Home Gym Equipment?

What's your go to gym equipment you use at home. I don't have a lot of room for equipment so I use a TRX, Stability Ball, & adjustable Dumbells. i'd be interested in hearing what everyone else uses as I'm always looking for new ideas.

Replies

• JosephJanutka
    JosephJanutka Posts: 1 Member
    You can do quite a few exercises with bands.
  • M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member
    As powerlifter, equipment is key for me. A quality stiff bar, a rack with safeties rated for load, and plates -- lots of plates. Those were my primary buys. After that, cable machine, dumbbells, bands, combo leg extension and curl machine, and other conditioning equipment (air bike, ab mat, ab roller, speed rope, etc) to meet my needs.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I second the cable machine. I have a pretty sweet basement set up and it’s always expanding, BUT if I suddenly had to move and get rid of most of the equipment, my goal would be to keep the following:

Powerblock adjustable dumbbells (my set is 5-90 with adder weights so I can adjust in 5 lb increments)
    FID bench
    Power rack w/safeties
    SSB
    OLY bar
    Star trac urethane plates
    Plate tree (mounted to a platform with wheels)
    Life fitness functional trainer cable machine
    C2 rower

I like having all of my other goodies as well, but I could live without them if needed. I’m spoiled by having lots of room to expand though. Although my basement is starting to get cold, so I’ve started to wear some leggings under my gym shorts.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    I've incrementally added to my setup over the years. Started with a pair of bowflex adjustable DBs and a doorframe pullbar in 2012 and now have a power rack, multiple benches & bars, C2 Rower, a treadmill, and a pulley tower. I'm to the point of needing some additional plates and wish I'd gone for a cable crossover setup or a functional trainer for some different accessory work but certainly not a must-have.

For something a little non-standard, in the spring I bought a Kabuki Strength Shoulderok and feel it's really helped my shoulder mobility. Works really well as a warm up on bench days.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Pull-up bar, parallettes, rings, jump rope, yoga mat and bands...
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Tractor tire, sled, battle rope, Kettlebell, slam ball to name a few. You can do a lot with those few items.
  • jondorf13
    jondorf13 Posts: 9 Member
    Got dumbbells, barbell and weight bench. Also, I do run few miles once in a while.
  • uppercutXpert
    uppercutXpert Posts: 23 Member
    If you don't have a lot of room, I suggest you check the Ironmaster Super Bench. It doesn't take lots of place and you can move it on the side of the wall when you want to use more space for floor exercice or something else.

I also own a pair of Power Blocks from 5 to 50 pounds. I really like them because they take virtually no place and it takes about three seconds to ajust the weight.

Check this video for the Ironmaster Super Bench. I have almost all the extensions with which I can do pull-ups, chin-ups, set-ups, dips ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bTfhJAUlLyI
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,261 Member
    @Dogmom1978 If I may ask - re: the FID bench, does it matter if it doesn’t go to exact 90 degrees? If I want to do hip thrusts, should height be 17 max? Would you pay a bit more for a leg curl attachment? Newbie(ish) and been using a flat wooden bench? I’m in temp housing situation due to covid so don’t wanna pay a lot. Scouring Craigslist and yard sales but lots of options. TIA!
  • Dogmom1978
    I don’t use my bench at 90 degrees ever. I have a preacher curl bench if I want to do curls or I do standing curls. I use my FID for abs, flat bench, and incline bench (45 degrees for my incline preference).

I don’t do hip thrusts, so I’m no help with that one.

If I didn’t have the space/equipment I already had, I would get a bench with a leg curl attachment. I have a separate commercial leg curl machine, but I have a lot of space and started building the gym years before Covid.
  • Dogmom1978
    @CeeBeeSlim

My husband said that ideally you would have a dedicated leg curl/leg extension (as I said above), but if space/cost prohibit that, the iron master bench is considered better than most and you can get a leg curl/leg extension attachment for it. They usually do a yearly Black Friday sale, but, covid, so that might not happen as most fitness companies seem to be skipping the Black Friday sale this year.

