WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »

Oh those puppies! They are just the size we are looking for, and my husband loves terriers, so that first puppy really stole my heart.

You handled Joe well. Those situations are so tough.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    barbiecat wrote: »

:)Flea, after the loss of our beloved Brandy, Jake started immediately looking for the next dog. I couldn't bear to think of another dog and I told him that it would be like me looking for a new husband right after his death. He didn't seem to get it. I refused to talk about a new dog and then one day I was ready. That's when we found Bessie on petfinder.com.
    <3 Barbie in NW WA

That is exactly where my oldest is right now. He told me quietly last night that he is not ready to have another dog in the house. He needs more time. I am hoping that the time it will take to get a new dog will be enough time. I am trying to respect that, but my husband is on a mission. And when he gets that way, there's not a lot anyone can do to slow him down. I think his unstated goal is to have a new puppy by Christmas.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    edited November 2020
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Flea- So sorry to hear about your pup! Since your hubby is looking at pics of pups, is he thinking of finding another one to give some love to? I really miss having a dog. The only way I could do it, would be if I had the funds to build a dog run and house for it in my back yard (due to daycare). No $$ now; maybe in a few years...

So good to hear from you! I had to giggle about "naked weekend." I did that when my boys were potty training. It is so much easier.

Hubby's motivations are two-fold (or maybe three-fold). He wants our son to have the experience of having his own dog, which he has never had and which he has been asking about. We didn't want more than one dog at a time because we live in the suburbs and have a very small yard. Now we have an opening. Second, I am really missing a canine companion on my walks. Leif hadn't been able to walk for a few weeks (the last walk he went on, he walked a couple blocks, just slowly stopped and looked at me, and I had to carry him home. We started looking for strollers for him after that, but the end came before we could find one). And lastly, he turns 62 in February and is convinced he is on his last decade (or years). I'm not sure I believe that, but he does have heart issues in his family, and on his mother's side, men didn't live past 60 because of it. I remind him that they died before adequate medicines or medical help, but he won't listen. (He is very much a glass half empty fellow). Last night he told me that this is the last dog he is going to have, so he wants to make sure he gets the one he wants and he doesn't want to wait too long for it.

Rant warning -- so his mother talked like this my husband's whole life -- she was always on death's door and couldn't do this or that because it would be too taxing and she might die. She lived to be 82. Just saying. Older than any of my grandparents and my father. Older than my mother is now.

So yes, he wants a dog for himself, but he is also thinking of my youngest and me.

And back to Barbie's analogy about finding a husband so soon if one died. I'm pretty sure if I die before my husband does, he will be on the market looking the next day. He doesn't function well alone, and I don't think that's particularly healthy, but it is what it is.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

• OregonMother
    I do have things my Dad made for me and a jackknife that was his. He had so many of them my brother and I, and his 3 grandchildren all have one. Dad believed you didn’t go anywhere without one in your pocket, when he passed my brother put one in the pocket of the suit he was wearing.
    Tracey in Edmonton

:cry: :cry: That is so sweet!! I put my grandfather's putter in his casket. He might need it, and I know he wouldn't want to be caught without it. It was a good one.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Started to get down about C-19 restrictions. Volunteers put up holiday lights every year in Azalea Park as a fundraiser but also as a way to lighten the winter nights. This year cancelled as impossible to enforce social distancing in the park. But oh! Those creative volunteers. Instead, they’re installing their displays along highway 101 for all to enjoy as they drive past. Gave me quite a lift this afternoon as I drove home in the near dark. Katla & Rita I’m feeling the shortened days too and will grasp at anything to keep me from “and dark is my only companion.”

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    November: better than October.
    daily: sit with Joe: 20, weigh: 21, steps>5491=8531 vits=21 log=21 CI<CO=18 CI<250<CO=10 Tumble & Shadow 5=21 mfp=21 outside=18 up hill=17
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=0 rx=3 dance=2 clean 30 mins=11.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=13 play=0 sew=0

I wish it wasn't such a long drive up there, I would love to see the lights while driving up 101. I love to drive around and check out all the lights, like we did when I was a kid. Before, my husband thought it was a bit odd to want to drive around but after all these years, he has given in and we do drive around a little. Found a large display on my way to walk at the park so get to enjoy that every evening now.

Debbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    edited November 2020
    Tracey - Love that picture of Ember and the tv! :D
    Your tv is so big! I've got an aversion to big tvs. My son's one is HUGE! It terrifies me. :p

Well, I bit the bullet, despite D H's sensitive feelings, and have cancelled my own Christmas presents with almost everyone. My son said he would still give me something yummy, so I modified it to a small foodie treat and ordered theirs straight away from Amazon. My step daughters and my other son are cancelled. He is fine with it. We won't be seeing anyone for present exchange, or for Christmas, and I am not putting up decorations this year. Christmas is cancelled. What a relief! I still have to check with my sentimental SIL, but she gave me a c..p present last year that went straight to the charity shop and this year's birthday present was nearly a month late. I hope to pluck up the courage to cancel our exchange.
    We arenot even going to have Christmas Dinner this year. Dover Sole is in the freezer. :D

Heather UK, hoping for a low key Christmas and an early vaccine. Xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    mrsbfe wrote: »
    Oh really?

49reke4ejstn.png

A very tiny Sheri in OH

I sure wish it was accurate- mine has said I would be between 128-132 in five weeks(but has been saying it for the past nine months!!!- I track all my food and exercise and each day it tells me the same) I wish I could figure out how to get the scale to move so this is accurate.
    Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    Good morning all! I am alive and kicking; but it was a very trying week with the two potty trainees. The first day we had 12 accidents between the two boys! The second day we were down to eight accidents; but both boys had bms in their underwear. :( The rest of the week we managed to get by with two to three accidents each day from each boy. So exhausting. I felt like I was living in the bathroom. We would go outside to play and one of the boys would have to go potty or have an accident and we were ALL back in the house to get it taken care of, because my yard is not fenced and the street is a busy one; so no kids outside without me. It was just crazy. The parents have texted me since Friday and they are having "naked weekends" and the boys are making it onto the potty more often, now! lol I just have to get through Wednesday and then I have the four days off for the holiday! Whoot!
    Anyhow, I was able to sleep in this weekend and had nothing really pressing that needed to be done. Today, I am getting a desk set up in our spare room because I am getting one of my older school kids (he's five; so not that old) back for the rest of the year as schools are going virtual. He will have two half hour zoom sessions at his desk, then will stay in the kitchen with me (and the other school kids) during nap time and do some schoolwork/quiet play. I also need to rehang a curtain rod and a new medicine cabinet in one bathroom. Nothing exciting.
    Oh! Tim got our enormous wreath hung up outside our house! It is a big (six foot circumference) wreath; and he did it himself! Usually he asks me to come hold the ladder; I guess he was feeling really good to not even ask me. Maybe someone has been sneaking him some potbrownies?
    Beth- So sorry to hear what has been going on with your son; but so glad you are bringing him home for a while! I bet you are very proud that he stood up for himself and that someone recognized that ability to do so! Looks like that ability runs in both parents!
    Annie- Happy belated birthday!
    Heather- Happy belated anniversary! Your walk sounds divine! Your dinners always sound delish! I like to think about you and your hubs. It seems to me you are both in a "very good place", physically, mentally, spiritually. hugs to you both!
    Machka- The pics from your walks are beautiful! Isn't it wonderful to live so close to water and have easy access to nature/trails?! That is what I like best about where I live. Did anyone guess what the two white things/sculptures are?
    My guess would be giant bike trainers.
    Barbara- I love what the community did with the lights! What a wonderful way to lift people's moods! I giggled when you mentioned Joe being snippy with you while you were cleaning a space for the stove guy. Tim is that way; I generally find that I am not the reason for his pissy attitude. He is usually angry about something else, in pain, or upset that things seem out of his control. Men are strange creatures.
    Debbie- There have been shortages on decorations and things like that in my area, as well. Not sure if it is due to less/nothing coming in from China (where a lot of it is made) or if more people are decorating early due to the rough year...?
