What's your fav keto recipe?

jelleigh
jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
I'm on a doctor prescribed diet that is essentially like a keto diet that is lower in saturated fat/cholesterol. I'm looking to find some new recipe staples for diners and lunches.
Anyone have some favorite recipes?

My recipe addition that I discovered this week was homemade flax crackers. So simple and fast and like MAYBE 1g net carb. 1 cup flax seed to 1/2 cup water. Mix spices into the water first and then mix into the seeds (full or ground). Let sit for a bit and then spread on parchment paper, top with seasonings (I used Everything but the bagel seasoning) and bake at 375 until crispy. You can change up the cup of seeds a few different ways. One time I did half seeds, half ground meal. Today I did 1/4 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup flax seed, 1/4 cup chia seed, 1/4 cup ground flax. Topped them with tuna salad for lunch and so yummy and easy! Plus an amazing fiber source.

What's your go to keto/ low carb recipe?

Replies

• mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    I know there are vegetarian/vegans on keto out there who manage to combine low carb with low saturated fat. I personally don't care about cholesterol and I stick to a classic eggs/cheese/meat + some veggies (broccoli, spinach, cauliflowers) for my fibre content. My cholesterol (both good and bad) raised dramatically during the adaptation phase. My GP ordered me to stop with this diet or I would literally die. I decided to stick with my regime and repeated my blood tests 6 months later and cholesterol levels went back to normal.

I am not advocating ignoring what your doctor says, btw. You need to make your own choices. I just think that the fear of cholesterol and saturated fat is based on old information from the 1950s/60s that has been proven largely unfounded.
  • path7975
    path7975 Posts: 25 Member
    I have been keto for 8 yrs and this happened to me years ago. I now have a Doctor who supports the keto way of eating. Although I have been up & down weight wise (but stuck to keto) over the years I’m now ready to lose the final 5.5 kgs. 🤗
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Bacon
  • gerlcat
    gerlcat Posts: 27 Member
    There are a lot of good recipes and success stories in the Woman’s World Magazine. I put the ingredients in MFP and this came out to 3.4g carb per serving!
    It is very good 💜
  • path7975
    I think I have just worked out how to reply to messages 🤗 you’ll have to excuse this 70++
    Love the meatloaf recipe but think it would work out better in a loaf tin, I have a great keto marinara sauce recipe if anyone needs it you can use it with shiratiki noodles if you are vegetarian (which I’m not)😊
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I’m not keto but I am diabetic so having a few handy things to eat when I don’t need more carbs is useful. My favorite simple dessert is a spoonful of almond butter mixed with a spoonful of cacao powder and a dash of vanilla extract. You need the real one ingredient almond butter (Maranatha started adding cane sugar to theirs!) and 100% cacao powder which is ground cacao nibs, not cocoa powder.

I also like making crackers from Parmesan cheese and a little spray oil.
  • path7975
    I’m not keto but I am diabetic so having a few handy things to eat when I don’t need more carbs is useful. My favorite simple dessert is a spoonful of almond butter mixed with a spoonful of cacao powder and a dash of vanilla extract. You need the real one ingredient almond butter (Maranatha started adding cane sugar to theirs!) and 100% cacao powder which is ground cacao nibs, not cocoa powder.

I also like making crackers from Parmesan cheese and a little spray oil.

Have you tried keto granola bars? My son in law (who was type 2 diabetic) loves them and still eats them when he visits as I try to always have them on hand in the fridge.
  • gerlcat
    Yes, path7975 please post the marinara sauce recipe!
    Some of the no sugar added Jar sauces are quite pricy in my opinion!
    Thank you 😊
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2020
    Homemade marinara is usually keto-friendly unless one is so low carb that the tomatoes are an issue (and can be used with lots of foods besides pasta, of course).

Basic southern Italian version: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015987-classic-marinara-sauce

The one from my fav Italian cookbook (Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking): https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015178-marcella-hazans-tomato-sauce

Some other recipes you will find may have a bit of added sugar, but I've always omitted it.

(Bit of background on why some recipes/cooks do use a bit of sugar at times: https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/sugar-tomato-sauce-secret-article)

Rather than plain marinara, I tend to add a variety of other veg too, however, which adds carbs, but also some fiber and of course nutrition.
  • path7975
    gerlcat wrote: »
    Thank you 😊

150g cherry tomatoes
    25g basil
    2 cloves garlic
    30g onion/shallot
    60g tomato purée
    60ml EV olive oil
    Salt & pepper to taste
    Place all ingredients into blender and pulse then enjoy. 😊
  • gerlcat
    path7975 wrote: »
    gerlcat wrote: »
    Thank you 😊

150g cherry tomatoes
    25g basil
    2 cloves garlic
    30g onion/shallot
    60g tomato purée
    60ml EV olive oil
    Salt & pepper to taste
    Place all ingredients into blender and pulse then enjoy. 😊

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!
    😀😀😀
  • path7975
    You are most welcome. I grew my own tomatoes & basil this year & have a whole draw full in my freezer which I use for spaghetti sauce & cook meatballs in it which my grandkids love without knowing it’s keto. 🤗
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    We had tagliata di manzo tonight. Replace the gratin dauphinoise side with pureed cauliflower to reduce the carb content. Or pureed tinned butter beans if you don't mind having some carbs.
    0kvwdgv31lbc.jpg
  • acpgee
    Cambodian beef lok lak is another meal that is essentially steak on salad. Skip the optional rice but do include the optional sunny side up egg traditionally served on top.

6yn51dosw8m3.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Nam Prik Ong from NE Thailand is a meal of raw veg dipped into a wam spicy sloppy Joe type sauce. Skip the optional rice or blitz cauliflower rice to skip the carbs.
    d6z91zjgikd1.jpeg
  • gerlcat
    acpgee - Your meals look AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, and DELICIOUS ! ! !
    😋 🤤
  • acpgee
    Some more keto meal ideas:

Gado gado, leaving out the potato
    https://www.recipetineats.com/gado-gado-indonesian-salad-with-peanut-sauce/

Bagna cauda, skipping the bread
    https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/bagna-cauda-2827

Grande alioli, skipping the potatoes
    https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/grand-aioli

Also with any asian meal, replace the accompanying rice with cauliflower rice made by blitzing raw cauliflower in the food processor to a rice like texture. Cooked pureed cauliflower is a good replacement for mashed potatoes. If you don't mind some carbs considered beans or lentils as a starchy side.