https://www.ironmaster.com/products/super-bench-adjustable-weightlifting-bench/

The available accessories are listed at the bottom of the page
  • CeeBeeSlim
    @Dogmom1978. Thanks for the helpful reply. Shoulder presses? No need for the upright position? I’m in that analysis paralysis phase of purchasing. Wow - jealous. 😀. Spacious home gym!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    @Dogmom1978. Oh my! Thanks for that info! I’m taking care of my parents during covid and they live in a military town. Lots of sales of equipment. Ugh! Days ago I saw an iron master WITH an leg curl on the base’s online yard sale site!!! I passed cuz I started during research on Amazon - and reading about curls hurting ones knees - eventually?? The benches were in the 150.00 range on Amazon. I’ll see if the iron master is around still around...😖

While I have you - 1k negotiable for a concept rower 2 and an assault bike? Don’t even know that that is, really😂
  • Dogmom1978
    I love my c2 rower. I have a B (older model and I paid $100, BUT that was a fantastic deal).

If the rower is a C or D, and you like rowing and biking go for it (especially if you can get them down on price).

I don’t do shoulder presses, but the hubby does them at a slight angle as he felt the 90 degree position put excess stress on his shoulders (he has some shoulder impingement issues).

I don’t have any issues with leg curls and my knees and I have bad knees. I don’t do lunges because no matter how I do them, knees hurt. I’m very careful of form with my squats because if I’m not, I get knee pain. I suppose like anything, everyone is an individual and some trial and error would be needed to see what you find most beneficial without any joint pain (I’m in my 40s and avoiding joint pain is pretty high up on my list 😜).
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    @Dogmom1978 If I may ask - re: the FID bench, does it matter if it doesn’t go to exact 90 degrees? If I want to do hip thrusts, should height be 17 max? Would you pay a bit more for a leg curl attachment? Newbie(ish) and been using a flat wooden bench? I’m in temp housing situation due to covid so don’t wanna pay a lot. Scouring Craigslist and yard sales but lots of options. TIA!

A Swiss ball leg curl is a substitute for a leg curl attachment. Bonus of more core engagement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwE9ppTTlXo
  • Theoldguy1
    If you're looking for rubber flooring for your exercise area and have a farm store close by, look into horse/cow stall mats. Same thing and lower cost than those marketed for fitness.

Example:

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/297882-humane-4-x-6-x-3-4-rubber-cow-mat.html?blaintm_source=google&blaintm_medium=lia&setstore=&gclid=CjwKCAiAtej9BRAvEiwA0UAWXojByJInCiPYWGvB-t1iZEv7qfKmQZsI8ol_C7Ys4LUmG9--MPHYvBoC2ZkQAvD_BwE#
  • CeeBeeSlim
    @Dogmom1978. Thanks! I had to take some time off to take care of parents and excited to get back to exercising - but the down side is i get too excited! I need a bench! And what about some bands! And a hula hoop would be great too! Ab rollers! Stability balls!! Whoo hoo! 😄. At 56, I need to be more thoughtful too. I don’t think I need an Olympic weight bench - just a bench. But Lordy- I did know weight plates could be that pricey!

Folks don’t have that much space but the deals here are great and had me thinking get now, resell or give way later. I rowed maybe twice and liked it - but I should love it for the space and money. Airdyne bike - free: back extension machine -$10.00, powerblocks - $65. That rower deal you got is sweeeeet!

@Theoldguy1 - thanks for that! I need to work on core and I do have a stability ball! 😀
  • Dogmom1978
    My entire gym floor are stall mats. I got them precovid from a gym going out of business for $10 a piece. Later when I expanded the gym, I got a few new from tractor supply for about $40 each.
  • Theoldguy1
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    My entire gym floor are stall mats. I got them precovid from a gym going out of business for $10 a piece. Later when I expanded the gym, I got a few new from tractor supply for about $40 each.

Yep, used definitely the way to go but if you have to go with new the mats labeled "stall mats" look to be at least 50% lower cost for the same or better quality vs the ones sold for the "gym".
  • M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member
    edited November 2020
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

*/ instantiate humblebrag /*

I got the majority of my flooring for free when I helped a Crossfit gym move into a new location. They gave me their old 36x48x0.5" horse stall horse stall mats, pair of farmers carry handles and some other things they were tossing that I incorporated into my home gym.