:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/16705/healthy-recipes/paleo-diet/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    davidorlow wrote: »
    But, my one weakness is right before bed. I stay up and watch the news and snack. Ill eat chips and salsa, a bowl of cereal (I don't drink dairy or eat anything with dairy so I use almond milk) or something else junk food related.

But, every day I eat 3 eggs and sausage for breakfast. Lunch lately its been left over dinner from the previous night, a salad with Italian dressing, or a sandwich which I know isn't paleo... but I cant cook, I work from home, and my wife works outside the home. So, I make do. Then at night, my wife cooks and usually makes something that I can eat the paleo items.

I've been pretty much plateaued since starting my exercising and dieting.

So it sounds like the evening snacking is likely the biggest problem. Before getting to that, though, are you logging? Do you have a cal goal from MFP? You don't have to eat strict paleo, but you do have to have a calorie deficit.

That aside, why a sandwich? I see nothing wrong with sandwiches, but since it seems like you want to do paleo... Personally, I usually (not always) think the insides of a sandwich are just as good without the bread. I also would (as others said) try out at least easy recipes -- you will probably be surprised at how easy cooking is.

The rest sounds like a perfectly fine plan. So back to the snacking. Basically, figure out if you WANT to be eating in the evening and if so, save cals for it. Eat less at your other meals and either eat what you would have eaten then when watching the news in the evening or else eat less at the other meals and have planned, calorie-controlled snacks. Cereal and chips aren't paleo (again, which doesn't matter, but you said you prefer to be paleo and mentioned not drinking milk), so why not try something like raw veg in the salsa or berries or jerky or eggs (save one from breakfast) or whatever you think you could either eat in a calorie-controlled way or which is so low cal that mindless eating works for you.

I'll add that although many people enjoy evening snacks and like saving cals for them, this sounds to me like it might be mindless snacking, and if so you may not actually be getting enjoyment out of it. If that's so, try to find a way to stop. If this is in part a replacement for the drinking you would have been doing in the past (been there), maybe sub with low cal beverages like herbal tea or homemade iced tea (chill herbal tea) or whatever else sounds good -- sparkling water, diet soda without caffeine, so on. Or find a hobby that uses your hands to do when watching the news (or decide to do it when pacing about for steps, maybe). Just some ideas -- you'll need to figure out what works for you.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Are you weighing your food? Counting calories is what matters for weight loss. Do you know how many calories you are consuming and how many you need to eat for weight loss?