Trimming the waistline 😌

Making a serious attempt at getting to my goal weight before Christmas 🎄🎄don’t have too much to loose but not so easy at 45 I find it’s more difficult in my 40’s

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,511 Member
    I hear ya. It's way easier to put it on, and way harder to take it off now that I'm 44! Lol
  • Omg totally! And I’m walking lots have lost my work out mojo. Know I should be doing some weights etc ... finding it difficult to start 😳
  • Katerr1kk
    Katerr1kk Posts: 81 Member
    I have found pilates and weights have done wonders for my waistline! (40s here too)
  • KickassAmazon76
    Omg totally! And I’m walking lots have lost my work out mojo. Know I should be doing some weights etc ... finding it difficult to start 😳

Having just started again, all I can say is just do something. Today. Anything that pushes you more than normal.

It may be enough to help you remember why you loved it. I think I'm falling in love with my barbell again. 😊
  • NorthStar77
    NorthStar77 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Making a serious attempt at getting to my goal weight before Christmas 🎄🎄don’t have too much to loose but not so easy at 45 I find it’s more difficult in my 40’s

Good luck
  • jiujitsudad15118
    jiujitsudad15118 Posts: 462 Member
    Hey @CatherineGarrihy same here. Competing with myself to get to a goal weight before Christmas too! And 45 as well!! Never thought of it as a thing but it is...
  • Haha well it definitely is a thing ! I find loosing weight in my 40’s much harder. Also motivation to exercise enough a little harder too! But hey here we are doing what we have to do! Go the 40 club !! 🤣
  • jiujitsudad15118
    jiujitsudad15118 Posts: 462 Member
    Haha well it definitely is a thing ! I find loosing weight in my 40’s much harder. Also motivation to exercise enough a little harder too! But hey here we are doing what we have to do! Go the 40 club !! 🤣

I always thought it was a misconception
    But I guess it’s true! Living it kinda!!
    The pushing yourself harder is tough too!!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    It’s not true that losing weight in your 40’s is harder.

You just need to weigh foods accurately and eat in a deficit.

As for goal weight by Christmas, OP, that’s only a little over 4 weeks from now. If you are close to goal a reasonable weight loss is probably .5 a week which would mean you only have 2 lbs to lose. If so, congrats on being so close!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    It’s not true that losing weight in your 40’s is harder.

You just need to weigh foods accurately and eat in a deficit.

As for goal weight by Christmas, OP, that’s only a little over 4 weeks from now. If you are close to goal a reasonable weight loss is probably .5 a week which would mean you only have 2 lbs to lose. If so, congrats on being so close!

I'll speak only for myself... I found it much easier to stay in a deficit when I was in my mid to late 30s than I do in my mid 40s. Mostly because I wasn't so freaking broken.

My ankle is wrecked, (along with my shoulder, hip and back to some extent) so I can't do the crazy cardio I used to, everything hurts and my metabolism has slowed. (yay aging)

So yeah, I recognize I need to eat at a deficit to lose weight, but the game HAS changed and it IS harder than it used to be.

I know I need less calories than I used to have because I can't do the same kind of intensity, and that sucks... But it is what it is. My life is a different life than it was, and takes some adjustment. I can do it, so can the OP, and so can any other 40yo out there... I just feel that saying it isn't harder is a bit dismissive of the op (and many other's) experiences.

Just my 2c.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    If you think losing is harder in your 40, just wait until you get to your 50s or 60s which means that your body have being carrying about all that fat for 10 or 20 more years.
    No time like the present - best to start now even if it's slow to come off.
    I was fine right up to when I hit 59, after that I start having all kinds of pain that I never experienced in my past years.
    So take it from someone who is in their 60s, do the work now and enjoy your later years
  • Dogmom1978
    I find it dismissive and a cop out to claim its harder to lose weight because age or any other excuse. Too many people believe the myth that it’s harder to lose weight because we’re older. Yes, you will have some minor fluctuations to metabolism but not enough to make that a real factor in weight loss unless you have some underlying health conditions.

