Must Have Kitchen Equipment / Gadgets?

What items do you have in your kitchen that are essential to keeping you accountable for preparing & tracking your nutrition? Mine are a good set of knives, scale, storage containers, Instant Pot, & a good non stick pan.

Replies

• Butterfly_Ninja3
    Butterfly_Ninja3 Posts: 32 Member
    Definitely a SCALE!!! When I guess, I never get it right!!! lol. My 4 ounces of meat seem to be 2 ounces when I do it without weighing it. I suck at guessing.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Utilizing the freezer is important too because sometimes I am the only one eating a recipe i make and i can divide it up and freeze some. Also, I like to keep my low calorie bread in the freezer because sometimes it takes me a while to eat the loaf.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    #1 - a scale - without it you are fooling yourself about how much you eat
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    tony2545 wrote: »
    What items do you have in your kitchen that are essential to keeping you accountable for preparing & tracking your nutrition? Mine are a good set of knives, scale, storage containers, Instant Pot, & a good non stick pan.

Pretty much the same. I also love my blender and my mini food processor. I actually lost well before I started using an instant pot, though, and neither the blender nor the food processor were essential. The storage containers were important to me for bringing lunches to work and just generally being able to prepare food ahead, which made things a lot easier. Knifes, well, makes cooking a lot easier, especially if one is chopping lots of veg, and of course the scale.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Scale. I do love my instant pot though.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,343 Member
    edited November 2020
    Scale
    Ninja Foodi ( combo air fryer/instant pot/crockpot/dehydrator)
    A sharp knife
    Silicon spoon/scraper
    Oxo hand-crank bearer
    A wooden spoon my then 6 year old daughter got me for Christmas from the dollar store twenty five year ago, and which has proven fabulously useful.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Scale
    Ninja Foodi Grill and Ninja Foodi
    Chest Freezer
    Smart kitchen appliances
    Good set of knives and handheld gadgets
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    Everything you listed plus a sheet pan and air fryer.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    Instant read meat thermometer has made my cooking much more consistent. Costs about $10 and requires as much room to store a an extra fork.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    In addition to some of the above items, I’ll add a Poached egg pan and spiralizer
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    1 scale (which I hate. I really need to get a new one.)

1 measuring cup for liquids.

1 espresso coffee machine so I spend less money on coffee and can actually relatively accurately tell how many calories are in my lattes (relatively accurately because the coffee ground packages dont have calorie info on them).

Also normal cooking utensils.

Enjoyable, but not truly needed:

1 ice cream machine (you can make healthy-ish stuff yourself).

1 Slow Cooker.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited November 2020
    What items do you have in your kitchen that are essential to keeping you accountable for preparing & tracking your nutrition?

What's ESSENTIAL for food prep and nutrition tracking?

Nothing more than a few knives, some basic cooking utentsils, a basic set of pots and pans for food prep plus a food scale ad MFP for nutrition tracking.

Everything else is extra and I've got a lot of extras; far too many to list here.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    For cutting down on fat I find the new generation non stick pans indispensible. These are ceramic coated or stone coated, not teflon. I can cook pancakes and eggs without any added fat to the pan.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    What items do you have in your kitchen that are essential to keeping you accountable for preparing & tracking your nutrition?

Nothing more than a few knives, some basic cooking utentsils, a basic set of pots and pans for food prep plus a food scale ad MFP for nutrition tracking.

Everything else is extra and I've got a lot of extras; far too many to list here.

Ditto, lol

And don't even get me started on how many spices I have.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Instant read meat thermometer has made my cooking much more consistent. Costs about $10 and requires as much room to store a an extra fork.

Yes, I used to always overcook chicken breast "to be safe" and love not having to do that anymore. And I've learned I like thighs cooked more than the standard 175 degrees.

I also realized I like salmon and tuna cooked to around 125 degrees. If I'm ordering it from a restaurant I'll say "medium rare" and that's been very helpful.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Ditto, lol

Same lol And the varieties of hot sauce I own.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    edited November 2020
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Ditto, lol

Yes, but spices aren't kitchentools. One never has enough spices. reminds me that I need to buy new galangal and assafoetida. :D
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Scale & a small dry erase board.