    Michele- I totally get why you are travelling to be with Jess and Colby for Thanksgiving. I am sure you will take care and use your masks, hand sanitizer, wash hands etc. Being away from family for the holidays is hard. I am an old hand at this; so this year, for me, really is no different than any other year. I guess that is a blessing, right? lol Not sure what you mean by a "healthy pumpkin pie". Pumpkin pie is already the healthiest dessert pie you can have during the holidays! Not much sugar, lots of pumpkin, and only one crust! Nothing "nasty" about that! lol
    Rebecca- I love all of the pictures and family stories you share! Such a wonderful, rich history and so well kept! And you are one of those people, who when I see a child photo of, I know immediately who it is! It seems funny to say "you haven't changed" because of course you have; but really, You haven't changed! lol
    Flea- So sorry to hear about your pup! Since your hubby is looking at pics of pups, is he thinking of finding another one to give some love to? I really miss having a dog. The only way I could do it, would be if I had the funds to build a dog run and house for it in my back yard (due to daycare). No $$ now; maybe in a few years...
    Okie- Love tree and deco! I always have tree envy. IF I put up a tree this early, the kids would have it dismantled within a week or two. So I always have to wait until a little closer to Christmas.
    Tina- migraines are the worst! I used to get them often (about once or twice a month). They would last for a day or two and usually include vomiting and needing it to be dark and cool in the room. I am positive that mine were somehow linked to menopause. The began at about age 40 and lasted until I was 45. I began menopause/perimenopause at the same time. Haven't had one since. I did eat a lot of tofu and soy based products to lessen them as well. Not sure if that lessened the length or severity. Wish I had been keeping a diary back then... Hope you get some relief soon! P.S. if all docs were like Dr. House, I would be in to see him for every condition I have (and some I don't). Love me some snark in a dreamy package!
    Julie- So, I am curious, are the students in France doing virtual classes? And I am sorry, I can't remember exactly what your position is; do you teach or are you in an administrative position with a school? Are you working through the shut downs? Hope your tests come out well or at least with some insight for the docs to figure out the problem.
    Tracey- I think you are taking amazing care of Ember! Do you have a dog of your own, as well? What kind of dog is Ember? I love it when my daughter and her family drive up, rather than fly; because then they bring Chappie with them. I love that dog! He is big/medium sized. He weighs about 80lbs, and is a shar-pei, pit, and it looks like german shepherd mix. A mutt and a rescue dog. But so loveable and loyal to his "pack". I walk him twice a day when I visit, no matter the weather. My daughter and son in law only walk him on weekends (they have a good sized fenced in back yard). I also play in the back yard with him and Joaquin (Miguel will probably join in on my next visit, now that he is walking).
    Lisa- lol Well, passing gas is a good sign at the docs office. Better out than in! Hope you continue to see your weight/health go back to normal!
    Terri- Glad you can get together with your family! Even socially distant, it is nice to be face to face and in their presence; don't you think?! Can you share a pic of your Christmas card artwork? I would love to see them!
    Vickymva- Welcome! Feel free to jump in and contribute about whatever information you wish! As you can see, we are quite chatty and cover a wide range of topics about our everyday lives; because it all affects how we feel and our health! My name is KJ (Kelly) and I live in west Michigan, USA. I just turned 54 (Whoot!) and I joined this lovely group about five years ago. I am 5'8" and currently weigh 240, so have about 90-100lbs to lose to get to my ultimate goal. Covid sent me into a tailspin and gave me a lovely 20 lb gain since March. I will get there! You will achieve your health goals, as well! Keep logging your meals, visit and chat when you can! Hugs to you, new friend!
    Pip- It does suck that, this year you are living so close to your family, and you have to skip the hols due to the virus. Major suckage! But, I am glad that they understand your decision. Hugs to you!

Well, this post has gotten unusually long, even for me! Love and hugs to all of you! I better get moving, otherwise I will just become too comfortable and decide I am not moving, today! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

oh, how I don't miss potty training- just finished with hopefully my last one- 12 accidents between two boys in one day is terrible- I never had to deal with that many in a day when I had 12 two and half year olds in my preschool class. 3-4 a day from one kid at the beginning was the worse I have ever dealt with.

There is an abundance of decorations every where here but just no angels. :(

Debbie
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,687 Member
    Kelly - I hope Tim continues to feel better, if someone is making something special for him it seems to be working.

