My first summit of Mt Baldy via Bear Canyon

Ok so it’s not a huge mountain but people in Southern California love to hike up Mt Baldy so I figured I would do it. I finally found a good meetup group with a great leader who focused on safety, proper gear etc. Bear Canyon route is known to be difficult as a 6.5 mile trail with 6000 ft elevation gain up and then you have to hike back. For those reasons it isn’t heavily traveled. Weather was good and I did get some snow patch but not enough to try out my black diamond spikes.

Oddly enough, out of 20, I was third to the summit. I prefer to hike at a consistent pace rather than stopping so much and it seemed people had trouble with the steepness either ascending or descending. Anyway I did feel some sense of accomplishment finally getting to this famous summit.2zphuz3g4drf.jpeg
wzy6o0mqb1gz.jpeg
i8m3ncm97oxe.jpeg
jmudqiatkizj.jpeg

Replies

• litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Fantastic! So satisfying to get to the top isn't it?
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Congratulations! What a gorgeous day. There's nothing quite like a strenuous, challenging hike on a day when it all goes right. What a great opportunity. Good for you for finding it!! :)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Congratulations!! Holy crap, 6k of vert in 6.5 miles, that's RUDE! Well done. 😁

Looks like the views are worth the leg burn. Also looks like people are dressed for cold at the top.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Amazing!!!
    Its kind of sad to think there are so many that dont get to see what a beautiful world we live in! Standing at the top is one of the best things!!