I am as active now, if not more so, than I was in my 20s or 30s. Why? Because I chose to make my health a priority and because I know that as we age, it is MORE important to focus on being active and healthier as our bodies can only take so much abuse.

I’m losing weight more successfully older because I understand how weight loss works and I’m willing to put in the time and effort to make it happen.
  • KickassAmazon76
    socajam wrote: »
    If you think losing is harder in your 40, just wait until you get to your 50s or 60s which means that your body have being carrying about all that fat for 10 or 20 more years.
    I was fine right up to when I hit 59, after that I start having all kinds of pain that I never experienced in my past years.
    So take it from someone who is in their 60s, do the work now and enjoy your later years

On a side note... My mom is in her 70s and has struggled with losing her whole life. She's been tracking on MFP for about 8 months now and has lost 60lbs!
  • Dogmom1978

On a side note... My mom is in her 70s and has struggled with losing her whole life. She's been tracking on MFP for about 8 months now and has lost 60lbs!

YES! Because age is just a *kitten* number!
  • socajam
    Dogmom1978 - what you are missing is that the body goes through changes as one ages and folks develop diseases that can affect losing weight as readily as when they were younger. Your metabolism also changes and slows down.

KickassAmazon76 - that may be true for your mother, someone people are lucky, whilst a large portion of the population do have a hard time to get the weight off.

Also it could be as one get older and the diseases rack up, this creates a frightening effect and motivates one to buckle down and get that weight off.

Medication is expensive and when you look at the two - it's far cheaper to lose the weight than having to struggle every month to find the money to buy medication.

For me it's easier to lose the weight than taking diabetes medication daily.
    My thinking is that if I have to take this medication daily, this boils down to the same thing as exercising and tackling my portion control - which is my main eating problem.

I also look at the cost of diabetes medication and to me it does not make sense to pay that money when I can do something about it and save my money.

Everyone is
  • KickassAmazon76
    Dogmom1978 - what you are missing is that the body goes through changes as one ages and folks develop diseases that can affect losing weight as readily as when they were younger. Your metabolism also changes and slows down.

KickassAmazon76 - that may be true for your mother, someone people are lucky, whilst a large portion of the population do have a hard time to get the weight off.

Also it could be as one get older and the diseases rack up, this creates a frightening effect and motivates one to buckle down and get that weight off.

Medication is expensive and when you look at the two - it's far cheaper to lose the weight than having to struggle every month to find the money to buy medication.

For me it's easier to lose the weight than taking diabetes medication daily.
    My thinking is that if I have to take this medication daily, this boils down to the same thing as exercising and tackling my portion control - which is my main eating problem.

I also look at the cost of diabetes medication and to me it does not make sense to pay that money when I can do something about it and save my money.

Everyone is

Oh please don't misunderstand... I was sharing my mom did it, but it's been very hard for her. I do think it is harder as you age. Everything changes and the same things don't work the same as they used to. Medical conditions mean adaptation. Emotional issues often mean adaptation.

I believe it is still possible, but I also believe it is harder. I think it's ok to say that it feels harder, because for many it feels exactly that. And feelings are worth acknowledgement.

It is still possible, with determination and focus, and it is VERY much worth it. ♥️
  • socajam
    KickassAmazon76 - It certainly worth it to be healthier and lighter at any age and more so as we become older - lack of medication and the added pressure that weight places on our joints that have made many people immobile or having to use a wheelchair due to excess weight.
  • XLNC1981
    XLNC1981 Posts: 114 Member

45!????? Neverrrrrrrrrr 😝🤪😝🤪 Don’t look a day older than 35🤩

From my social experience... it’s harder to put down the 🍷 after 40 than it is the scale digits but you have to train your body to burn the calories more efficiently.

I’m 39 and less is more. Shorter, snappier workouts... keeping lunches light to save calories for a more substantial evening meal.

It’s all do able if you want to, don’t let your birth year hold you back!! 🍸🍸 chin chin