We do not have a dog of our own. We both grew up with them, Rodger more than me. Ember is a mutt. Her Mom is part German Shepard and part Mastiff. The Mom is a farm dog, it seems there was a male dog show up but no one knows which one, the Mom had 11 in the litter, Ember is the runt.

We seriously considered getting one of these ones but by the time we decided it was too late, they were all taken. I’m glad now, I think it will be nice to just have a grand puppy.

Rodger is trying to teach Ember to speak, he is “barking” and Ember comes and hides under my legs. She is a wimp. 😂😂😂
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Flea: I am so sorry for your loss. Dogs are valued family members. We lost our previous dog on a trip to CO to visit our daughter. We asked for DH’s sister to keep her while we went to Colorado. Our dog was out in the garden snapping at bees and was stung in the throat. She ran for the house and died on the door step. DSIL was devastated. We were devastated, too. DSIL had her remains cremated. We brought her remains home and scattered her ashes in a favorite boat anchorage. She loved to play in the water there. We shed some tears. Then we started looking for a pup. We still have him. He recently had cancer surgery. He is now happy and well. We will enjoy him as long as we can. When he does pass we will grieve and then look for another dog. They are important parts of our lives & our family. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Heather: We will decorate our home for Christmas, and will have both an outdoor Christmas Tree and an indoor one. I crave light during the darkest days of winter and the Christmas lights and decorations we put up really help my level of happiness. The lights chase depression away. :heart: Travel to see our kids and grandchildren is not something we want to try this year. DH will not fly, and I will not leave him here alone. Driving from Oregon to Illinois & Maryland in the middle of winter is not a smart idea. :noway: Maybe we can take an extended trip next summer. We’ll have to see how things go with the CoVID pandemic. :ohwell:

I would like to visit Arrow at the stable today, but it doesn’t seem very likely right now. DH has been feeling a bit low & doesn’t want me to go. I don’t have the level of energy it takes to ride a large horse who has been stall bound for a while.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,285 Member
    B)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Kelly
    Did I miss your birthday! I see on Facebook you recently had one! :):/;):)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,388 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    finished with my Christmas cards, so ya'll might be getting one from me, no need to send one back if you aren't into sending cards. Just know you are thought of by me. <3

I have sweet memories of my mother bonding with our huge toddler sized turkey. She would get up periodically throughout the night before Thanksgiving, changing its water, in the sink. Then in the morning, she'd take it out of the bag, rinse it, and gently rub oil over its body. It was our job to make the "bed" that would be the fancy dining room table. First layer the pad, second layer the color, which we had a nice orange huge cloth. Next came the lace tablecloths. We normally had an add on card table that the kids sat at. That one got the plain sheet with the lace tablecloth with the stain on the corner. We would find the glass pickle containers and the containers for the black olives. While people came, then dined on celery filled with cream cheese, or peanut butter. I got to fill the milk glass pepper mills, and the salt shakers. Such a production, but it was exciting. Now I open boxes, add butter, or milk or water. But I still pay attention to details, and realize, I will never come close to the production I grew up with, (as it should be). <3

Hugs!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington

Rebecca, THANK YOU for sharing your memory. We used to help with all the prep work for the holiday dinners. All the family getting together with so much food. Now, I will cook a small meal for the three of us then take food over to mother in law. Husband has to work both Thanksgiving and the day after(his birthday) and my parents are going to one of their neighbor's house to join them. I so miss family get togethers. We will be up there for Christmas but most likely, it will be just us, no cousins, most likely my younger sister will be working most of it but may come out for a quick visit although a good chance she won't- the virus is crazy where she is working and she doesn't want to risk giving it to my parents. We are being very careful so we can be up there with them.

Went shopping today, trying to find an angel- flat wooden/felt/foam/?? to put on the top of the tree wall hanging I am doing for former mother in law. WHAT is going on this year- no angels- checked all over, Michael's and three dollar stores and found none. Husband said it is because they are not "politically correct". SO wrong!!. I know we could have found something at Hobby Lobby but the line to get in was crazy long. All stores are limiting customers to 25% of capacity. Saturdays are busy there anyways but we really didn't want to wait to get in.
    Husband came home and tried again to print one on his 3D printer(had fails on it when he tried last time). Turned out out good for a base, now I need to decorate it so I can get the tree done and shipped back to Indiana this coming week. I want her to enjoy it as long as possible.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Awe Debbie, you are quite welcome. I have come to realize I can never recreate those memories, and so its kind of freeing to just ponder. I had the mind and expectations of a girl, so everything out of the ordinary, was magical. I still cry at the drop of a hat at those touching Maxwell House commercials though. The sailor making coffee, gets me every time!
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, take BP, OSPHO’d rust, wiped down top, sides and innards of Aunt Elsie’s stove, put burner grates in ammonia to soak away decades of grease, watched STAS Day 17 (side)
    Bonus: 2 hrs line danced at the port, reconciled savings/checking accounts, paid credit card bill (now where will the $$ come from? [gulp] ), donated two chairs, motorcycle helmet and boots (and a box of miscellany) to the Humane Society Thrift Store. Opened another box. [shudder]
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, livestream church, FINISH cleaning Aunt Elsie’s stove parts, tape then paint back and under burner steel with high heat paint, email info to grantwriter, watch STAS Day 18 (go sniff), submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Sleeping with the Devil, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs. Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments
    New Ways November
    20 make a meal using a recipe or ingredient you’ve never tried before: hmm time to try curried lentils?”
    21 learn a new skill from a friend or share one of yours with them: might ask T for an intro to sewing session.

While clearing space in the garage for the stove guy to work, Joe and I were at odds. Everything I did, ran counter to what he’d planned, and vice versa. At one point Joe complaind about me keeping a furniture store. Wondering if Joe’s irritation with my clinging to stuff associated with Mama and Papa, could be because he didn’t have those good associations? Hmm. In any case, when my initial, kneejerk reaction to his attitude was snippy, “Thank you, Barbara for donating two of Mama and Papa’s chairs” (sometimes I say what I wish he’d’ve said), later I backpedaled and asked what I could do to help him. We finished the job amicably, he returned to the man cave and I could get on with what I’d set out to do: progress on cleaning Aunt Elsie’s stove. Today it was painting all the badly rusted surfaces with OSPHO, and doing the 3rd or was it 4th degrease, this time with ammonia (angels singing here, ammonia REALLY works.)

Heather What IS it with front office medical staff these days anyway? Good on you for checking your results online. Knowledge is power.
    Lisa thankful to hear the good edema and RHR news. Back in the day when Doctors acted like they thought they were gods, perhaps they’d have felt tender toed, but today, they’re all so overextended their patients MUST check their own results as part of their self-advocacy/care. I think most good doctors today wouldn’t mind, but almost expect it of us.
    Flea, couldn’t help myself. You said “puppy”. these appeal to mehttps://www.petfinder.com/dog/tayberry-49850942/or/oregon-city/4-legged-friends-tx2340/
    https://www.petfinder.com/dog/dolorita-or10781-t-49859741/or/beaverton/mutts-meows-rescue-tx1399/
    But this one looks like Shadow https://www.petfinder.com/dog/onyx-local-dec-19-20-49849891/or/hillsboro/animal-rescue-kingdom-ark-tx971/
    Annie so sorry to hear of the estrangement. Keep praying, miracles happen.
    Beth praying for negative test results and swift resolution of the caregivers’ appalling lack of care.
    Tracey good for you for gradually exposing Ember to strange noises, while allowing her to retreat when needed. Hugs to lucky little Ember who has such a great DogGrandma.
    Tina was thinking what Fae said. Suspect Joe’s glaucoma has been masquerading as headaches for awhile.
    Sue in WA fingers X’d for DD’s dental fix. Really stinks to have to have a do-over.
    Michele you are cultivating a good positive attitude about Christmas. Brava.
    Okie :love: that tree!
    Rebecca your mother’s thanksgiving production sounds like my Mama’s, except you forgot the watermelon pickles! Her “issues” sound like Mama’s too! :laugh: beautiful pics.
    Julie good luck Tuesday!
    Ginny “…stink, stank, stunk” :laugh: Truth that!
    Machka headaches that presented like mini strokes or seizures? OMG. So glad the main trigger (coffee) is something over which you have choice/control.
    Allie praying real hard your recovery is swift, painless and complete. ((hugs))

Wanted to ask C what she and her DH did for their anniversary, then realized they couldn’t travel, or go out to dinner or to a show or anything, so I might not want to hear what they did :devil:. Started to get down about C-19 restrictions. Volunteers put up holiday lights every year in Azalea Park as a fundraiser but also as a way to lighten the winter nights. This year cancelled as impossible to enforce social distancing in the park. But oh! Those creative volunteers. Instead, they’re installing their displays along highway 101 for all to enjoy as they drive past. Gave me quite a lift this afternoon as I drove home in the near dark. Katla & Rita I’m feeling the shortened days too and will grasp at anything to keep me from “and dark is my only companion.”

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    November: better than October.
    daily: sit with Joe: 20, weigh: 21, steps>5491=8531 vits=21 log=21 CI<CO=18 CI<250<CO=10 Tumble & Shadow 5=21 mfp=21 outside=18 up hill=17
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=0 rx=3 dance=2 clean 30 mins=11.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=13 play=0 sew=0

Oh yes forgot about those! The color of pickled watermelon rind was a ridiculous color!
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Hello,I made it....feel like i got runnover by a freight train... but i made it.

That's our Allie <3, you ride that train for a spell, and just heal! Hugs friend!
  • Whidislander
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    jamisina66
    Welcome and visit us often. Is there a name you would like for us to remember you by? :)

Allie
    So glad to hear the operation is over and praying for your quick recovery.

Rebecca
    The photo of your young self with Mimi reminds me so much of Athena!

Carol in GA

yep <3
  • Whidislander
    Good morning all! I am alive and kicking; but it was a very trying week with the two potty trainees. The first day we had 12 accidents between the two boys! The second day we were down to eight accidents; but both boys had bms in their underwear. :( The rest of the week we managed to get by with two to three accidents each day from each boy. So exhausting. I felt like I was living in the bathroom. We would go outside to play and one of the boys would have to go potty or have an accident and we were ALL back in the house to get it taken care of, because my yard is not fenced and the street is a busy one; so no kids outside without me. It was just crazy. The parents have texted me since Friday and they are having "naked weekends" and the boys are making it onto the potty more often, now! lol I just have to get through Wednesday and then I have the four days off for the holiday! Whoot!
    Anyhow, I was able to sleep in this weekend and had nothing really pressing that needed to be done. Today, I am getting a desk set up in our spare room because I am getting one of my older school kids (he's five; so not that old) back for the rest of the year as schools are going virtual. He will have two half hour zoom sessions at his desk, then will stay in the kitchen with me (and the other school kids) during nap time and do some schoolwork/quiet play. I also need to rehang a curtain rod and a new medicine cabinet in one bathroom. Nothing exciting.
    Oh! Tim got our enormous wreath hung up outside our house! It is a big (six foot circumference) wreath; and he did it himself! Usually he asks me to come hold the ladder; I guess he was feeling really good to not even ask me. Maybe someone has been sneaking him some potbrownies?
    Beth- So sorry to hear what has been going on with your son; but so glad you are bringing him home for a while! I bet you are very proud that he stood up for himself and that someone recognized that ability to do so! Looks like that ability runs in both parents!
    Annie- Happy belated birthday!
    Heather- Happy belated anniversary! Your walk sounds divine! Your dinners always sound delish! I like to think about you and your hubs. It seems to me you are both in a "very good place", physically, mentally, spiritually. hugs to you both!
    Machka- The pics from your walks are beautiful! Isn't it wonderful to live so close to water and have easy access to nature/trails?! That is what I like best about where I live. Did anyone guess what the two white things/sculptures are?
    My guess would be giant bike trainers.
    Barbara- I love what the community did with the lights! What a wonderful way to lift people's moods! I giggled when you mentioned Joe being snippy with you while you were cleaning a space for the stove guy. Tim is that way; I generally find that I am not the reason for his pissy attitude. He is usually angry about something else, in pain, or upset that things seem out of his control. Men are strange creatures.
    Debbie- There have been shortages on decorations and things like that in my area, as well. Not sure if it is due to less/nothing coming in from China (where a lot of it is made) or if more people are decorating early due to the rough year...?
    Michele- I totally get why you are travelling to be with Jess and Colby for Thanksgiving. I am sure you will take care and use your masks, hand sanitizer, wash hands etc. Being away from family for the holidays is hard. I am an old hand at this; so this year, for me, really is no different than any other year. I guess that is a blessing, right? lol Not sure what you mean by a "healthy pumpkin pie". Pumpkin pie is already the healthiest dessert pie you can have during the holidays! Not much sugar, lots of pumpkin, and only one crust! Nothing "nasty" about that! lol
    Rebecca- I love all of the pictures and family stories you share! Such a wonderful, rich history and so well kept! And you are one of those people, who when I see a child photo of, I know immediately who it is! It seems funny to say "you haven't changed" because of course you have; but really, You haven't changed! lol
    Okie- Love tree and deco! I always have tree envy. IF I put up a tree this early, the kids would have it dismantled within a week or two. So I always have to wait until a little closer to Christmas.
    Tina- migraines are the worst! I used to get them often (about once or twice a month). They would last for a day or two and usually include vomiting and needing it to be dark and cool in the room. I am positive that mine were somehow linked to menopause. The began at about age 40 and lasted until I was 45. I began menopause/perimenopause at the same time. Haven't had one since. I did eat a lot of tofu and soy based products to lessen them as well. Not sure if that lessened the length or severity. Wish I had been keeping a diary back then... Hope you get some relief soon! P.S. if all docs were like Dr. House, I would be in to see him for every condition I have (and some I don't). Love me some snark in a dreamy package!
    Julie- So, I am curious, are the students in France doing virtual classes? And I am sorry, I can't remember exactly what your position is; do you teach or are you in an administrative position with a school? Are you working through the shut downs? Hope your tests come out well or at least with some insight for the docs to figure out the problem.
    Tracey- I think you are taking amazing care of Ember! Do you have a dog of your own, as well? What kind of dog is Ember? I love it when my daughter and her family drive up, rather than fly; because then they bring Chappie with them. I love that dog! He is big/medium sized. He weighs about 80lbs, and is a shar-pei, pit, and it looks like german shepherd mix. A mutt and a rescue dog. But so loveable and loyal to his "pack". I walk him twice a day when I visit, no matter the weather. My daughter and son in law only walk him on weekends (they have a good sized fenced in back yard). I also play in the back yard with him and Joaquin (Miguel will probably join in on my next visit, now that he is walking).
    Lisa- lol Well, passing gas is a good sign at the docs office. Better out than in! Hope you continue to see your weight/health go back to normal!
    Terri- Glad you can get together with your family! Even socially distant, it is nice to be face to face and in their presence; don't you think?! Can you share a pic of your Christmas card artwork? I would love to see them!
    Vickymva- Welcome! Feel free to jump in and contribute about whatever information you wish! As you can see, we are quite chatty and cover a wide range of topics about our everyday lives; because it all affects how we feel and our health! My name is KJ (Kelly) and I live in west Michigan, USA. I just turned 54 (Whoot!) and I joined this lovely group about five years ago. I am 5'8" and currently weigh 240, so have about 90-100lbs to lose to get to my ultimate goal. Covid sent me into a tailspin and gave me a lovely 20 lb gain since March. I will get there! You will achieve your health goals, as well! Keep logging your meals, visit and chat when you can! Hugs to you, new friend!
    Pip- It does suck that, this year you are living so close to your family, and you have to skip the hols due to the virus. Major suckage! But, I am glad that they understand your decision. Hugs to you!

Well, this post has gotten unusually long, even for me! Love and hugs to all of you! I better get moving, otherwise I will just become too comfortable and decide I am not moving, today! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Well, its interesting to look at photos of my younger self. I have forgiven that girl, years ago, and I seem to now look at photos with more a sense of gratefulness. My Mom and I dealt with my high school years as best we could, me lashing out because my father left us. I however don't think I helped my Mom much in dealing with her divorce. But on the good side, she found my step father Bob, and they had 19 years together. <3 I truly believe that for every bad thing, there is a good thing right around the corner.
    Rebecca
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,752 Member
    B)